windsheild mounted lights - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

windsheild mounted lights

for those of you with windsheild mounted lights... how do you like these? ive always thought that they would look really cool on my zook, but i was looking the other day when i had my hood open and im wondering if i will still be able to open the hood all the way with these lights... i also have a cb antenna mounted above the fender in the space between the door and the hood so im not sure if that will get in the way either.... ive wanted some of these lights for about 2 years now, and i might actually get some pretty soon... i just hope my alternator can handle it...

thanks

Steve [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'88 Suzuki Samurai
'99 Toyota Tacoma (Tow Vehicle)
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 10:56 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: windsheild mounted lights

I used to mount some on my upper door mounts, the hood opened up all the way to the windshield....and I loved the coverage it gave me at night. But I got rid of them and put procomp 130's on my front bumper instead.

Bill Forrest!!............Off-Road Champion.
http://www.geocities.com/zukybill/index.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-496106-bill2.jpg (96.6 KB, 13 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 11:57 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Hate them, and yes, they do get in the way for opening the hood. It'll stay open on it's own, but it's just about vertical.

I took them off once, then put them back on to tow it to the garage, and now I'm going to take them off again. I'm giving them to someone and forgot, sorry about that. I have their name at the house, it just slipped my mind.

They worked fine otherwise, no glare at night, but I didn't like the shadow the hood left. They would be fine for powering down a woods road to camp, but for off-roading they were in the wrong place.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 12:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

JEEPN must have had a poor mounting area because my hood opens all the way and they light up the trail like daylight for me! Not kidding. They used to be on my overhead rack and thats where I seamed to get a little glare. I moved them on a trial basis but they are going to stay right where there at for sure. I use four of those 55 watters with a good relay & they work great!

Red5
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 12:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

heres what they look like!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-496160-IMAGE031.jpg (48.1 KB, 19 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 01:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

DUDE! thats a kicking rig! Nice brush guard, does that effect the engine cooling?

got zook?
http://www.geocities.com/bik3r
29x10.5x15 SS TSL *SX*, Calmini Header, SPOA, Lights, Dupicolor, Z-bar, Xenon lights, diamond plate rockers, tubes front, rear, & sides!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 02:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Steve,
when i put my lights on, it was because they would not fit on the dented tin can, err stock bumper. I mounted my mirrors(CJ style) on the windshield mounts so i had to put the lights elsewhere. I installed them on the cowl area, just inside each windshield bracket. Drilled a hole per the light manuf instructions, and presto- lights on the hood. I did add some metal "spacers"" on either side of the cowl, as just the sheet metal would not hold up to the vibrations. drilled a second hole to the inside of the mounting hole, and ran the wires through a heat shrink tube. Nice thing is that the mounting nut and wires are behind the dash and accessible if needed. dont have a pic, but you can go to rocky-roads website, and under the bumper section, where they show Crawler options, some new pics have been added- one of which from zookn 2k. Theres a big monster grey zook(randys)- look just to the right at the edge of the pic for a skyblue stocker- thats mine and I think you can see where/how the light was mounted. And no problems with light reflection. Just make sure before you drill the holes, you can open the hood fully. Mine does, but barely.
HTH,
db

dbenj
88.5 zook, mini mudders, 2"shackles,Thorley Header,K&N,Pony Carb,GM Alt,custom ski bumper,yankee off road hood latches.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 03:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

nope! the brush guard does not affect cooling. My gauge reads less than half most of the time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode