Need Help with springs and some Engine problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Need Help with springs and some Engine problems

Hi,

Just bought a 1987 zuki and now its time to fix it up. Spoke with Calmini about their Spring Over bolt on kit. I am now to sami's and have never riddin in one with a lift. Are the springs sold at Calmini better then the Old Man Emu springs? I was told the springs sold at Calmini are just as good it not better then the Old Man Emu's and that OME are over rated and not that good when it comes to sami's. Could really use the input of those on the list that have experience with one or both manufactures. I really want a good ride that also serves well on the trail.

Also have a question with the motor. It runs great with no problems as long as the lights are on. As soon as you turn the lights off and come to a stop the motor dies. I knew this before I bought the rig. Only paid 400USD for it so I'm not out a bunch of cash. Really clean little rig with a new top. I know the guy could have sold it for more then he was asking. I see a lot of junkers going for 700 to 900 in my area. This one looks and drives like those I see for over 2K. Any could use some help with this problem. Is it a common one for the sami. I thought it might just be the voltage regulator. Let me know.
Any place I can buy some good front fenders for an 87?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 08:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Need Help with springs and some Engine problems

***I was told the springs sold at Calmini are just as good it not better then the Old Man Emu's and that OME are over rated....***

well, maybe over rated, but in my honest opinion, i would take one set of O.M.E. springs to 2 sets of calminis. there are some who will dissagree im sure, but there are a ton of folks that will agree with me. if you want a nice ride, if you put stock rear springs up front and cj springs in the rear, they say its a great ride. i personally run YJ springs in my junker, but its a very expensive kit when you can actually get the kit shipped to you. not the vendors fault, dont knwo the details, but stems from the manufacturer i believe.

on the running problem, you got me stumped man. i have no clue on that one.
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 08:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've heard the O.M.E are better. Another spring you may want to check is the BDS set. I know a guy who runs'em and loves'em. I run the calmini springs and don't have any complaints. As for the light thing. Will it start with the lights off? I've heard of bad grounds doing weird things but that's a stretch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 09:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

This sounds familiar!

There is a component on the carburetor that, when told to by the ECM (computer), will idle up your engine when electrical things are turned on.

The two main components of the system are the Idle-Up Acutator (rarely seen in the Haynes manual...) and the TWSV (Three-Way Solenoid Valve). The TWSV is an electrical device that is controlled by the ECM which sends it a signal whenever you turn on the lights, Rear Defogger, Heater Fan and possibly the AC (if equipped).

This TWSV gadget is located in a snap-backet on the firewall side of the carb on the drivers side end of the bracket. It should have two vacuum hoses running out of it -- one going to the idle-up acutator. The other goes somewhere else...

Either the hoses are shot, the TWSV isn't working or the acutator is not working.

You can

A) trace down the bad component & fix/replace it OR you can

B) simply adjust the Idle up by turning the Idle adjust screw (haynes manual at the public library) while idling with lights on so the idle is high enough when you turn the electrical stuff off and the engine still runs.

A) is better but B) will also work.

Ackerdackerly

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

What does the TWSV look like and are there any other items it has hoses attached to? Like the EGRVM....is it attached to that. If the TWSV is bad were can I buy another? I also need a speedo gear so my speedometer works. The cable is ok... just need the item it attaches to so I know what speed I am going...

thanks

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 04:32 PM
Alfie

I have my Zuk set to idle at about 4-500 rpm.(Great off rd and on down hills) and if I need more i turn on the fan or rear demister, gives me about 1000 -1200 rpm;. So just adjust the screw on the solenoid thingy on the carb. Thassit.
O.M.E. springs are great, can't comment on any others apart from stock, and they suck. Talk to your local outfitter.
HTH
Alfie.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 02:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Calmini Springs SUCK! IMO.

Unless you are not going to go off road.

I had my first broken second leaf after a couple a times of light off roading 6 months after I got Calminis 5" lift.

I also had tire rubbing problems with my Sport King 31X1050X15 tires.

They changed their spring packs later because they had a lot of pissed off people. But refused to replace (at least in my case) my springs so my tires wouldnt rub.

Their answer was that my 31 inch tires where taller than others LOL! Well they werent taller than 31 inches so what does that tell you.

Anyway , I called them and they told me to get a new spring in the fastest amount of time was to buy a new one from them on my credit card. Then send the old one back so they could inspect it and refund my money. So like a dummy I did. It took them like 5 months after constant calls from me to get my money back.

Well the other side cracked after about a year same leaf in the pack. I called again but they wouldnt replace it so I went with a Wrangler Lift of my own design.

Also the Calmini 5" lift wears oblong holes in their front spring hangers and also on your Samurais front rear spring hangers.

When I was at the Rubicon last year I saw 3 Samurais with bend Calmini springs. They were so bad they couldnt leave until they got new ones back on their rigs. Those werent covered under warranty because they were used on a spring over lift.

Those guys claimed they told Calmini when they bought them they were going to use them on a spring over and nothing was said about not being covered on a spring over.

I think Calminis warranty was pretty much unclear when I bought my lift from them too.

I cant tell you of how many stories there are of Samurai owners around here in Arizona with broken Calmini springs.

I would stay away from them if you are really are going to off road your rig.

Its cheaper and no problems if you go with a CJ rear and rear Samurai spring to the front lift or a Wrangler lift. Ive seen few problems with these lifts and they are a lot cheaper so you can afford to buy another if they do malfunction on you.

The going price here in Arizona on these Jeep springs is from free to $30 a pack. Not bad IMO!

Moose

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

WoW!.. Well I hate it when a company screws over their customers. I had similar experience with a certain Land Cruiser company man-i-fro...hehe...i think those in the Cruiser market know the correct spelling for this piece of #%&* company. I will never buy anything from them again. They sold me the wrong kit and refused to take it back. Really pissed me off. Hope this language doesnt get me canned from the list. Anyway I was pretty PO'd about the whole thing.

So I am going with the Old Man Emu springs. Calmini told me their springs where better then the OME springs...then the guy took a step back and then said he had never used OME springs and then said he felt his springs were superior quality and would give me the ride I was looking for and that the OME springs were over rated and did not give you anything but a name. He also said they were an over sea exotic spring and that is the only reason they are sold in the USA. Not in those words but that was the over all message.

So I am going with the OME springs. What about the Calmini Shackle Reversal kit. Should I use it or stay with the OME 2.5 inch lift and the Revolver shackle front and rear? I'm not looking to be lifted to the sky I just want to be able to go places and have a good ride when on the road.

thanks

post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 10:38 AM
Keyboard Implanted

based on the folks i have talked to in the past who have OME springs, you will be very satisfied. understand about that cruiser outlet. used to have a fj40 till i i gots me a gooood proctologist n sold it to my big bro n got BACK into zuks. cruisers are nice, but garsh, their expensive. on the s/r, well, that can get to be a hot topic on here. do a search is the best thing so we dont all get carried away. for me, depends on the use of the rig. if you go with OME n foldin shackles, dont see any use in the world for a s/r. revolvers get XPENSIVE, dont know that they are worth the xtra $$$$. check out the breeze xpander shackles that tim tacket sells or the missing links that rro, trail tough, and pw sells. sure theres more out there sellin them, but those come to mind first.
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 12:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

First, best thing you can buy right now is:

86-88 OEM Zuk Samurai Service manual... value $1000s plus

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode