Radiator puking... the Sequel - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 07:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Radiator puking... the Sequel

My radiator keeps puking at operating temp. There is no thermostat, so that is not the prob. There is some movement, but at operating temp it just starts over flowing if idling, if in gear and under load, it blows the reservoir of its mount and spews steam. There are absolutely NO leaks anywhere on the engine, NO oil, NO water, nothing. Water doe flow through the block and head, I have applied pressure through the radiator and watched water spill out from where the thermostat should be with the thermostat cap off. Anyone have a clue?

Neal the Zukiguy

"If it is '...a Jeep thing...' I hope it isn't contagious"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 07:23 PM

Re: Radiator puking... the Sequel

I just had this conversation with another guy this weekend, and he just called me back confirming what I told him. I bet you have a head gasket starting to go. It is begining to leak cylinder compresion from one cylinder into the water jacket. Check and see with the motor cold and just started if you see bubbles showing up in the radiator cap when it is off. If you do, you better get that gasket changed right away before it lets go and you hydraulic a cylinder. You can also check by starting it up for a minute, and then turn it off and pull your spark plugs. Chances are you will see a slight amount of moisture on one. If you don't, don't discount what I am telling you. At operating temperatures, the coolant is hot enough to steam when vented to the atmosphere. If it is not running hot on the gauge when it starts blowing, then something is adding pressure to the coolant system. The only thing that can be is engine compression. It would not be the intake as that operates under a vacuum, and would be showing as steam out the tailpipe.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 07:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Okay, that makes sense. But the head gasket is brand new (not even 100 miles on the rebuilt block and gasket set), the block just re-bored. Could the head be warped just enough to allow this to occur as experienced?

>>Check and see with the motor cold and just started if you see bubbles showing up in the radiator cap when it is off

So you're saying start it cold, let it run a minute, turn it off and remove the cap to look for bubbles?

And yes, it is spewing with the temp guage sitting at half, as it normally does in the dead ehat of Texas summer.

Thanks for the tip, will follow up on your advice.

Neal the Zukiguy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 08:24 PM

Crank it with the cap off and check for bubbles. The head could be cracked or warped but it's probably the gasket. I cranked mine cold with the cap off and it bubbled alot. Guess I'll start tearing it down tomorrow. What brand gasket did you use?????

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 08:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

No bubbles, and no sign of water on the plugs. Could my radiator cap be causing this if the spring is too weak and/or the seal is bad?

Neal the Zukiguy

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 09:23 PM

The cap is a possibility, but if it wasn't doing it before the rebuild and now it is........... I would be very suspicious of the head gasket. What kind was it? This is important because some should be retorqued after starting and heat up the first time. You may need to drain a little water from the radiator, it (the water level) needs to be below the neck of the radiator cap so air bubbles aren't being trapped under the lip where the cap goes. Then you would see them right away instead of having to wait. It could also be that it only leaks when at normal temperature.

TGT - NCO

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 01:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have two caps, and the one on the Zuki now offers much less resistance when I squeeze it than the un used cap, so I am wondering if maybe the spring was worn and it was allowing the cooling system to vent prematurely? I should probably pull the cam cover and check the torque, good idea. Thanks again.

Neal the Zukiguy

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 05:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That happened to me twice and both times it was the head gasket. 1 had about 5000 miles on it the other about 1000.

Go Big! If not in your ride, in your heart!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 09:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Why would a brand new head gasket go bad after less than 100 miles? I am SO not wanting to believe it is the head gasket, GRRRRRRR. I'm tired of taking the head off this engine, 6 times in the last 2 months.

Neal the Zukiguy

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 11:27 AM

I doubt if it is the gasket, maybe a small problem with the decking on the block or head? Maybe a piece of old gasket? I always retorque my head gaskets twice, once after running in the garage long enough to get to operating temp (while still hot),and again after about 50 miles of driving (after cold this time). Never had one leak before.

TGT - NCO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode