WSB, JEEPN, SMILEY & any1else - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

WSB, JEEPN, SMILEY & any1else

I recieved that information on the yj plate kit from dougO. I cut and paste it below. Mark you need to put spring perches on, and wayne and joe, i think you need to widen the ones you have. Anyone else who wants a set post here or let DougO know. This does not include the bolts to bolt everything up, nuts, washers, but i dont think thats a problem...

Max,

Here is a URL to all the pictures I took today.

http://www.cartogra.com/home/ViewMyA...coll_id=966806

This will show I think all the pieces. except maybe the spring plates. While I am thinking of it, I just remembered that the spring plates are made to fit a Sidekick rear which the axle tube diameter is slightly larger then that of a samurai meaning that new U bolts would be needed and they would not fit snug to the samurai tube. I doubt this would represent a problem but Just wanted to inform you of it. I also spoke with the guy today about having all the holes cut into the Rear Spring front mount. Basicly for him to draw up the picture again it would cost $100 he did it as a favor the last time and he cant just add it to what he already has in the computer as he didnt save it to the right section. He himself was trying to figure out why when I was there haha Oh well. I do have my piece that I will photocopy so it can be used as a template for drilling the holes out. OK now for the price. For each "Do-It Yourself, Welding Required Kit" the price for all 14 pieces of metal is $65(with me making $5 per set) for 3 sets. The more sets, the lower it could go. 6 sets would lower it to $60. LMK what ya want to do. If you wanted to finish cutting the holes and welding the shackle together you could charge?? for it. I just dont have access to a welder for a while as I'm changing jobs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 09:11 AM
Keyboard Implanted

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 09:44 AM
WSB

Re: WSB, JEEPN, SMILEY & any1else

Max,

I am really just interested in the drop link type shackles. How much for just
a pair of those?
If I was going to convert to YJ springs I might just go ahead a throw a coil
with a 3 or 4 link setup under my Zuki.

Wayne

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 10:19 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Heck, yeah, I'm in for a set. By the time I got the metal and did the work, I'd have a lot more into it. Does that include the shackles?

Drilling/welding is no problem for me. And no problem on the spring plates either, I can make those easily enough.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 11:31 AM
Pooh-Bah

WSB all the shackles' I have are, are the 4 pieces of metal(each one). They are not premade, already done shackles, you would have to weld in the cross braces. Unless you would want to make bends in 2 of the pieces(per shackle) so they would fit both a sami frame and sami spring, they wont by themselves.
Just another note, using it like this you dont have to weld that spacer to upper rear shackle tube so you can simpley unbolt it and put a samurai spring back on. Though the rear spring front mounts will have holes in them.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 12:12 PM

You are the man! I have found the answer to how I'm going to lift my Samurai. I was going to put a post on the board asking for pics and measurements from people that have the yj kit. There is a local guy that I was going to give all the info to and have him make me up the kit, and then sell them to anyone else that wanted one. Looks like you beat me to it! Welding and drilling won't be a problem since I work with about 20 welders and our plant has drill presses. So does this kit include everything I need to put on yj springs? My samurai is bone stock so am I going to need different shock mounts, shocks, driveshaft ect.? Can I run this setup spring under for awhile or do I need to run SPOA since the perches need to be wider? Any help you could give me would be great! You can count me in for a kit! Thanks!

Matt Schiccatano

88' Bone stock soon to be yj lifted!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 12:31 PM
Pooh-Bah

This is a rear only set up. I would reccomend the CSC front, but the wait is so long. Why I did my own rear was
1. Cause of the CSC wait.
2. I wanted to keep my 3" tube nerf bars.
3. I didnt want that crazy 45* angle of the CSC rear shackle.
4. I wanted a custom breeze drop shackle but time was getting real short and tim at NCO didnt hear anything back soon enough from breeze for me.
5. Cost, It cost me a little over $100 to make.

If you didnt want to do a shackle reversal though maybe you could use a kit for the front too?? I dont know if it would work but??

You would need different shock mounts since you wont be able to use your rear spring plates and in the rear you might be able to get away with spacers, but you wont know until its on and you measure it out. Tim at NCO has the breeze shock mounts and spacerswhich are pretty nice

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 01:16 PM
WSB

Doug,

I they all not premade and I have to weld in the Cross brace, wouldn't I be able to cut the cross brace down to make the width that I need and get shorter bolts to use?

Wayne

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 01:35 PM
Pooh-Bah

I'm not sure exactly what ya mean but the shackle would have to be squared at the mounting points otherwise it would bind. The upper half is squared to the sami frame the entire length and the lower half is squared to the wrangler spring. If I didnt have the cross support at the pivot point on the upper half I would be able to use that as a regular shackle, the lower half would not fit as it is ame for the 2.5"wide wrangler spring. What you would have to do is look at the Breeze page or NCO's page you will see how the one section is bent to make it the proper width and is still squared to fit the sami frame and spring.

Oh I just want to add, that if your were to use this to build your shackles you would have to leave space between the 2 sections for some sort of thrust washer. I have a steel washer right now but am planning to cut up a urethane bushing to stick between the halfs for better wear. This is why its made from 3/16" thick steel. I would have liked to use 1/4" but I didnt have acces to something good enough to bend the metal accuratly so they would fit inside each other.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 01:37 PM

Hey DougO maybe I could get my guy to make up the front kit since you took care of the rear? Do you know anyone who could get me pics and measurements of the front kit, or maybe I'll just post on the board and see what I come up with. I know Billybob and trailwalker both have the kits maybe they could help me out. What about my stock perches could I use them in a spring under or do I need to make them wider? Where can I get the spring plates or could you make them up for me also? Let me know about the front kit so I can start gathering info about it.

Thanks,

Matt Schiccatano

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode