Samurai - Endangered Species.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Samurai - Endangered Species....

Just a thought.... although it does plague me.......

Being that the Samurai is no longer made as we know it, it's only a matter of time till the last one gives up the ghost. How long till that happens, I wouldn't even begin to venture a guess. I understand full well that we use them and have heaps of fun with them and they don't belong in a museum, but I'm wondering (out loud), if we shouldn't be more conservative (subject to interpretation) in our use.
I always seem to create moral dillemas where none might exist. Maybe that is just my way.
Why am I posting this and what precipitated it? Well, I've been gifted with an 88 1/2 Sami (bringing my herd to 3) to be used as a parts vehicle. I almost feel guilty taking parts from it (I have already) knowing that I'm sealing it's fate.
I've always been a conservationist at heart. I suppose that mindset permeates everything I do.
It's much like any natural resource we have. We usually abuse it till we get to a critical point (usually too late) and instead of crisis prevention, we adopt crisis management.
Any thoughts on this?
And quite possibly, I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill.......

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 10:02 PM

Re: Samurai - Endangered Species....

Hey Crow,

I've suffered through several dismantelings and I can understand your dilemna. Every one I tear apart is one less out there. But, I look at it like this, it's become an organ donor (I'm a donor BTW). It has sacrificed a life or sped up a certain death to assure that another might live. Maybe you should look for a minty fresh one which you can park (occasionally drive) to appreciate from where the heritage has sprung...

I recently delivered a stock Sami to a gentleman in Philadelphia and I REALLY enjoyed how it handled and felt on the road. It's made me think about getting a stocker for around town.

AARRRRRRRG! 1987 Red JX 'vert, 4.5 BREEZE SPOA, SJ410 T-case (not sure how I like it), 29 Super Swampers (31 BFG M/T knock offs - eventually) AARRRRRRRG!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 10:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Crow, this has happened twice to me. Last year I came across an '88.5 that was just sitting in a guy's driveway. At the time I thought it would make a great parts truck. I approached the owner and he luckily was looking to sell it anyway, so I picked it up for $600. Well this truck was in excellent shape in and out and it even had a removable hardtop. I knew I couldn't tear it apart, so I sold it (for $3000). The new owner went ahead and built it up and now he loves that truck. I recently found an '87, similar situation. This one has the removable fastback hardtop and I paid $600 again (must be a magic number - Canadian dollars too BTW). It needs some work to make it road worthy again such as windshield, the driver's door glass was smashed out and other little things need fixing, but the body is almost rust free which is quite rare in these parts. This one too was supposed to be a parts truck, but I just can't do that, so I'll fix it and sell it to keep the tradition alive. I think what we have to remind ourselves is that if there is any possibility that we can resurrect a Samurai we should do it. If you want to use it as a parts truck just wait a while because another one is sure to come your way which will have no hope of resurrection, and that is where you'll get your parts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 12:33 AM

Crow-Youre not the only one whos been taken back by the thought.When I first got mine I was actually scared to build it up do to the fact that parts around here(Ga)were VERY scarce.So Im spending the least amount of $$$ possible on mine to fit my trail needs.I guess we'll just enjoy 'em while we have them and fall into an irreversable state of deppresion when theyre gone.

Hey,I know a shortcut......[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 12:44 AM
Addict

The Samurai is no longer sold in the US. However, it is still built in Spain-save for a new dash, bumpers, and cosmetic items-it is the same Samurai that was sold in the US from 86-95. So, they are still being built and sold across Europe. I believe that the factory in India is still pumping them out too. The Japanese factory is still producing the coil-sprung Samurai-not the Jimny-but the coil sprung Samurai.

IMHO, the Suzuki Samurai is much more popular than the Jeep Wrangler here in Europe and in the mid-eastern countries. Therefore, Suzuki will have the parts for years to come. It's just a question of whether or not Suzuki of North America will choose to import these parts.

1988.5 Zuk: OD Green Paint, ARB Bumper, OME Lift, 1.6 engine, ISKY DP Cam, Weber Carb, CF II Clutch, 4.16 Transfer, etc.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 01:27 AM
Alfie

"Only when the last buffalo has been killed, the last river dammed, the last tree felled, only then will you realise that you can't eat your Samurai."
(Sorry Crow,)
You are right. The day will come. The new Suzuki Jimny is the heir apparent to the throne. Already lift kits and mods available for it.
It'll never be a Sammi, but we will have to make do.
How do the I.H. Scouts and the like survive?
Alfie.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 02:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

They still sell Samurais in Europe? That is why I see them sometimes on those Land Rover magazines. Also on those international four wheel drive vehicles websites.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 05:51 AM
Addict

Yep, they still build and sell the old leaf sprung Samurai in Europe. They also sell the LWB model here too. Engines are the 1.3 FI or a 1.9 turbo diesel. No airbags or any other modernizations. Safety standards aren't as stringent here.

1988.5 Zuk: OD Green Paint, ARB Bumper, OME Lift, 1.6 engine, ISKY DP Cam, Weber Carb, CF II Clutch, 4.16 Transfer, etc.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 06:50 AM
Can't Get Enough

Two words... VW BEETLE. The Beetle has not been imported (only under special circumstances have people been able to import them from Mexico, and yes, they still make the old style Beetle) by VW since 1978. There is quite a big following of the air-cooled VW's, be it Beetles, Transporters, Karmann Ghias, Things, etc. I know there were many, more (millions each year) VW's imported into the US than Samurai's, but if you stand behind your aftermarket vendors, you can keep the Samurai legacy alive. It's fate lies in your hands...

... And just to show you that people are currently working to keep the legacy alive, two manufacturers are working to build fiberglass tubs. Until just recently, someone started making fiberglass tubs for Beetles.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 07:07 AM
Can't Get Enough

The Samurai could become rare, but it'll be a long ways off. My old ride was a Jeep Scrambler (thus the _CJ8) which is a scarce vehicle - only 27,000 made. I always figured it would become a collectors item, but modified it anyway. Finally sold it for around $8k - twice the sticker price. Now I see a current 4WD magazine with a write-up on how this is the vehicle of choice anymore. I agree, the bed makes it the best choice Jeep. But there are so many aftermarket parts available, that with a frame, you could actually build one, tub and all, and still look completely stock. So they keep popping up.
Samurais, however are unique. Who can say what the future will be for them. I think they are destined to become collectors items too.

Nothing makes a statement like a modified off-road rig driving down the road. I don't need a bumper sticker that says: "I'd rather be off-roading" -THAT'S OBVIOUS!
I love it when people say: "That thing looks like it could go anywhere!?" I just smile and say, "yep".

Scott Trester - '88.5 Suzuki Samurai
http://RockPile4x4.tripod.com/Scott.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode