Drop Pitman Arm ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Drop Pitman Arm ??

On a stock sami,the drag link and tie rod are near parallel. On mine, with 1-1/2 springs and a shackle reversal, they are nearly 4 inches apart. Should I be using a drop pitman arm? Thanks.....

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 08:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Drop Pitman Arm ??

hey crow, if it were me, id look into one. better yet, if scratch will allow ya, get a breeze crossover. lot of coins, but worth it. id send ya a dropped pitman arm, but just got rid of my last one. now if i can find the dern thing....
sorry dude
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 08:16 PM

you better find it BB [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
TW

Home Pagehttp://home.talkcity.com/SparkplugSt/trailwalker1/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks BB! Any input regarding the differences of the Calmini lingage and the Breeze crossover steering?

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 09:06 PM
Old Hand

Crow, you might want to do a board search. I asked the very same question a while back and got tons of responses and started a war Lots of good info there.

-Ryan
'88 Sami. Moderately modified. Two track mind
[email protected]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 11:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You don't have much lift on there compared to many vehicle nowadays. I don't think you'd see much benefit in going with one of the more expensive systems. A drop pitman arm would work just fine for your vehicle.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Would I be correct in saying that using just a drop pitman arm wouldn't totally elliminate bump steer?

All Good Medicine,
Crow

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 06:24 AM
Can't Get Enough

Actually, it should eliminate it. Once you get the rods parallel again, and the springs won't hit them, then the "bump" is gone. Any "pulling or grabbing" that would still exist may be coming from another source. I have a soa and a drop arm, which eliminates about 80-90% of the bump - I have 6 inches of lift, so they still aren't parallel, but better. Eventually, I'll get a z-link. The cross-over setup is great, but a lot of bucks![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Scott Trester - '88.5 Suzuki Samurai
http://RockPile4x4.tripod.com/Scott.html
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 06:58 AM
Keyboard Implanted

crow, i agree, with scott, it should eliminate most of your bump steer. glenn is also right, if your built to where you wanna be, no more lift plans, a dropped pitman arm is the way to go prolly, lots cheaper. but if you want to keep going, id go with the breeze. and save money in the long run.

trail, im workin on tryin to find it. you seen how i keep my truck, multiply it times 100 for my home man. workin on it.
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 07:21 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Crow,

Drop pitman will work fine. There are 3" and 4" types. Sounds like you will need the 4". However, there are problems with drop pitmans too, but that's another story.

The effect of bumpsteer is directly proportionate to the angle between the knuckle mount and the pitman. The more this angle increases, the more it will affect the amount of bumpsteer. It's a trig thing.

As for bumpsteer being caused by the springs hitting the drag link, that's not entirely correct. Bumpsteer will be noticed in both SpUA and SpOA configs, again it's directly proportionate to the drag link angle. In the SpUA, there is no chance that the springs will contact the steering linkage. In a SpOA, it's different. You have another problem to deal with. Since the springs are slightly above the tie rod and drag link, under compression, the springs can hit and rub against the drag (and sometimes tie rod). This is most noticable in hard left turns.

Hence, the drop drag or "Z"-type drag links. By making the drag into a Z shape, you dramitically reduce the problem of springs hitting stuff.

But the bumpsteer will not completely go away. In fact, I have not seen any noticable improvement with a Z link. The angle between the knuckle mount and pitman remains the same. And from what I remember from physics, the enegry (bumpsteer) will always move in a staight line, no matter what letter you configure the drag link to look like.

SO in steps the cross over or Knuckle-over steering set-ups. Hooray! Finally a way to get the drag and tie rod back to parallel (or close to it). For really tall lifts, a cross over and drop pitman usually does the trick.

There is also the Calmini "k" linkage. This is very similar to what is on Ford trucks. Eliminates bumpsteer using standard geometric principles. But this design is mainly for SpUA configs, as the spring rubbing issue may still remain. Ask Pugrocker about this set-up, as he runs one. Or call Calmini (Steve) and he can tell you more. I've seen it only a few times, but had it explained to me once.

Unless you plan on going higher (and you probably will someday), the 4" pitman will satisfy you.

Hope that helps (man, typing with one hand sucks)

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode