XS Parts in Peterson's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

XS Parts in Peterson\'s

Hey did anyone see Tim Porter's rig in September's Peterson's? The article is talking about the evolution of 4 wheelin' and wouldn't you know a samurai made it. Yup, we are the (r)evolution, so buy those spare rigs now or pay the high price later. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Following Christ is a lot like wheelin', just follow the road (trail) less traveled!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 07:11 PM

Re: XS Parts in Peterson\'s

I have a love hate relationship with 4X mags. I'm glad Zukes don't get too much coverage because it makes pickin' up parts cheap but I'm a little peeved that the mags seem to go out of their way to ignore us. I'm dumbfounded that no mag reps were at the melt...

AARRRRRRRG! 1987 Red JX 'vert, 4.5 BREEZE SPOA, SJ410 T-case (not sure how I like it), 29 Super Swampers (31 BFG M/T knock offs - eventually) AARRRRRRRG!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 07:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

what pisses me off is 4wd sport & utility is fazing out zuks. i can remember back in the late 80s n early 90s, they featured a zuk every month or 2. now, lucky to see one every 8. the other rags, well, they truly dont interest me. they have always been up for the big 3 anyways. never us underdogs....
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 08:20 PM

I understand 4WD and Sport Utility will be covering the Suzukis on the Rocks this year, but I do agree that coverage on zuks are getting far and few between. We just have to keep sending letters to the mags and tell them what we want to see.

88 Zuk
locked and loaded
www.zukin.homestead.com/main.html
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 11:54 PM

It is a shame that the only way to get good accurate information is to search for it on the Internet. Not that there is anything wrong with that. But it would be so nice to see an appreciation for the sport that we all love so much. 4WD and Sport Utility said in thier SEPT issue that they were planning on making it to the Zookimelt which didn't happen... so don't get your hopes up on them being at SOR. Glenn from RRO did say that he was going to make a serious effort to make it to next years event and talk one of the editors from 4WD and SU to coming...We will all see now won't we? Relying on each other seems to be the only way we can survive...God knows we can't count on anyone else.
Rae
TRAILS EDITOR
IZOOK.COM

Sooner or Later you will be shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look just right.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 05:54 AM
WSB

I used to subscribe to them all, now its only 4WD&Sport UTE since they are
the ones who seem to have the most real trucks that you would ss on the trail.
So, here's what pisses me off about the magazines. A couple of months back I
picked up FourWheeler at the newsstand, for the Top truck Challenge article.
Well they have this Dodge dually pickup on it. So I check it out, big deal it's
a freaking Dodge with a lift kit and some other bolt on crap!
The dude who owns it obvisouly has more $$ than brains, and knows how to order
all sorts of bolt on stuff his NEW truck. I mean he had a front ARB air
locker,like he needs this for what, getting over the curbs at the mall? So
what I would like to see is the rigs that have some home built engineering, not
the trucks that have $20000 in bolt on sh$t. Lets see the rigs with dents and
scrathes down the side. Custom built tub frames, suspensions, not some trailer
queens that go from show to show or pavement pounders that take a soccer mom to he grocery store.

Wayne

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 05:57 AM
Keyboard Implanted

AMEN!

-Brian
<font color=blue>THE ULTIMATE ZUK</font color=blue>
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 07:18 AM

Not to be the devils advocate here but I have to on this subject (Take note I am not associated with any rag). They are in the business to make money, guys that buy those expensive P/U's and Heaps want their vehicles to look tough, and are willing to spend money. So a magazine makes more money selling articles about the latest bolton crap cause that is where the money is.

It is not with a vehicle that is not sold in this country anymore, and the market share has a finite lifespan. Then you look at the average ZUK owner and you will find a bunch of grimy folks trying to build it bigger, badder and flexier on a shoestring budget. The average ZUK guy probably has less than $5000 total over years of spending in their entire vehicle. The average Heap owner will have that in just lift and tires. And with newer models of vehicle coming out every year we ZUK folks are just at the bottom of the pile, to eventually be phased out and listed with the classic historic car section.

Do I agree no, but I like being an underdog, our parts are cheaper, our vehicles are easier to fix, and they always surprise the mainstream on what they can do.

"Happiness is a Belt Fed Weapon!"
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 07:45 AM

I don't necessarily agree with you Jason. Look at September's issue of Petersen's. What's that on the cover? A first generation Ford Bronco(?). Obviously, this truck is no longer manufactured in the US; It's relatively rare and the trucks in the article don't appear to have "bolt on" stuff. There's pages and pages devoted to the first generation Bronco AND it's stuff that get's published at least once a year in one of the 4x mags (options available, number manufactured, fuel tank capacity, etc...). This is an absolutely worthless article that anyone who has been reading these rags has seen at least a dozen times.

The article on page 46 concerning the "We Steal A Show Truck" is another waste of print. Gee, who hasn't seen an article with a Chevy (GMC) that has Dana 70 under it. OOOOOOH, that's neat! Hey, wait a minute...that's a 454 under the hood that's bored out to some ridiculous gas guzzling size. And, who took the pics? My sister's dog? This truck is CLEARLY not a real world truck and I don't see how the article could be appealing to anyone but the owner...

What angers me about these rags is the fact that Petersen's owns all of them. I wouldn't be surprised if this truck shows up in another issue several months down the road. I've seen this happen before.

I'm not even going to mention how dumb the articles "300 Reasons to Wheel" or "150 of the Cheapest Places to Go" are. They are an ABSOLUTE waste of ink and paper.

I'm not bustin' on ya' Jason, I just think that the mag execs are lazy and inept. I'm sure they try to appeal to the masses but show me something in September's issue that would appeal to the masses and I'll eat the issue.

AARRRRRRRG! 1987 Red JX 'vert, 4.5 BREEZE SPOA, SJ410 T-case (not sure how I like it), 29 Super Swampers (31 BFG M/T knock offs - eventually) AARRRRRRRG!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

WOW, didn't mean to start a rag war!!!
Personally, I really like Peterson's. The majority of the articles are about rigs that get used and abused. Not to mention I see more and more zooks each month. In the July or August issue, they covered the Easter Jeep Safari and there were 5 zooks, each with commentary in that spread. Sure, that may sound a little silly to you guys, but they even gave the most likely to be stolen and built up by Peterson's award to an LWB. Anyway, it's just an opinion.
Steve

Following Christ is a lot like wheelin', just follow the road (trail) less traveled!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode