Mikuni cabs Kick @$$!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 09:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mikuni cabs Kick @$$!!!

I finally installed my carbs so I could fire up the engine after sitting since I got gear oil in my ARB locker. Those carbs kick a$$. They lock really cool and the have a better sound than stock or a Weber. I just need to install the air filters.

N/A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 10:11 PM

Re: Mikuni cabs Kick @$$!!!

Hey Red,

Glad you like them. Can I have 'em back now?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

AARRRRRRRG! 1987 Red JX 'vert, 4.5 BREEZE SPOA, SJ410 T-case (not sure how I like it), 29 Super Swampers (31 BFG M/T knock offs - eventually) AARRRRRRRG!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 10:39 PM
Can't Get Enough

Wait until you start driving with them. It is very hard to keep your foot out of them. Do you have a 1.3 or 1.6 engine? I have them on a 1.6 and they kick some major @$$!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 12:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ive had my Mukunis now for about 6 to 7 years now. They are great!

One thing you guys need to do though, is run down all the spare parts you can for them.

Mukuni has stopped making the carbs and its becoming increasingly hard to get spare parts for them.

I just built a 1600 and increased the compression and added a special ground custom cam from Asian Auto Parts. I had to increase the size of the pilot jets and main jets.

You can also get an air flow meter from JC Whitney for about $20 to $30 bucks that makes it real nice for keeping them tuned in sync.

Heres a tip. If one day they are running great and then start running like crap. The main air, main jets and pilot jets sometimes will back out from engine vibration. All you have to do is take the top cover off and screw them back in. Do not ever lock tight them in though because you may need to change jets on day and the brass jets do not hold up well to a lot of torque from a screw driver.

Moose

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 04:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Forgot one more thing.

You said that you needed to install some air cleaners.

Well, with my past experience try and get a Mukuni set of breathers.

I had problems with Calminis filters. They seem to suck the dirt in through Calminis Mukuni filters giving you a Mexican bore job.

The Mukuni filters work much better and look like the weber wire mesh filters.

Then I find that if you put on Calminis filter wraps for the webers on top of the Mukuni filters. They will help keep a lot of the dirt build up out of those like weber wire mesh filters. Making clean up much faster and easier.

Dont forget the oil treatment on those wire mesh filters from weber.

If your not going to off road I suppose the Calmini filters would get you by for a while.

But then whats the point of owning a Samurai?

Moose

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 04:16 PM
zukiman

You might also consider getting one (or rather, two) of the K&N "PreCharger" air filter pre-filters, if they make any that fit. I have one of those on my Weber's filter, and it really does a lot to capture the larger chunks of grit that want to get into your filter. It helps prolong the intervals between cleaning and re-oiling the filter. And it's simple to clean, just slip it off the filter, swish it around in some water, and slip it back over the filter, like a sock.

-- Geoff Beasley

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 04:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Geoff Mikuni cabs Kick @$$!!!

Hey Geoff.

Hows those Swampers wearing?

Have you changed your timing belt on your GTI motor yet?

I just put on a set of 33X1250X15 Goodyear MTRs.

Plus a 1600 and some other things.

Moose

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 04:47 PM
zukiman

Re: Geoff Mikuni cabs Kick @$$!!!

These Swampers are wearing GREAT! I've put almost 10,000 miles on them and you can hardly see any wear. I couldn't have lost more than 1/32nd-inch tread depth yet. The only way you can really tell that these tires have been well used is that the edges of the tread blocks aren't a sharp 90* corner like new (they're rounded off a bit, as all tires get) and they have some grooves and a couple small chunks out of them (from the rocks). I rotated them at about 7,000 miles which made them noisier for a few hundred miles as they wore into the new rotational pattern. But overall, they are virtually silent (hardly any tire hum, just the wind noise they generate) and still drive like an all-terrain tire on the pavement. Off-road (except in deep gumbo mud, in which the Boggers are superior) there is no better tire, as far as I'm concerned. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

As for my timing belt, I haven't changed it yet. I've put about 12,000 miles on my motor and it's running better than ever. I made the switch to synthetic oil too quickly (all it did was drink it, requiring another quart every 2,000 miles) but I've switched back to 10-30 conventional to continue letting it break in. These chrome rings take a long time to seat properly! I'm sure happy with the motor, though. It's not even strained when the tach pegs, although I usually shift at that point anyways. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] This little high-compression GTi hybrid can pull 5th gear on the highway despite turning 34-inch-tall tires with a GRS2 and stock axle gears. Those 3.73's are about to be replaced by some 4.57's though, so I should be able to pull 80-85 again on the highway and outrun my friend Adam's 8-valve 1600 with ease. I'll tell ya this, though: it's sure scary to go that fast on such a tall, short-wheelbase, softly-sprung vehicle! I wouldn't want to go any faster than that. It's nice to just be able to downshift and hold my speed going up hills, rather than slowing down and getting tailgated by big-rigs.

-- Geoff Beasley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode