compression readings - how bad is it? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

compression readings - how bad is it?

took some compression readings off my zook this weekend...

on cylinders 1,2,3, and 4 respectively... not as bad as i thought (i was thinking more like around 120) but still not the 199 factory spec...

just how bad is this? my zook has a hard time holding 50 mph (loses speed in 4th, holds it in 3rd, but wont gain speed)... i have 30" tires and a 4.16 tcase gearset (effectlive making my gearing stock) so i really shouldnt be having this speed problem... any ideas as to what else might be wrong?

thanks

Steve [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'88 Suzuki Samurai
'99 Toyota Tacoma (Tow Vehicle)
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 06:47 PM

Re: compression readings - how bad is it?

According to the manual, 170PSI qualifies this engine to the "rebuild" bin [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Mine '87 had just about the same (slightly lower) readings, and yes, the bugger was having trouble going up the hill. My current '92 has somewhere around 180PSI and is MUCH more nimble. So I would say your engine would appreciate a bit of TLC....or do the 1.6 swap [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

-marker
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 08:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds like worn pistons and rings. The readings are well within range of each other, so it doesn't appear to be warped or a blown gasket. Yer prolly blowing a bit of white smoke out the tail pipe when you gun it hard too aren't you?

Time to bore the block. Thake the head off and try to wiggle the pistons with your thumbs.

Neal the Zukiguy

"If it is '...a Jeep thing...' I hope it isn't contagious"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 08:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

My compression readings are very similar to yours. I know what the manual says but my Zuke has 62k on it and runs as strong as the day We took it off the lot with 500 miles on it. It blows no smoke nor uses a drop between oil changes.I'm wondering if the Autozone compression gauge(read cheap) might just be off. I was always told that if all the readings are close to one another then all is well. Jim

http://sites.netscape.net/riodiusa
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 09:09 PM

i see nothing wrong with those readyings drive the snut out of it mine had the same readys and i had no problems going 65 with 31 and no gears

RUN IN TO YOU LATER
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 09:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I did my compression a few years back, and I think I was a few points below yours, I think they were all around 140 and 150. I would also question the health of your carburation. We put on a Weber last year, and noticed a very nice increase in power. I'm running the 4.16:1 tcase and 32's.....and it will pull ok, not strongly at all, in 4th. I ran it with 31's and really didn't have any problems. If you have high mileage, may think about rebuilding the stock carb, or changing it out.
Hope this helps

Andy Feingold
88.5 Samurai, SPOA,Rancho springs, Rocklobster, full cage, Schroth Harness belts, EZ locker, 32x10.50 Swampers, on board air, Weber, header etc...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 09:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I agree with mark_er and zukiguy...

She's gonna give up on you within the next 6-15,000 miles.

If you rebuild the block now while it is still in one piece, you'll have a strong running engine when you are done.

I just put 240 miles on my stock '88 today with about 1300 miles on a rebuilt 1.3. It got 24 MPG and drove at 70 MPH up and down some steep Ozark hills with ABSOLUTLY NO downshifting from fifth required! Such was definitely not the case before I put a rebuilt engine in it...

I guess I should crack open the old one to see what it's problems was. I'd guess that it suffered from out of spec mains and thrust bearing along with the classic out-of-round cylinders.

BTW, my compression was around 150 on all cylinders on the old engine...

Ack

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 09:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You have another prob causing, or in the very least assisting the weak compression in bogging you down at 50 mph. A Zuk will run fine at 120 across all cylinders as long as its just wear on the cylinders/pistons and not a major failure like a crack or leaking head/block/gasket.

Neal the Zukiguy

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

my zook doesnt leak anything, which is why im a little confused... the only thing i know that is wrong with it besides compression is all that damned emissions crap... i bet none of it works right... id like to throw a weber on there but i cant afford it right now... might do that when i do the rebuild so that basically everything will be new.... cant decide on that though... will do the rebuild next summer when i have time and money... i just hope it lasts that long

Steve [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'88 Suzuki Samurai
'99 Toyota Tacoma (Tow Vehicle)
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 10:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Spray all those hoses with Windex and look for bubbles. Yo ushould be able to push the diaphragm on the EGR with your fingers. Does it move? Can you take the carb in your hand and move it around? That has happened to almost every Sam owner I have known. It comes loose. Start looking for vaccuum leaks. Also check for fuel blocks. How's your fuel filter look?

Neal the Zukiguy

Weber carb, header, 4.16 t-case, 31x10.5 M/T's, 2" s/r, 2" bod lift, front tube, Swift seats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode