still learnin, kingpin bearings? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

still learnin, kingpin bearings?

how difficult are they and hows it done. I have a front end woble and i have heard that it could be kingpins. I was thinking it could be the low amount of caster given to the sami since it doesnt have power steering. I also have a pop somtimes when turning sharp in the fron right.

87 silver sami,30x9.50's, no lift yet, accel 8mm wires, $10 intake, $20 exhaust. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 11:21 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: still learnin, kingpin bearings?

howdy,
i did my kingpin bearings in 6 hours, but they were cover in grease. but after the change of new kingpins, i found out my real problem was the wippie steering damper. so if i was you i would try that first. but since it is an 87 i would look into changeing out the kingpins sometime in the future.

Jimmie & MONZUKI

"God doesn't have to hand out brains everyday."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 05:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

worn knuckle seals will do that too

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 08:28 AM
Keyboard Implanted

hey man, have you dont wheel bearings recently? if not, check them too. i had a pop or 2 in my front end, finally did my bearings, drivers side were decintigrated. came out in about 30 pieces. check out trail tough(think its him), has a complete front end rebuild kit for like $140, knuckle bearings, felt seals, wheel bearings, bearing seals. everything. just a thought.
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 09:42 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Things to check and or replace on the zook with a case of the shakes or anything doing with the front steering.
The rubber knuckel seals (replaced mine, love it),
Front wheel bearings (yup, I had an eaten one too),
The little nut and screw on top of the steering gear box,
The doughnut steering thinggie,
Torque on the wheel bearing nut-hold-front-wheel-on-assembely, <G>
Go ahead and replace the stock steering dampener (I almost crashed because of mine with the bump steer!),
and yeah, go ahead and re-grease the whole front end system (bearings {inner and outer}, remove all grease and sand and other schrapnel from the bierfield and clean with diesel, regrease with some quality grease {don't forget to pack it in there good!!!!!})
That should do it, if you still have the shakes, rotate the tires or have them balanced. The cheapest steering dampener/shock (sorry don't know what it is called) I found as a direct replacement was like 35 bucks down here @ pep boys. The real replacement they had for the zook was 19 and there was a lameass bracket thing for it for another 19. So I looked @ all the dampeners they had and found one that would work for me (yes it bolts right up ).

got zook?
http://www.geocities.com/bik3r
29x10.5x15 SS TSL *SX*, Calmini Header, SPOA, Lights, Dupicolor, Z-bar, Xenon lights, diamond plate rockers, tubes front, rear, & sides!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 10:08 AM

i had a bad case of wobble at 45-50 mph-one of 1st things i checked was wheel bearing play but it was ok--but the whole knuckle assembly on the left had play. ordered front-end rebuild kit from brent at trailtough--very complete kit!!--installation wasn't hard--just take your time, note how everything comes apart, clean all parts to be reassembled well, & use a good grease like mobil 1 --made a night & day difference in mine--no more wobble and also it doesn't wander near as much at highway speeds!! the kit contains wheel bearings, kingpin bearings, knuckle seals & felt, hub seals etc. as i remember it was $169 for both sides. money & time well spent!! good luck!!

cueball
88 hd-top,1.3with weber, calmini cam,headers & 2" exhaust, jacobs ignition, 3" national spua , 4.16 tc gears, 88.5 5th gear,29x10.50 swamper tsl sx's
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 10:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think I have the same problem. I have checked and rechecked my bearing and I still have front end play. I did the math on brents kit and it is a great price so far. The best price I can find here for front wheel bearing is 22 a pop + tax and that is 25 easy times for is 100.00 that is the cost of most of the kit. $69.00 more gets you all the king pin and knuckel stuff. The only thing is I need to get my motor figured out frist. .02

Jason

I Work to Wheel, because I wheel, I work.
http://www.geocities.com/zuk_tonka/zuk.html
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

well thanxs guys, looks like are start with the cheap first. The steering dampner looks like a good place to start. I had lots of wander too but a few days ago i increased the toe in just a little and no it tracks way straiter. thanx again yall.

87 silver sami,30x9.50's, no lift yet, accel 8mm wires, $10 intake, $20 exhaust. :-)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 01:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Put the front axle up on stands, slowly steer right, then left. If there is any play, tighten the flat head screw thing on top of the steering gear box. That took all the play out of my zook, the dampener helped lotz, and the rubber knuckle seals took care of the rest.

got zook?
http://www.geocities.com/bik3r
29x10.5x15 SS TSL *SX*, Calmini Header, SPOA, Lights, Dupicolor, Z-bar, Xenon lights, diamond plate rockers, tubes front, rear, & sides!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode