Lockrite's with side couplers? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Lockrite\'s with side couplers?

a while back there was a great deal of talk about using Lock Rite Lockers with side couplers...I don't remember all the talk, but I do remember it was enough to keep me from buying them....

now a friend was asking why?

anyone have any input or experience with them good or bad?

Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 07:11 PM

Re: Lockrite\'s with side couplers?

Dave,

The problem with the LockRight side couplers are that they have such a tight tolerance that any bend in the axle tube causing mis-alignment will cause them to either not hook up, or not release. The stock side gears withstand a lot more variation in axle tube allignment. On the other hand, the Detroit lockers with side couplers don't seem to have this same problem although they are more expensive than a 1510 lockright and they seem to be louder and hook up a little harder when functioning. Even Lock Right admits there is a problem with their side couplers.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 07:33 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Dave
Two words.......THEY SUCK!!!
I had/have one in the rear of my truck and half the time they don't hook up!
Yankee Tim said something about shimming them, I was thinkin' of shimmin' the garbage can with it!
Long live the 1510!!!

DannyL

http://www.partszuki.homestead.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

thanks Tim...I knew I read something about them..and was told by some not to use them..but I couldn't remember what it was all about...

a few of us were talking about taking front diffs and using them for rear diffs with lockers and lower gears....the front stock diffs don't get used as much..but we would need rear side gears...and if the Lock Rites were good enough or not...

I still need to find the youg guy from Utah I let get away with one of my spare rear diffs, while at Moab....I should have got the money up front...lol

he emailed me once and said he was going to send a diff back..but that was the last I heard from him....

it was a black and white camo Zuki....

Dave

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Danny....

I told Ron you post something about them a while back...we went through as many post as we could stand..but really didn't find the messages you had posted...thanks! I know I like what I have now..and will stick with them...(no-side gears) but I/we are on the lookout for those stock takeouts that guys took out to replace them with the new ones....

Dave

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 09:33 PM

Dave, I am quite happy with my Detroit which came with side couplers. It wasn't my first choice, I had it drop shipped to a customer, and he wanted one for the front, and they sent one for the rear, he didn't notice til he had it greasy. The supplier wouldn't take it back, so I had to eat it. I stared at it on the shelf for 6 months and said the hell with it, I need a locker anyway. I was pleasantly surprised, but anyway, I have the complete side gears, cross grooved pins, shims, etc., out of mine, and no use for them. Got an extra head gasket laying around all lonely for a motor?????

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 10:37 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Yea, the 1530 is a b!tch to set up and is noisy. Simply, they suck.

After many, many conversations with Powetrax tech, they have started on designing replacement sidegears that duplicate stock side gears and work with the 1510. This will solve 2 things:

1) Eliminate the need for the 1530. Less parts to manufacture.

2) Solve the problem of relacing worn out stock sidegears, as the new OEM gears DO NOT WORK with the 1510.

My suggestion, everyone (especally the dealers) should keep calling and hounding Powertrax to speed up this R&D process.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode