R CJ springs = 2 Zook rear in length? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 09:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

R CJ springs = 2 Zook rear in length?

I have seen a lot of post reguarding putting the rear springs up front and CJ fronts in the rear. I understand the front but not clear on the rear. What has to be done to put the CJ in the rear? Is it a straight swap or are modifications needed? Also I have acess to both CJ springs and an additional set of Zook fronts. Which would be better to have two sets of Zook rears or Zook rears up front and CJ in rears? Man was that confusing to write. Thanks

Don't force it, just get a bigger hammer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 10:37 PM

Re: R CJ springs = 2 Zook rear in length?

I'm running YJ's myself, but my understanding is that the CJ front springs are a couple inches longer than the zuki rear springs. The zuki rear springs are 2 inches longer than the zuki front springs (39 vs 37 inches). The longer length of the springs allows for more flex of the spring and a softer ride. I'm not sure exactly what is required to run the longer springs though.

Mark
1986 Suzuki Samurai soft-top
1999 Toyota Tacoma
http://members.home.net/marvinmartian
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 10:07 AM
Can't Get Enough

Welp, if your going to put the "front" CJ's in the rear ad mount in the stock hanger....
Drill a new spring pin hole in your spring perch and U bolt plate 1" back from the stock holes. then you would have to get some sort of Missing link shackle (Make sure it is the right length) I'm sure and of the vendor can help with this one. I put a pic of my old set up.
http://www.geocities.com/zukybill/bill2.html

Bill Forrest!!............Off-Road Champion.
http://www.geocities.com/zukybill/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 08:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Front CJ springs from a 1976+, are 2" wide and will work on the Samurai. They are a few inches longer than Samurai springs which is where the trouble comes in. What alot of folks do is add a set of our Missing Links for their shackles. These then allow the installation of the CJ springs with no cutting or welding. A very simple install.

You want to see some CRAZY flex, we helped set up Bill Johnston of ORC and IZOOK editorial staff with a set of our Missing Links COMBINED with our rear spring swap kit and put CJ springs on the front of his Samurai. A complete bolton setup. An install and tech article is soon forthcoming. The pictures are VERY impressive.... bolton wheel travel out the WAZOO!

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 09:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

hey glenn, what year springs did you use from the cj? did yall mix the leafs with zuk leafs or stock cj spring packs? how many springs in a pack? got any pics you can sneak out to us real quick?
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 09:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I run the Samurai rears in the front myself with the Trail Tough missing-links and I remove the overload and make a combination of the rears and front springs to make them extra beefy. I prefer this to any other method of installing the springs since you also get an added 2 inches added to your wheelbase and 2-3 inches to the height and the ride is dramatically improved and the articulation is awesome. I ramped a 85 at the ZukiMelt! I even beat guys with revolvers front and rear and a few guys with coils. I also run the CJ front springs in the rear and have a bolt-on spring hanger I sell which is used to relocate them so the wheels stay centered in the rear wheel wells. If the axle is too far back the shocks get crushed against the gas tank and if it's too far forward the tires hit the fenderwell at full compression. Canyon State Components (CSC) also sells a rear spring hanger that relocates the CJ's or YJ's to the rear for $130. Kinda pricey, but the thing is indestructable. With my hangers or theirs the M-links or 2 inch longer shackles work in the rear and it really is completely bolt-on. This is the least expensive way to get alot of articulation and a Cadillac ride!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-496713-melt9.JPG (24.4 KB, 5 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 09:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

sweet pic man. thanks.
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 09:52 PM

One thought on spring swaps,if you were to use rear Samurai springs on both ends of your rig you could carry one spare spring
on the trail and have both ends covered for a broken leaf.

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode