Off Roading Forums banner

GM ALT problems

884 views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I got the RRO bracket & have been having a problem with the new belt squealing upon creanking. I checked it out and even though I set the belt tension to where I want it, as soon as I run it, the belt tightens up to much tighter than where I like it. Is this due to slop in the alt and the bracket? I had a huge amount of squealing yesterday, and I looked at the bracket and it had broke off the inside two engine block mounting nuts head. I replaced and adjusted but I still get the squeal and the tightening from the belt. Even though it stops squealing once the belts heats up and stretches out, if I put on my headlights, aux lights, aux fan and radio it starts to squeal again. This is getting very frustrating- All help appreciated-

JC Garrett
91 Samurai JS
misatori@aol.com

See less See more
#2 ·
humm i have had no problems with my gm on my rig but i have herd a couple of complates that your talking about either the bracket breaks or the bolts break . i dont no what the diffence is but i made my brackets and have not had a bit of trouble out of them .the squelings is usally beacuse the belt is loose or miss aliment is your belt strait? sounds like your getting it tight and the bolts are working free are the treads all right in ALT?. but then again it could be alot of things . good luck let me now what it was

RUN IN TO YOU LATER

#3 ·
Putting a Gm alternator on my Zuki has only given me problems and an unreliable vehicle. Did you drill out the holes on the bottom of the bracket where the alternator bolts thru? The hole in the alternator is bigger than the one in the bracket, which will let the alternaor shift. At least in my case. I'm on my 5th alternator. The directions don't tell you that those high amp alternators will be throwing 15.7 volts at your battery. My battery blew up on the expressway and the acid ate thru my battery tray and wheelwell. I am now down to a 63 amp alternator because it runs at 15.0 volts which is acceptable for an optima battery. I would not reccommend this product to anyone. Oh yes, mine has broken bolts off in the engine block also, and I had to make my own adjustment bracket after the first 2 broke while driving home, leaving me stranded again. When this gives me one more problem i'm going back to a stock Suzuki alternator.

-Ryan
'88 Sami. Moderately modified. Two track mind ;)
ZuksRule@Aol.com

#4 ·
heheheh, thats 63hp and 50 amps :D!! hhehheaehheahe, wait, DOH! I've got a zook to! Member everyone @ lower rpm the output of the alternator will be less!!!

got zook?
http://www.geocities.com/bik3r
29x10.5x15 SS TSL *SX*, Calmini Header, SPOA, Lights, Dupicolor, Z-bar, Xenon lights, diamond plate rockers, tubes front, rear, & sides!

G
#5 ·
I haven't drilled out the bracket yet. Ryan- What size did you go to? I have a 1.6 with the 4 rib belt pulley. My alt has a 5 rib pulley. It is throwing 15.7 volts at the optima. I have a dual batt setup with an isolator. The main is 15.7 while the aux is 14.75-15v. Ryan- What alt did you go with? From what make and model? Did that solve the movement?

JC Garrett
91 Samurai JS
misatori@aol.com

#6 ·
Pull the belt off and make sure your bearings are good.
(Grab it by the pully and rock it back and forth.) There
should be Very little play/ non. the back bearing on
alot of the 12si alts is a small one. if you need one Napa sells them look it up online so you have the numbers when you go in.

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html

#7 ·
My voltage remains constant no matter how many RPM's i'm turning. I don't remember what year the car was (we tested way too many alts.) but I think it was a caprice. It is a Duralast alt. from AutoZone, part no. DL7127-9M Don't buy the cheaper "ValueCraft" alternator, mine lasted 6 days. I don't remember what size drill bit I used, I just found one that was the same size as the hole that passes thru the alternator, use a bolt that same size also. I still don't have perfect alignment (the alt is still cocked a little sideways) but it dosen't seem to move. Finally I have no belt squeal. I also sprayed the belt with that belt dressing crud, i've tried everything :) I just installed a volt meter so I can keep an eye on things. good luck

-Ryan
'88 Sami. Moderately modified. Two track mind ;)
ZuksRule@Aol.com

G
#9 ·
Re: GM ALT problem Fixed !!

I had just about given up & was getting ready to go and buy a sidekick alt to get the 4 rib pulley to turn out to GM specs. I had the Duralast part number to go down to a 70+ amp GM. The sidekick alt is 55 amps so I was just about admitting defeat.

I will document the success story in case a future 1.6 sami needs the numbers.

I drilled out the RRO bracket AND the Delco Remy alternator with a 15/32" bit to fit a 7/16 grade 8 w/ a locknut. I put in a PRE-90 sami top alt bracket and I ground the 12:00 corners(mounted) meeting the alt on the RRO bracket to a smooth rounded curve so the alt can rotate more on the bracket. I mounted it & put on a Advance Auto spaghetti belt Dayco 5040340- translated means 4 ribbed 34" long. Cranked it up- no squealing, a steady 15 amps off the alt with both batteries charged at a smooth 14.9 volts. This is still with a GM 5 rib pulley on the alt. (the difference in size is minimal)

I am very happy with my 94 amp alt now. bright lights :>

JC Garrett
91 Samurai JS
misatori@aol.com

#11 ·
Re: GM ALT problem Fixed !!

I have seen a lot of the 105 amp alternators do this on the sami's. I went back to the stock alternator, and found the big alternator was eating horsepower and gas milage. I am going to add another stock alternator to the other side of the engine and switch the field so I can run it when I need it. Mine gave me problems from the day I put it on until I pulled it off. Like you I am sure the bugs could have been worked out, I just didn't feel like fighting it. I had the Petroworks kit, and I must say the bracket was a lot nicer and never gave me any of the problems you mentioned. I hate squealing belts.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.