Off Roading Forums banner

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

657 views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  JEEPN 
#1 ·
I can't believe this! My Chevy died! I stripped a tooth off the pinion gear and I was'nt even wheeling it! Oh, no comment from ford fans needed here:)

Bill Forrest!!............Off-Road Champion.
http://www.geocities.com/zukybill/index.html

#2 ·
Bill4rest wrote:

>>I can't believe this! My Chevy died! I stripped a tooth off the pinion gear
>>and I was'nt even wheeling it! Oh, no comment from ford fans needed here:)

How about a comment from the Suzuki fan: u can't move....like a rock!!!
/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

-marker

#3 ·
like moving a/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifROCK!!!!/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.giffrom a mopar fan!!!!!!!!!!!
just pullin yer leg man. dont fret it. hope ya get it fixed.
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!

G
#4 ·
Reminds me of the time this jerk told me his stock 2wd S-10 could outdo my Zuki on the trail. The audacity of the alpha-male attitude of typical Heap owners. Just because it says Chevy, Ford, or Jeep on the front doesn't mean it's invincible, or even able. It just means it was expensive. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Neal the Zukiguy

"If it is '...a Jeep thing...' I hope it isn't contagious"

88.5 Weber carb, header, 4.16 t-case, 31x10.5 M/T's, 2" s/r, 2" bod lift, front tube, Swift seats

#5 ·
Let's not get into how expensive things are on vehicles, this Zuk has them all beat from what I have seen.

What axle was it, 10 bolt?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

G
#6 ·
Hey, don't take my post to mean all large 4x4 owners are like that. I didn't mean to make a blanket statement. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Neal the Zukiguy

88.5 Weber carb, header, 4.16 t-case, 31x10.5 M/T's, 2" s/r, 2" bod lift, front tube, Swift seats

#7 ·
No, I didn't mean that, I just meant that my Zuk has been anything BUT cheap whenever I've looked into parts. Bearings and seals are expensive, carbs, carb related garb (sounds kinda catchy), ignition coil, brakes, and it seems like just about anything else I can find.

The only thing I have seen that's cheaper is the exhaust pipe (not muffler or cat), lockers, and some aftermarket stuff.

Yes, some other SUV's are more expensive on parts, but from my personal experiences Jeep and Scout are a lot cheaper, not sure about other brands.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

G
#8 ·
I dunno, I've watched Samurai prices starting get outrageous in relative terms, but I still get gearing in both diffs, t-case, and a good header for what my buddy paid for one t-case set in his TJ.

That could all change if people keep insisting that Sams be widely puiblicized and covered every week in 4WD rags. Oy vey!

Neal the Zukiguy

G
#9 ·
A ROLLING STONE GATHERS NO MOSS?!?!? I'm a Chevy fan and that's all that I've owned for most of my life. My first 87 S-10 yakked it's pinion gear at 165,000. Yes I've owned 1 HEEP and it really was a HEEP, what in the hell was AMC thinking with that 258? Ihated that truck from day 1. JEEPN no offense but once bitten twice shy. But I am looking at a Scout though. The latest S-10 nightmare taught me that I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER S-10! It's ZOOKS from here on out! My new tow rig will probably be an ISUZU rollback diesel.Are all of the Scouts convertables?
ROB

G
#10 ·
Eventually I will own a vintage Bronco, or a Scout... I like how muchthey resemble a Zuki with the targa removed.

Neal the Zukiguy

G
#12 ·
To my knowledge, all Scouts are convertible, am I wrong?

Neal the Zukiguy

#13 ·
Yes, they are all convertible. If anyone is looking for one, I have a '76 I'm selling for $250, 304 V-8, TF727 auto, D20 transfer, and F/R D44's with 3.54's. It needs some work, but is more than worthy of getting back on the road. I also have most of another parts Scout that can go with it to make it complete (glass is broken in this one, punk kids), with new glass, lenses, spare seats and top, etc. The 304 runs well, but will need to be trailered. It ain't perfect, but runs strong and wouldn't take a ton to get back on the road. I had it sold, but like a fool trusted someone I don't know, haven't heard from them in 7 months and they never gave me any money, now I can't get in touch with them. I was going to use it as a tow rig originally, but have the Trooper instead and it's just sitting around. I have pictures.

The 258 has a long historical line, one that is stil in use today. It started out with the 226 flathead I-6 of the 50's and while it's undergone many changes, the 2001/02 TJ still uses the same setup in the 242 I-6, which produces enough hp to lift the front tires on takeoff (190).

I have to agree though, I have never been a fan of the I-6, too long and straight, bound to have balance issues. An I-4 is OK, as is the V-series, but I have just never been a fan of the I-6.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine

G
#14 ·
I'd love to tkae the dana 44's from you, but Maine is a long way from fla. /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

Neal the Zukiguy

G
#16 ·
I'm glad that you didn't take that as a jab at Jeeps. I think that the Jeep died when Willys went out of business in 65. The 258 that I had was the worst POS that was ever made. I spent more time working on the truck than I did wheeling. It's a shame because I really liked the old CJ's just not the one that I owned.If I could find a decent Scout that didn't need a pee load of body work I'd buy it. I have a crate 350 just itching to get used. I guess that your experince with Samurais is kind of like mine with the Jeep. Ididn't wheel it hard and things still broke on it and when the engine started to smoke I filled it with 20-50 oil and sold it.
ROB

#17 ·
I have 1977 Dodge ex military 1 1/4 ton 4x4, and the parts are dirt cheap for the 318 in that thing. I replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, electronic box, voltage regulator, coil, fuel pump, fuel filter, alternator AND both front calipers for less than $200!!!!!! That was across the counter at the parts store. The calipers and the alternator were remanufactured parts, but still shockingly cheap! The other nice thing, since it is an ex military unit, the amount of brand new military surplus parts available are staggering. I can get an in the crate totally rebuilt 318 complete from carb to pan ready to drop in for $1,221.00, built to military specs! Try to find a 350 0r 302 for that price!

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com

#19 ·
As popular as these were back in the 70's, the junkyards should be full of them. Oh, wait a minute, built like a rock, dosen't J.D.Power and Assoc's. claim 99.9% of all Chevy's built in the last 200 years are still on the road??? Or was that Ford, or maybe Dodge???? Still got to be a rear axle or R&P availabe that one can grab pretty easily! Just having fun here, not knocking any brand, but after 30 years on the road, that's apretty damn good life I would think!

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com

#21 ·
About the Scout. I posted on this board about a week ago that im sellin my scout. Its an 800 with DANA 60 rear and a Dana 44 front. Both axles completely rebuilt. Dana 20 twin stick case. 345 V8 with T-184spd. Ive got well over a grand in the axles alone and im only askin a grand for the whole thing. I will sell the axles seperate if somebody wants. Make me an offer. I have to sell them or the SJ410 goes for sale. Dont make offers on the SJ yet i have until sept 1 to sell the scout.

Anybody interested, please let me know.

Will
"It aint the wand its the magician"
"Keep the shiny side up"
Tread lightly

#22 ·
Rob

Nah, no problem. I've been around Jeeps long enough to know that they have good ones and bad ones. Even today it's possible to get a POS from the factory. When you get a good one, they'll last forever and are worth rebuilding, when you get a bad one, they're good for parts. The ratio of good to bad is high, but they bad ones do exist.

I like the Kaiser era, the Willys era had some good vehicles, but kaiser really beefed them and thought ahead, the I-6 came out as a result of the AMC era, which was 1970 (but the '71 jeeps still had the Kaiser influence as they hadn't changed the tooling yet). The '71 year is one of the best, IMHO, because of the items available.

The only problem I've seen with the Scouts was the body rust, if they didn't rust out, I'd still be wheeling them and not jeeps. Those Scouts just went everywhere and took massive amounts of abuse, they were the right size, turned tight, and parts were cheap. Too bad they went out of business, the Scout III prototype had an all Kevlar body, WAAAAYYYYY ahead of it's time in 1980.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine

#23 ·
Damn mark, i thought i was the only one on here that knew that much about binders. Jus kiddin. At least i know somebody else out there understands how good they really were.

Will
"It aint the wand its the magician"
"Keep the shiny side up"
Tread lightly

#24 ·
One of these days, when I get done (or tired) of messing with Jeeps, I'll rebuild a Scout and use it as a daily driver. No fiberglass tubs though, I don't trust them.

Yeah, that '78 was my first 4x4, kinda like a first love, it just stays with you in the back of your mind, where you long for the days of yesteryear because things were so much simpler.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.