popular axle swaps? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 07:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

popular axle swaps?

I just bought another samurai so my neighbor and I could build a 'thing'. I want to put some other axles under it . . but I am unsure of what to use. My requirements are that they are wider and tougher than the stock axles. We originally thought of using toyota axles, but it would make it a bigger hassle because toyota front axles do not have crossover steering . . so we would have to use a kit like All Pro's to convert it over ($650). I would justlike to hear some ideas. I thought about fullsize axles, but that would be a bit of a hassle since they would significantly increase the weight of the vehicle and their width would make it illegal to drive on the freeway, because I do not htink ANYONE makes fender flares THAT wide!

RAGEx2
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 09:55 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: popular axle swaps?

Well, I'm putting a D30 front and older D44 rear. The strongest offset rear if out of the 1971 Jeep CJ, it came with 30 spline axles that are 1 piece and 1.31" in diameter. The 1970 and earlier CJ's used 2 piece axles and are only 19 spline, but they'll be fine for the stock engine. The older D44 also came stock with 5.38's.

The rear AMC 20 behind the automatics was also offset, as was the wider D44 used in the Cherokees and Wagoneers, but they are pretty wide. I'd stick with the narrow track CJ axles found in automatics from '76-'81, they have an 8 7/8" ring gear with 1.25" shafts and can handle some serious HP.

I plan on using the rear D44 with 5.38's and the newer Jeep CJ narrow track D30 front, about the same width as the stock Zuk axle. The up side is they are a little larger, have disc brakes, and U-joints. I'll regear it to 5.38, which is the lowest you can get for it.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 09:58 PM

Hey JEEPN, I think I might have found you a Pony Carb if you still want one?

Rodney C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 08:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got a Sammy/Tracker hybrid rear-end myself. I'll swear by them! Trail Tough makes them for about $150, I think. Benifits are that you automatically get a 4.62 or 5.12 gear ratio when you do the hybrid and all you need to buy is the Tracker front R&P to match. There is also something to be said for retaing the factory gear setup. So you get a rear-end that will handle even a 4.3 V6 and gears perfect for 31's or 33's.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-497013-Umud1.JPG (31.3 KB, 45 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 02:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

im very happy with my toy axle swap. i bought a junker toy for 200 bucks. stripped it, sold the parts got my money back. they come spoa 5.5" of lift. had 438 gears in the axles. much bigger brakes, 30 spline axles. so just some work and i got a pretty descent ride for real cheap. with 35x15/15 tsl's the 438's brought it back close to stock gearing. savin up for a grs now and i should b plenty low enough. steering, just made a zlink to go to the stock zuk steering box. good luck.... Jim

build it, break it, then build it better.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 03:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i dont know, im lookin`for toyota landcruisler 60 or 80 axles myself. factory front & rear dif.locks, strong enought for 39x18 15r tire... , planinŽ coils...
Last 3 days i am "demolished" my zook ,now i got some things to do (lookin for new pc) I quess in tuesday i`ll lift off engine and then iŽll clean some other junk off(like axles) and then - sandblast(frame) . I did some pics, maybe iŽll post them, when i work out how to use my dv camera and get my new pc with firewire....

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 04:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am also useing the rear sidekick hybrid rear end and so far so good been in there about a year now with 5:12 gears. I run 2wd as much as posible and not very easy on it either.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 08:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

If you wheel with any Jeepers, they tend to face the same problems we have but on a much larger scale (Heavier)
so thier offcast Dana 30's and 44's will work very well
for rigs the size of ours. There where quite a few buggy types at the melt with Dana axles. I run a Hybred rear,
I am going to stay with that, I am looking into a dana 30 /zuke front hybred that I plan On making this fall/ winter. It will use the knuckles/hubs and axles from the
dana and the center chunk for the zook, (I don't want to loose more ground clearance and am allready geared and locked..) and truss the heck out of it.

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 10:14 PM

I like the idea about the 30/zuke front hybred, How do you plan to get the axle shafts to go into the smaller Suzuki spider gear/Locker? Are you going to modify the spider gears? I would Like to here you views on this because I have a D30 Wide track from a CJ7 and I would Like to make the swap, but I also want the extra ground clearance and the 5.12's from the Samurai Axle! Thanks:

Rodney C
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 03:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

QUestion for Got zuk? :

Did you make the zlink go to the passenger or driver's side? Did you make a custom bracket to bolt it to the passenger side? Would it be possible for you to post some pictures? We are definetly going to go with some Toyota axles now since I am putting 2 1/2ton military axles under my toy and that leaves me with some extra axles for the zuk!

RAGEx2
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode