Goodyear MT/R's any good?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Goodyear MT/R\'s any good??

I have a guy selling some of these that are new. He bought 33's to put on his YJ but find them too big and doesn't have the cash to regear. He wants 31's now. There are a few guys in the club I belong too have them, but none have use them in mud so far. What are they like and would they be a better choice over BFG mud??
Give me your input boys (or girls)..........

DannyL

http://www.partszuki.homestead.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 09:56 AM
Old Hand

Re: Goodyear MT/R\'s any good??

I know 2 guys running them out here...they both like them better than a BFG...
I would like a set too..rather than these Boggers...

Dave

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 10:07 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Well Max seems to like his well enough he has 2 set..
Sidewalls seem to hold up well, he has let air out
a few times in places that I didn't, (Bead slipping or
popping a little.) they haven't gone all the way off yet.

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Well I found out that our club gets them at $225CDN for 33's!!!
That sounds like a good price for new huh?
What I really want to know is that mud factor.......

DannyL

http://www.partszuki.homestead.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 10:26 AM
Keyboard Implanted

definately good tires danny. went wheeling with tim porter n jeff chester last winter. chester had them on his old orange n black rig. GREAT tires in the mud. id own them but hes going to use them on something else.
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 01:15 PM

Danny i have two sets of five. I bought the first set and that sold me on the second. They work good in the mud, i would assume better then the bfg's but i have no experience with that tire. I have popped a bead twice to lose some air, both time ive backed up quickly and it came back on. First time i lost air was in paragon at 4 and a half pounds, came out with a little over three after the run that popped it off momentarily. The second loss was on that walk along the lakeside at zukimelt that they had a "black diamond" sign on. I was at 3 and a half pounds and only lost a half pound of air when it slipped. Both times i backed up and it sealed up, then i re attacked in a better position. For that price, its a deal, the best i could get was 164 to the door from the 4x4 warehouse. Definately need 2 inch backspaced rims for 33's. What i want to know is what are people with 35's running for backspacing??

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 01:49 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I ran with a guy at EMWF (Eastern Maine Wheel Fest) that was running the 35" MTR's on his CJ-5. I was impressed, and they are definitely better than the BFG MT. While they are better, I don't think the extra price is enough to make me switch. They worked very well in mud, even at low RPM's and caked up. I was impressed overall, and I don't impress easily.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 04:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

According to four wheeler magazine or maybe it was petersons, the only tire that gripped better is lake bottom goo was the bogger. The goodyear even went farther in the pit than the normal tsl. I myself think goodyears suck, jus like i wont use any oil besides valvoline. Those are my opinions. Based on facts they are a good tire.

Hope this helps.

Will
"It aint the wand its the magician"
"Keep the shiny side up"
Tread lightly
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 05:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Danny, have you checked out the new, new BFG M/T KM? The KM did to the MT what the KO did to the AT. I'm very impressed. The BFG was the essential off-road tire. The new MT/R challanged that. BFG countered with the new tires.

Compared to the old BFG MT, the new KM's sport 40% bigger footprint at the same PSI, have larger voids, better compound and new sidewall lugs.

From waht I've seen, pretty sweet tire

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2001, 02:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Danny

So far I really like my 33 MTRs. The article that has been referred to tested 9 tires in the mud. Boggers came in first then SSR Swampers then the Goodyear MTRs then the TSL Swampers.

A real disappointment to me in that test was that the Yokohama Geolander MTs came in last place. I was already to buy a set of them before the article.

So after that I was really leaning torwards buying a set of 33 Swamper Radials.

I was dreading pushing the weight, the vibration and the noise from those Swampers getting to the trails.

Ran into a guy who was wanting to get a Samurai after taking a ride in mine and it just so happens that he was an assistant sales manager for my local Goodyear Dealership.

He made me an offer way to good to turn down.

One of the things I like about these MTRs so far is they are really quiet and run very smooth down the road for a mudder. I had mine up to 80 miles an hour the other night for about 30 miles. They never offered to wonder or pull me to one side of the road once. No thumpy, thumpy or bouncy, bouncy down the road either.

Had em in deep sand and loose gravel in places where my old tires would have started digging and or would start loosing traction in 2 wheel drive. These MTRs just pushed right on through without a hint of a problem or having to lock in the front hubs.

Id say if your rig is a daily driver driver like mine is but you want something aggressive when you hit the trail. These tires are for you.

If your rig is mostly just for off road and in the mud most of the time, then maybe Boggers or Swampers would be the best for you.

I luv my MTRs so far!

Moose

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode