Who's happy running stock, near stock w/29 UPDATE! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Who\'s happy running stock, near stock w/29 UPDATE!

I just wanted to get the views of people who run their zuks with 235's or 30"s. Right now my sammy is bone stock and I'm torn between going SPOA w/31's or just throwing on a 1" shackle lift, 2" body and slap on some 235's or maybe 30's and maybe a locker. I know zukikid with his super stock sammi has earned some respect on this board and so far I've been amazed at what I can do on just 205 street tires. Most of my wheelin will be done in the woods on mostly small, tight trails, but I still want to be able to follow all my buddies that are running 33" and 36" tires on their jeeps. Any advice would be great because I will base my decision on what I read on this board. Thanks a million guys!

Matt Schiccatano

88' Zuk (one buddy called it a "puddle jumper"!)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 11:10 AM
mike shannon

Re: Who\'s happy running stock, near stock w/29\" or 30\"

just go spoa and get it over with. you will more than likly do it in the future. it will run with 31s decent but you wont use 5 on the higway much. it will trail ride way better and the mud is not a problem. then save for some t case gears and rock. later mike

zuks and toys
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 11:35 AM

I have to say, I just went from stock to spring over and I absolutely love it. I'm attaching a pic from the big bear bash last weekend and my stocker would've never made it up this hill. the ruts were so deep. if I were you, I'd go spring over and get it over with.

Following Christ is a lot like wheelin', just follow the road (trail) less traveled!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-509453-bash34.JPG (89.4 KB, 8 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 12:08 PM
Old Hand

You need to ask yourself this question.........

Will I be happy with 235's or 30's after a year or 2?

Have you ever heard of the Zuk bug? Most of us have already been bitten. Once you're infected.....well.... your tires will never be big enough.... your lift will never be tall enough..... etc.

If you can honestly say that 235's will be the biggest tires you'll want... well then stay SPUA and just use longer shackles or whatever. You'll be amazed at how well a stock or close to stock Zuk will do with 235's.

But chances are that you'll want to go bigger one day.... so go ahead and do the SPOA now. Once you're SPOA it's easy to get more lift or get more flex or add bigger tires or..... you get the idea.

Good luck....

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img][email protected]
http://www.geocities.com/jbird88_5/index.html
http://www.geocities.com/zuwharrieinfo/
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 12:08 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Most of driving is the driver. However, 31's keeping up with 33's and 36's is asking a bit much. The 33's, maybe, but if they're running and needing 36's, you'll be dragging the 31's over the trail.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 12:20 PM
Old Hand

Re: Zuk 31\'s vs Jeep 33\'s

I disagree......: ^ )

I have a friend with a 97 TJ on 33's. I'm on 31's and have more clearance under my diff. Zuk diffs are very small compared to Dana 30's and 44's. Plus a Zuk is narrow and can't follow the exact track of a jeep. Only one side of the Zuk will fall in the ruts made by the wider jeeps.

Years ago another friend with an '80 CJ5 with 33's, we would play follow the leader. I only had 235's at the time. And neither one of us could lose the other.

Don't under estimate the Zuk! : ^ )

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img][email protected]
http://www.geocities.com/jbird88_5/index.html
http://www.geocities.com/zuwharrieinfo/
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 12:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I ran 29x10.50 swamper sx tires on mine w/addaleaves and 1"longer shackles for 2yrs.Had a lot of fun set up that way,especialy when i put a locker in the rear!

Bluecrawler.......1988Sami,Spoa,1.5springs,33s,loc kers,5.13gears,etc,etc
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 12:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I'm happy just to be running.....

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 12:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The first thing I bought for my Sam was a set of 30x9.50 AT's. For about 6 months that was the only mod I did. No lift, no engine beefs. Just tires. I had to cut the fenders, bang out the seem under the fender flares.

I was able to go through puddles of water and mud that I had gotten stuck in just the week before with stock tires. But I couldn't climb worth beans. I wouldn't advise anything larger than a 30" with stock gears. And even then, yer pushing it in my opinion.

If yer going to go an inch, you might as well go 4 inches. It's the same amount of work, and the yield is far greater. You'll be happier in the long run.

Height is not the only factor to consider. I have seen set ups with several inches of lift that had little to no gain in articulation. Investigate everything first, take your time to analyze what yer buying into when you decide on the lift.

I'm not saying you HAVE to go out and put a SPOA and 3" springs with a 2" bod lift. There are small, subtle ways to get an inch or two here and there and get some decent articulation, and still maintain near stock as you seem to want.

And listen to these guys here, by and far they know what they are talking about.

Neal the Zukiguy

"If it is '...a Jeep thing...' I hope it isn't contagious"

88.5 Weber carb, header, 4.16 t-case, 31x10.5 M/T's, 2" s/r, 2" bod lift, front tube, Swift seats
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 01:15 PM

I'm running 29s with an SJ410 T-case. I was running with a stock T-case and I was content. I don't care much for the 410 T-case with 29s so I'm going up to 31s in a few weeks. I'm also doing the 1.6 conversion this weekend.

AARRRRRRRG! 1987 Red JX 'vert, 4.5 BREEZE SPOA, SJ410 T-case (not sure how I like it), 29 Super Swampers (31 BFG M/T knock offs - eventually) AARRRRRRRG!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode