OT-trails web site - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 01:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OT-trails web site

This is a cool site, mostly Colorado trails since the creator is in Colorado. I think it would be good to see more input from other parts of the country.
http://www.4x4trails.net
Hope I got the clicky thing right.

Andy Bridgeman Longmont, CO '87 Samurai (Shih Tzuki)stock drivetrain/Calmini 2" SR/235-15 Hi Tec MT's/rem. doors with quick disconnects/Robyn 23 Chan CB/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 03:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: OT-trails web site

Yes you got the clicky thing just right!!!!

DannyL

http://www.partszuki.homestead.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 03:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Danny,
At least I've done something right today. Maybe you could get Canada added to that 4x4trails site?

Andy Bridgeman Longmont, CO '87 Samurai (Shih Tzuki)stock drivetrain/Calmini 2" SR/235-15 Hi Tec MT's/rem. doors with quick disconnects/Robyn 23 Chan CB/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 03:58 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I think that's a recipe for disaster.

How many people are now going to just show up and use the trails, and how much more damage will result?

How many people will show up that just like to destroy trails with no regard to treading lightly?

How many Eco-Terrorists will now go monitor those trails and raise a stink about how much the environment is suffering?

It may not be a problem out in the West, but up here in New England we all know how fragile a trail system is and how little it takes to loose it. There are VERY few places to wheel anymore, and the last thing we want to do is publicize the remaining few to the rest of the world. Sorry, but you won't see me adding to that list.

Also, how do we know if the trails listed are even legal? Because they said so on the website? How do we know we can trust that the information is current and correct?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 05:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I won't try to persuade you to change your mind but I don't think this site has caused any problems as far as more damage to trails or trail closure. I think it's great for people to use as a guide to find trails. From what I've seen those that damage trails, litter, tresspass etc. find places to do that without a guide. They just turn down any road or trail & do as they please.

I haven't had any encounters with Eco-Terrorists. If a group wants to monitor a trail they can find them without using this web site.

I like the site because a lot of the trails have good directions & even pictures from people that have been there. You can find these trails on maps & guide books also but on the site you may be able to contact someone that was just there last week. In Colorado many of these trails are adopted & maintained by 4x4 Clubs.

The site tries to report trail closures which should keep you off trails that are illegal. Many of the Colorado trails are Forest Access roads which are marked as such with a sign on the highway, these are legal to drive on. Most of the Colorado trails are seasonal, being impassable due to snow in the winter and/or gated by the Forest Service during winter until the spring runoff is over to avoid damage to trails when they are muddy.

I can't speak for the rest of the country but I think it is a good site & could help plan a trip to wheel out of state.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 07:41 AM
Can't Get Enough

Cool site, thanks for post. I especially enjoyed the panoramic quick-time shots.
With lots of good places to wheel out west, that's a big help. But in some places (as JEEPN showed concern about) we are limited to access and want to guard what we have so it stays available. I echo his concern. Here in Indiana we have only a couple good places to go wheelin' - The Badlands in Attica being about the best. Hoosier National forest has some "old roads" that are great but they get abused at times and there is talk of restricting that access. time will tell....

Scott Trester - '88.5 Suzuki Samurai
http://RockPile4x4.tripod.com/Scott.html
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 08:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I hope that if more responsible people get involved in actually using their 4x4's to wheel that we will have a louder voice in keeping the sport alive. Last year we had a terrible incident in Caribou Colorado which is an abondoned mining town, some mining still takes place in the area & it used to be home to the Caribou recording studio. A Denver Disc Jockey who has a Ramcharger announced on the radio that there would be a mud fest at this old town. About 200 vehicles showed up at this illegal event and tore up about 20 acres of fragile ground which is on private property. I think it is still in court. Those that showed up were mostly young people that just followed along blindly. This D.J. has pulled other stupid stunts. He is supposedly a fellow 4-wheeler but the area he tore up is along a system of trails where you can drive about 18 miles on trails with only a short section you have to drive on a paved road to get from one trail to another. It was clearly posted that the land was private but that stopped none of them.
I am very concerned about access to wheeling areas being taken away.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 10:30 AM

Well, I don't know how this is gonna come across, but I'm gonna say it anyway....
Cal4Wheel is implementing a plan to get disabled men, women, and children involved in 4 wheeling. They have events just for the purpose of taking disabled people on back roads and to national monuments. Doing this works 2 fold. It allows disabled folk to get out into nature and enjoy God's creation and the nations monuments, and it also helps keep trails open because there is a law that restricts the government from not allowing access to public land and national monuments to the disabled. Many disabled rights groups have lobbyists in Washington and I'm sure you can see where this is going. Anyway, I know this is somewhat off topic, but I thought it somewhat relevent to the upset over trail closure. It maybe something that more clubs should look into. I tell you what taking out someone that is always in a wheelchair or having a ride along with a child that has MD is a great experience.
Sorry that this is off-topic.

Following Christ is a lot like wheelin', just follow the road (trail) less traveled!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode