what descision?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 08:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

what descision??

O.K. guys we all know I have a stock zuk.....and I am always goin at it at a budget! but everytime I get into it I always want to do some really drastic stuff! Hence I need yalls ideas once more! What set-up do yall think I should run for my first time zuk??

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 10:20 AM
Addict

Re: what descision??

Keep the #1 thing in mind Keep you and your passenger SAFE Just do a simple SPOA to begin with. Learn to drive it like that for a while. Then when you save up your money you can slowly add on to it. Take your time and save your money. Keep in mind if this Zuk is going to be your daily, you dont need to get into anything radical right off the bat. Keep it with in your budget. Some of the mods can cost lots of money. Take your time, learn and enjoy what your Zuk will do with the mods you have. Then when you can afford to add other mods.Install a good roll cage and a good set of seat belts. I have found that when you start adding stuff to your Zuk, there are always hidden cost. Example: Add bigger tires - You need new wheels - you need to regear- then you need to start beefing mounts - adding birfield rings - longer shocks - longer brake lines - longer drive shafts, springs....... Then you find you need a truck and trailer because you dont feel safe driving your it at hiway speeds. The list can go on and on, and so does the cost. Im not trying to discourage you from building the ultimat Zuk !! Just keep it within your budget and remember not to spend all of your $$$$ that is available to your bank account on your Zuk. Just my $.02

<font color=red>Toolmaster</font color=red>
http://sites.netscape.net/tmtoolmans/zuki
http://caos.rockcrawler.com/
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 11:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yah I am lookin at gettin the money to do a SPOA lift right now then lookin into some 31's! I probably wont gear and everything else right away but I will make sure I get the rims and such! I see what you are saying with....unexpected costs! I never try to plan out the exact amount of money now cause I learned there is always something else you need to buy as I found out with my stereo!

Thanx
Studly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 05:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is that stereo working yet by the way?

Drive fast and take chances.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 09:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yah and it is loud! hell I do not even have the doors on and my friends can here me commin down the road!

Thanx
Studly
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 11:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The cheapest, most trouble free lift I had for years was National 3 inch lift springs, longer shocks. Never messed with the driveshafts or steering. Was very stable on the highway, rode better on the highway, and took a beating off road. I put many miles on that set up. Would highly recommend going that direction for your first lift. I've gone spring over now, to fit bigger tires, and have had much more expense with this one! Also, I would recommend getting transfercase gears first if you are going to 31's....It won't move to fast on the street!
Hope this helps

Andy Feingold
88.5 Samurai, SPOA,Rancho springs, Rocklobster, full cage, Schroth Harness belts, EZ locker, 32x10.50 Swampers, on board air, Weber, header etc...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 11:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well I was sort of set on the SPOA but I will definitely look into the 3" nationals!

Thanx
Studly
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 08:25 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Do a simple SOA and find some used 31's. Forget gearing, do that next. Learn to wheel and drive your vehicle in a nearly stock form. Once you have it mastered (not just drive comfortably), upgrade it one piece at a time. When you have mastered your vehicle, you won't need to ask what mods to make, you'll know, and in what order they should be made.

So few people actually take the time to learn their vehicle. I know of people wheeling a DJ, which is a right hand drive jeep, on 4WD trails, with nothing more than a rear locker, and the jeep is completely stock. Where they go amazes even me, and I've been around awhile. If you do this, you'll learn how to read a trail and look for lines to take on an obstacle, because you have to, and the experience you'll gain will do more than any mod ever could.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 10:11 AM
Can't Get Enough

Well Studly, like I have suggested before... start with getting it converted to 4WD. Until you do that you'll just be p!ssin' in the wind to spend a lot of money modifying your suspension.

Next, I would put a locker in the rear. That will make your rig go most places without spending a fortune. After that you can think about a lift and bigger tires, etc.

Email: [email protected]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 10:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree. Get your front axel. I can give you a lead on one if you need it.

Jason

I Work to Wheel, because I wheel, I work.
http://www.geocities.com/zuk_tonka/zuk.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode