Buyers Beware !! Zooks, Lies & Video Tape... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Buyers Beware !! Zooks, Lies & Video Tape...

While I was at the Melt, I met a fellow zooker who knew the previous owner of my 87. Man, what an interesting and yet disurbing conversation we had.
He knew much of the history of it. Like the mileage on the 1.6 was 145k, not the 45k I was told. And the mystery spring lift...I was told that it sat higher than stock zooks but didn't know what was done to the springs to achieve this by the previous owner. My new aquaintance said he knew as he did it for him.
They were several other items that raised an eyebrow. I brought him to see it as it now stands and he began to applaude, saying "You've brought it back from the dead".
As I got deeper and deeper into this Sami, I began to question and see first hand that this Sami had a rough life prior to my ownership. I don't for a second regret buying it, as it has become a great learning experience and quite possibley, an obsession. If you ask my neighbors, they'll say that I'm out there every day and night, regardless of weather, doing something to it. This is usually by choice and I love wrenching on it. It's almost like entering a meditative state when working on it.
So, what's my point? I guess I really don't have one as I vent. I would not have minded if the previous owner really didn't know certain things, but to out and out lie, I find disgraceful. There are few things that are worse than this. I wish him no bad medicine. I only hope that he learns the lessons here and speaks with straight eyes in the future.
As for me, I know there are lessons for me as well. So, I wrench and learn.....
A wise man once said something like,"What does one do on the road to enlightenment" The answer...chop wood and carry water. And what does one do after enlightenment? The answer....chop wood and carry water".

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 05:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Buyers Beware !! Zooks, Lies & Video Tape...

Sorry to hear you got lied to Crow...I like your witty comments, you have some good ones..so I think I shall go get some water now, it's a longer walk then chopping wood.

Drive fast and take chances.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 05:52 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Well I think alot of us have had experiances like this with at least one of our samis, The wildweasel Turned out to have 2 bent axle housings A really slap on body and paint job, But I fixed/ replaced all that,And That is one reason why I now am so knowledgable about them, So I wouldn't have traded it either. But sometimes with my wiring harness and
carb problems (STock carb) I was ready a few times to sell it. SO I understand compleatly.

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 07:10 AM
Keyboard Implanted

understand crow, been in your shoes tooo many times man. just remember, what goes around, will alwasy come back around........
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 07:37 AM
I Do This For The Glory

<font color=blue>But sometimes with my wiring harness and carb problems (Stock carb) I was ready a few times to sell it. </font color=blue>

Glad I'm not the only one thinking like that. I'm also glad no one else lives close and we get no visitors, I'd have sold it REAL cheap more than once.

I suppose the difference is I bought it to wheel, pretty much as-is, and expected it to perform. When it didn't, I was disappointed. I bought the Scrambler knowing it had a lot of problems (rust and no 2nd gear), but it was fine because I knew the shortcomings in advance and did not expect it to last (it FAR exceeded my expectations). I guess it's all a state of mind, if I knew the state it was really in, I wouldn't have minded.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 08:02 AM

Hey Crow,

You've got a real great outlook on life. I wish we'd had more time to sit and talk at the melt - maybe next year.

I'm sorry to hear about your Samurai troubles. But, as stated before, we've all been there. I bought a Sami once (from a nice young lady) that had a warped head and a VERY cheap fix. You live and learn...

I'll say a prayer for your Sami.

AARRRRRRRG! 1987 Red JX 'vert, 4.5 BREEZE SPOA, SJ410 T-case (not sure how I like it), 29 Super Swampers (31 BFG M/T knock offs - eventually) AARRRRRRRG!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 08:04 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I feel for you, man. Rarely have I bought a car and find out all the dirty secrets. Funny, I tell the folks I sell my used cars all the bad things. Guess I'm silly like that.

As for my zook, I bought it new as to avoid the problems with used. Unfortunately, we can't do that nowadays.

Leaving the money factor out of it, try to look at this as a growing experience. You've learned a great deal about Samurais, and have become even more competent with the tools of the trade.

On the bright side, if you ever buy another zook, you'll know more about what to look for.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 08:48 AM
Buckyo7

so whats the "Mystery Spring lift??"

BUCK YOU!!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 09:08 AM
Can't Get Enough

I was in the midst of a Samurai purchase in which the owner claimed that the engine and transmission were rebuilt when I started getting weird feelings. The more specific questions I asked the more vague he answered. He did not know the name of the shop, have receipts, or know what parts that were refurbished or replaced during the rebuild. He later admitted that the Samurai belonged to another guy who is now in jail for beating the crap out of his wife and he needed money for obvious reasons. That also explained why the title wasn’t in his name. When I checked back, the Samurai was mysteriously no longer for sale, but he said that he did have another Samurai if I was interested in it... Do I have to tell you how fast I ran?!?!?

Not a week later did I run into someone on this BBS that had purchased a Samurai from the same guy. He said that the vehicle he bought from him had a number of hidden nightmares (most were safety items such as brakes, steering, poorly welded perches) and the title had been floated. He ended up turning the guy into the State of Virginia for tax evasion and floating titles.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 09:48 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Floating title?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode