Jeep List (short wheel base) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 01:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jeep List (short wheel base)

Man let me tell you, feel good that we have such a great list of people here at bbs. The Heep list is cold to strangers. My wife drives a TJ and is haveing problems. I will post what I posted there:
I have a 97 TJ with a 4.0ltr. The stock exaust manifold broke in hafe and made the Jeep run bad. I replaced it with a Borla header and extention pipe. Anyway before I changed the header I took it to the shop because it would not start and the check engin light is on. They did all the tests and said it ran fine except for the broken manifold. After changing the manifold it ran great but missed a bit under heavy acceleration and consumed gas. About 10 miles a gallon. Now the check engine light is on again and it won't start. I feel that it is a bad O2 sensor because of the check engine light and the fact that the shop said every thing was fine. They could not get an accurate O2 test because of the broken manifold. I am really in need of fixing this but I am not to sure I am on the right path. Has anyone had this problem before?

Anyway when Jeepn helped I felt like I turned my back on you guys. So if you all can help please do. It is great to be home I hope I don't have to go to the Heep list again. Because that would mean The wifes Jeep is broke again.

Jason

I Work to Wheel, because I wheel, I work.
http://www.geocities.com/zuk_tonka/zuk.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 03:10 PM
WSB

Re: Jeep List (short wheel base)

Jason
First check your spark plugs they are probably fouled out.If you have digital
voltmeter you could measure the voltage from the O2 sensor to get an idea if it
is working correctly. Take the O2 sensor and unplug it. Connect the positve
lead of the voltmeter to the O2 sensor connector and the other to a ground and
measure the voltage while the vehicle is running. I would take the measurement from first startup when it is cold all the way up to after it reaches operating
temp. The voltage reading should be somewhere between 0.01 volts to 0.90 volts
while running at operating temp, but closer to 0.05 volts after it is warmed
up. The voltage reading should switch between two readings( 0.07-rich, 0.04-lean). The higher the voltage indicates rich, lower voltage indicates lean.

It would sound like the O2 sensor is good and your plugs are fouled. It is possible that they are fouled, because with the broken mainfold the computer
probably tried to compensate for the lean condition by dumping a mother load of
fuel to the injectors. That would explain the poor performance and bad
mileage. This should give you an idea if the O2 sensor is working or not.

Wayne

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 03:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thank you for the information it is very helpful. I do have to say that the entire igintion is new. (plugs, cap, rotor, wires, and coil.) That was my frist thought. Thanks again. BTW it is now sitting at the shop. I give those guys credit at jeep. They built a machine that you can't help but break and is very expensive to fix. Almost like they want you to break stuff. I have had it in the shop four times in three years and all of them have been for something major. for exsample with only 24000 on it the rear output shaft all the sudden got bent. How the hell does that happen. That was 1000 fix. Thank goodness for waranty.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 03:32 PM
WSB

Jason,

Did you replace the plugs before or after the cracked manifold?

Wayne

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 03:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

First before I put in split fires. Then the guy at the dealership said that they were crap. So after I put on the Header I changed back to a regulare plug I think they were champion. Anyway I will Pull them yet again and clean them. My zuk is a big turd and has 270000+ on it. It gets me back and forth to work every day with little problems. The jeep is a 200 dollar repair to get it back on the road every 3 months. I would love to spend that money on lockers and gears. BTW the money gong to fix it this time was my saving for a new motor. Son of a B!t(#. Anyway with that out I feel better. I like the Jeep and we have had tons of fun in it. I know that this is life and what not I just needed to vent sorry...

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 04:26 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Jason,

Don't give up on them so easily, they are a great group of guys, just like here. They may just seem different because you're not used to them yet, it took me quite awhile to get used to you guys over here.

In the space of 7 hours, since you posted the message, you had 18 responses. How much better can it be? Most of the guys over there work during the day, only some of us have access to the BBS during work, but my TJ Technical Service Manual was at home. You have to give us some time. I know it's the wife's daily driver, ours is my wife's as well, but I'm confident we could have talked you through it.

The Jeep is just like the Zuk, really it is. You have a '97, which is the best year to have, IMHO, because you have the OBDII working in your favor. The '97 is the only year you can pull the codes off the Jeep without a tool, the '98 and above can't do that. Once you have the procedure (which we posted, albeit a little late, as the TJ was already gone), it's easy to check the codes, which literally eliminate troubleshooting. The Jeep tells you what the problem is.

I have the '97 manual, got it for $51 off Ebay, where I see them all the time. I also have a scanner, which means I can send you the sections once the jeep tells you what the problem is. I also have the TEVES Mark IVG Anti-Lock Brake System manual as well, if you have ABS like we do, got it off Ebay for $5.

We have beaten our TJ a lot, and it takes it well. It's been back to the dealership a few times, but it's understandable the way we drive it. Your TJ is a decent jeep, out of ALL the jeeps, it's the best year and model to have as a daily driver, hands down. It may have given you some problems, but give us a chance over there, we won't leave anyone stranded, we'll help out as much as possible.

No one over there has Jeep envy, and no one hates Zuki's, there are too many of us dual owners over there. People over there also aren't on a "mod" trip, heck, there are guys driving stock 2WD postal jeeps, we like everyone.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 05:54 PM
Pooh-Bah

Well I cant help you with your problem but when I went there to ask a question I had no problems with them and got some answers I needed. Also ya have to remember Jay, not everyone here is an ASE Master Technican, so they might not want to post something there not sure about and steer you in the wrong direction.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2001, 07:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hold on there. I think you guys have me all wrong. I was way over stressed yesterday. If it could go wrong it did. I sure you all have had days like that. With the Jeep list I have had little trouble I just felt like a stranger and I think that when you need help in a bad situation you need friends. I got tons of good information and I agree it was not at the speed I needed it. I had to get this fixed and if I did not have the info I needed by a certian time I was going to miss my window at shop. So I needed to know if I could trouble shoot this or did someone eles have to. Anyway thanks for all the help sorry if I got pissy. I freak out when it hits the fan. I guess I will have to visit the jeep list more often and chat. We love our Jeep and plan to always own it. We rely on it a lot and it sucks when it lets you down. I will let you all know what the outcome is on this. Thanks again.
Thanks Jeepn

Jason

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2001, 07:46 AM
I Do This For The Glory

No problem, I know where you're coming from. I was seriously stressing before EMWF, and was really bummed when I couldn't take it. EMWF was prime Zuk wheeling, it would have done very well, REALLY tight trails. Sucks when stuff like this happens, definitely let us know what the problem was.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2001, 09:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

UPDATE:

The jeep shop called. They said it was a bad coil. I asked how they knew and they said, "we put one on and it ran fine." I asked what the code from the jeep said and he said that it was not writen down. I told him I wanted to know because that is why it is there in the frist place. Then he said that if it was fine, then it would not have a code. I said Bullsh!t, and said if it was fine it would be a code 33. Thanks LEVE and Jeepn. Anyway, I also mentioned that the coil is new and I inquired about how often they fail. Two in four Years with only a six month gap between them raises a flag for me. And I asked about the excessive fuel consumpton. If it is sucking fuel. (it getting 10 MPG) How come it did not give a fuel mixture code. So anyway he is getting back to me with my questions. What do you all think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode