Running Hot Elixur ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Running Hot Elixur ??

I've been battling running hot on the highway for a while and have looked into replacing the rad. I did recall reading about a fix for vehicles that ran hot with no apparent malfunctions and thought I would give it a try.
Some background.... 1.6 Sami, using a 160 thermostat. Helped a little around town and on the highway, but I was still concerned, thinking it was just a band aid sollution. I noticed that my electric fan was on all the time on the highway (it comes on at 185). Thinking that the thermostat is always open (running at 180-205), I installed a 180 thermostat to allow the coolant more time in the rad. I also drilled 2 1/8" holes in the thermostat. So far (and this is just preliminary), it's running a bit cooler around town and hopefully will get it on the highway this afternoon to see how it runs.
I thought I would pass this along as there have been some posts regarding running hot/overheating. Maybe it will help someone.

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 01:05 PM

Re: Running Hot Elixur ??

The two holes you drilled, you mean you just drilled holes in the thermostat like where it is offset from the center? on the sides?

88 hardtop, homemade SPOA, 31's
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 02:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was wondering about zukiguy, the holes you drilled, sounds like youre going around the bimetalic spring, be care full??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 02:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Get back with us once you driven it for a few days. I may just do that, although I'm thinking about slapping a sidekick radiator in mine if it is a larger capacity rad. Anyone?

Neal the Zukiguy

"If it is '...a Jeep thing...' I hope it isn't contagious"

88.5 Weber carb, header, 4.16 t-case, 31x10.5 M/T's, 2" s/r, 2" bod lift, front tube, Swift seats
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I drilled the holes on each side of the jiggle pin. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the sides. The jiggle pin is on the 52mm plate that seats it in the housing.

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 11:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Crow:

Where is the temp meter sitting when the engine is warmed up?

Also, what is the history of this radiator? Is it well-used (100k miles on it)? Has it ever been rodded out by a radiator shop?

Messing with the thermostat like that may not really be helping the problem.

I had my radiator rodded out, new hoses and OEM thermostat and the rebuilt 1.3 runs at the center of the scale on the temp gage.

The solution is to verify that the cooling system is back to spec, then start looking for other heat-related stuff like poor timing, slipped timing belt, etc. Or even check the timing stuff first! If you have the "Green Hymnal", you can use it to make sure that the cam is in the proper position with cylinder 1 at top dead center without resorting to taking the timing belt cover off. If it isn't, then you have a reason to open her up and readjust the timing belt.

Ackerdackerly and

'Ol Yellow Wheels before...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2001, 12:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Stupid question time:
>>Or even check the timing stuff first<< Ackerly wrote

How would the timing affect the temp?

Neal the Zukiguy

"If it is '...a Jeep thing...' I hope it isn't contagious"

88.5 Weber carb, header, 4.16 t-case, 31x10.5 M/T's, 2" s/r, 2" bod lift, front tube, Swift seats
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2001, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

The temp meter is sitting at just below the 1/2 mark between the cold and hot lines. That equates to 175-180 as indicated by an Autometer temp gauge.

The rad is more than well used. It has roughly 165K on it and has never seen a radiator shop. I know it is in need of replacement, but I'm trying to buy some time. I'll go with the 3 row rad when funds allow. The problem beganright after the new motor was swapped. It runs just fine (temp wise) around town, but on the highway it gets warmer than I wouild like. The temp gauge went from the middle to 3/4 in the center scale. I didn't know what this really meant temp wise, so I installed an Autometer temp gauge. In reality, it isn't running as hot as I thought. So far, I haven't gone over 205 or so, even in this heat wave we're having. The stock gauge is really suspect. I replaced the sender with one from PEP Boys. Quite possibly, the sender is not the best and is giving me these readings. What leads me to believe the rad is in need of attention or replacement is the raise in temp on the highway. I haven't had the opportunity to give it a good run on the highway yet with my band aid sollution. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it buys me some more time.
Can you explain what they do when they rod the rad out?

All Good Medicine,
Crow

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2001, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I forgot to mention that when in stop and go traffic in the heat of the day, the stock gauge reads about halfway. Only on a long highway run does it go to the 3/4 mark.

All Good Medicine,
Crow

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2001, 02:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

>How would the timing affect the temp?

Advanced timing runs hotter (yet develops more power, as long as you're not detonating). Retarded runs cooler.

The why of this is that the flame front takes a certain amount of time to spread through the cylinder, raising pressure and generating heat as it goes. If you give the flame front a good head start (advance your timing), pressures will be much higher by the time the piston reaches top dead center, and higher still as the piston descends, generating a lot more power (and heat). Note that it takes more energy to arrive at TDC in this case, but the net effect is more power (and heat).

Conversely, retarded timing means the flame front is trying to catch up with a soon-to-expand cylinder volume, and combustion pressures never rise as high as they could. Retarded timing thus means less power, less friction, and less residence time of a burning mixture in the cylinder, so less heat.

I hope that makes sense.

Dowry1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode