235's on my stock rig - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 01:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

235\'s on my stock rig

I'm in the process of installing 235x75R15's on my stock '86 Sammy. So far I have had to trim my front bumper, no big deal, but I have found that I also have to trim the lower bumper mount bracket. Anyone else experience this? I am hesitating to cut the lower bumper mount since doing so will force me to have to drill a new mounting hole and then I won't be able to easily fit an aftermarket bumper since my mount holes will be different.

Aside from rubbing on the bumper bracket the tires don't seem to hit anywhere else. I took the rig out and tried to flex the suspension and look for any contact points but I didn't see any. Is there anyone who has had any experience doing this? You might ask why I don't just buy a $60 shackle lift and the reason is I'm cheap, plus I am under the impression that the shackle lift changes the caster angle causing poor handling.

'86 Samurai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 02:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 235\'s on my stock rig

That's a fact. You have to run shims with a shackle lift or your zuk will be all over the road.

Go Big! If not in your ride, in your heart!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 02:30 AM
Alfie

Rockrider been there done that and learned the hard way.
Yes you have to cut off your bumper mounts, yes you have to manufacture a better bumper. yes your tyres will hit the inner guard and get cut. Yes you will want more travel. and yes you will eventually go, "F#$%& it I might as well go the whole hog, cos I'm havin soooooo much fun man"
But what the heck, just have fun, cos that's why we buy Zooks in the first place, right?
A quote from an Austruckinfalian mag I read recently, "A Suzuki is for life".
Man that's true, so's a dog, but now many guys trade in their wife more often.
Whoops gettin philosoflical here, time for bed.
Alfie.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 02:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, I'm glad to hear that I'm on the right track. Even though the wheel wells are stuffed, I think the rig looks pretty good. Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm using wider, white spoke style rims off a full size Ford Bronco.

'86 Samurai
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 03:19 AM

None of the aftermarket bumpers I have seen use the stock bumper mounts so it is safe to cut them. I cut mine completely off and run 31's and a trailtough bumper.

Moozuki's home page

http://members.home.net/cryburn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode