Engine Temp Danger Zone ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Engine Temp Danger Zone ??

At what temp does one enter the DANGER zone on a zook? I've been battling a "running warmer than I like" condition, especially during this heat wave we're having. Runs fine in stop and go traffic and around town, but on the highway I get concerned as to the rise in temp.
The stock gauge leaves a lot to be desired and I just installed an Auto Meter temp gauge. I used a vent as the mounting location and a 2 1/16 gauge fits great and looks stock. So now I have some preliminary info to go on. Around town, I run at 175 degrees. On the highway, I'm running at 195 to 205, depending on the length of the highway run.
At what temp should I start to really worry? (I worry now)
As a side note... I pulled a rad from my parts zook. It had a history of overheating and sent the rad to a shop. No good on salvaging it. They said it was really blocked up. I was hoping that this rad would get me theough the rest of the summer and allow me to save for the 3 row rad. Oh well...
For those who aren't running a stock carb, I used the BVSV port on the manifold to mount the sender. I purchased a metric adapter set, but the adapter that came with this gauge fit this port. Go figure.....
I have also installed a light that comes on when the electric fan kicks in. Around town it frequently goes on and off. On the highway, it is on nearly all the time. I know this is telling me that the rad is inadequate.
Any more thoughts on this? Thanks......
BTW...This problem began only after it sat for 2 weeks while I waited to get the new motor.

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 05:59 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Engine Temp Danger Zone ??

Well the 195-205 isn't going to cook an engine. I know
you can get a stock replacment for around 100.00 if you do some shopping around. I have been lucky with all of mine they all run cool, (Of course my hardtop stocker runs too cool in winter...)

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 06:48 AM
Can't Get Enough

Funny, my temperature rans low on my 1.3 during the winter and I could not get as much heat as I would have liked. At first I thought it was my heater core but it was clean. I replaced the thermostat thinking the old one was stuck open and that wasn't it either. I ended up sticking a 195 thermostat and that brought the temperature up to the normal operating range. Now that I have switched to a 1.6 I will probably get to do this experiment all over this winter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 02:14 PM

The stock thermostat is 195, so it sounds to me that you are ok. I would be happy to run at 205, mine runs around 230 on the highway. I don't get on the highway very often because of that.

Moozuki's home page

http://members.home.net/cryburn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode