1/2 clean carb - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

1/2 clean carb

I was looking in my stock carb the other day while trying to adjust my choke, which by the way I don't know how to do, and I noticed that the side of the carb with the butterfly was dirty. Not overly dirty but you could tell it was being used. The other side, the one without a flap, was spotless. It looked as if it had not been used since I cleaned it last. What the heck? Am I only running half my carb or what?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 01:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 1/2 clean carb

I had problems with the secondary not opening on my stock carb so went to a pony carb. Give it a rev by hand to see if it opens.Check your vacume line to make sure no leaks. As I was talking off all the emmisions stuff I noticed a large hole in the side of the EGR valve. May have been the problem but I was commited to the Pony at this point. Good Luck.

Don't force it, just get a bigger hammer.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for answering I was beginning to think no one was going to. I will check my EGR tonight. Do you have any idea how to adjust the choke on one of these things? I found an all text description of how to do it by bending a few brackets, but I could not figure it out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 02:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

With what little I know about carbs I feel safe saying that if you have a Samurai carb that is acting up get rid of it. They are very complex and require lots of knowledge to adjust. The Choke is automatic and gets info from different componets on your carb and from emmissions crap. Get a Weber or if on a budget go for a cheeper pony carb.

.02 Jason

I Work to Wheel, because I wheel, I work.
http://www.geocities.com/zuk_tonka/zuk.html
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 03:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Make sure your vac hoses are all hooked up. any hesitation
around 4k rpm? the secondary will stay cleaner anyway,
(In my experiance..) You will most likly Not see the secondary open just revving it, (I haven't) I went away from the stock carb as I had some wiring issues that I couldn't track down and went to a pony. (I didn't have a spare harness at the time.) Good luck

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

That is a good idea. But I have a guy willing to sell me a vortec really cheap. I plan to run the 1.3 until it dies or until I get the vortec ready to install. This makes me not want to spend any more on this little gerbil wheel than I have to.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Hesitation around 4K!!! What the he!! are you talking about? Ever since I put on the 31's it feels like it redlines around 3500-4000. What is the redline for a 1.3? I added an aftermarket tach so I am unsure. Should I be changing gears at a higher RPM?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 03:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

it is right around 6K

I Work to Wheel, because I wheel, I work.
http://www.geocities.com/zuk_tonka/zuk.html
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

I think if I ran mine up to 5500 it would shoot the engine right through the hood! Is there any reason you can think of for my engine to be different. And yes the tach is switched for operation on a four cyl.

88 hardtop, homemade SPOA, 31's
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 03:48 PM

i have a hesitation around 4000rpm in first gear... havent really noticed it in the others... ive looked at that carb a ton of times but ive never been able to find the secondary, much less figure out if its working or not... all my vacuum hoses are connected (i think)...

i had a bit of a problem last weekend when i went to start my zook.... it wouldnt start, so i opened the hood and removed the air cleaner and found the choke to be closed... the engine was cold but it had been running (just to back it out of the garage) about 30 minutes before without any problems... i held the choke open while my dad started it and it ran fine.... warmed it up and the choke stayed open...

can anyone explain what happened? i cant remember what the choke looked like the other times ive taken the air cleaner off with the engine cold...

Steve [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'88 Suzuki Samurai
'99 Toyota Tacoma (Tow Vehicle)
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode