Super extending driveshafts... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Super extending driveshafts...

Hey, I'm about to embarke on a radical suspension project for the zook and I need a super-dee-duper extending front driveshaft. I need one to yield about 22" of slip yoke. Does anyone know who will build a good custom driveshaft for the least amount of dough?

Pillard
'87 Sami, 5.5" SpOA, 33" Pro-Comps, Snorkel, 8k winch, 23" buggy-leafs, Cal 4.16 t-case, Lkd Frt, welded rear, 8-point Roll Cage, etc, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 10:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Super extending driveshafts...

Pillard,

Vasquez mechanic and welding here near me Just built my buddy an 18" slip yoke shaft for his CJ 7 for 200.00
email me and I will get you a phone #

88sami,GRS2,5.12gears,SR front,3/4 elliptic rear Chevy PS, 33x15.50 Swampers, custom body damage by me.
Hey, Jeeps do taste like Chicken!!!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 11:01 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

howdy,
you can try www.zukisouth.com they sell the Darn Good Driveshafts. or check out www.rocky-road.com they sell a driveshaft that is good up to a 14" lift for $300 bucks. but the best idea is to talk to so welding shops by you that can weld some up for you. i went with yota fronts and rears for mine.

Jimmie & MONZUKI

"God doesn't have to hand out brains everyday."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 11:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Not to bust on you JIMZUKI but the DGD driveshafts only offer like 6" of slip and RRO's new KAD shafts offer 10" of slip. 22" is definitley going to be custom. What kind of radical suspension are you designing?

Go Big! If not in your ride, in your heart!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 11:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

try the square tubing drive shafts i know they work great for pto shaft on tractors

Flaming Zuki [/b]"It is dangerous to be sincere unless you are also stupid"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Well, I've been doin' some investigating, and I've decided to incorporate my buggy-leafs with Porter's design for XS-parts. Tractor front-end, with the buggies in shackle-reversal configuration. Guarunteed to yeild incredible results, provded you have the shocks, brakelines, and slip-yokes to handle it.

Pillard
'87 Sami, 5.5" SpOA, 33" Pro-Comps, Snorkel, 8k winch, 23" buggy-leafs, Cal 4.16 t-case, Lkd Frt, welded rear, 8-point Roll Cage, etc, etc.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 07:23 AM
I Do This For The Glory

22" of travel on a driveshaft means the front end would have to drop 44" (assuming 45 degree angle). For it to drop that far, you would have to be high centered for both axle shafts to drop. For one side to drop, I can do some calculations (I love math), but I doubt you'd need 22" of travel.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 08:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The real difference is that you will get the DGD driveshaft before you die!
ROB

post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

You're right, but the added spline length greatly increases the strength of the driveshaft at maximum extension. Since I'll be running long buggies in S/R config, the axle will rotate away from the d-shaft in articulation, so it needs quite a bit of length to it.

Pillard
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 09:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

heeey perry, it'd be a lot cheaper to build a stronger driveshaft with a shorter 6 to 8" slip yoke. you'll never use 22". you will encounter u-joint bind way before that. you're real close as it is. i would get a 2" extended slip yoke from trail tough and beef up the long part of you're driveshaft. also , if you reverse the x cess parts arms to shackle reversal, after about 8 " drop you're pinion will be pointed at mexico!! i got a buddy building my intermediate shaft out of schedule 40 pipe. he made one for the rear of his cj-7 with 400 + hp and 1-ton axles with 39" boggers, and it will not break!!! gimme a ring, he'll probably build ya one fer cheap>

87 sammy (RAIL BUGGY) PROJECT 50 % complete. isuzu/chevy luv motor, auto tranny, tube chassis,3 link coils rear,at least 35" boggers, and whatever else i can get a deal on and modify.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode