Should I put the locker in the front or rear axle? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Should I put the locker in the front or rear axle?

Last night I ordered my SJ410 backing plates, installation kit, and my second Yukon ring & pinion from NCO. I have one EZ Locker and the big question is where to install it. I have heard some say to put it in the front, some in the rear. I have several thoughts concerning the installation and here are some of the ideas/options that I have come up with. I have been leaning towards the first option, however I have been very tempted with the second option too.

1. Install the locker in the rear, open differential in the front. I would have the option of purchasing a second locker for the front later.

2. Install the locker in the front and weld the rear differential.

3. Someone has suggested that I install the locker in the rear and weld the front differential.

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions with any of these options/ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 10:27 AM

Re: Should I put the locker in the front or rear axle?

I hear if you weld your front you'll end up making a quarter mile car. People have told me that it's near impossible to turn the wheels once the front diff has been welded. From what I've gotten on here and from others is that if you are going to do the welded approach then weld the back and put the locker up front. I'm not sold on welding up the rear though... If I were you I'd put the locker up front and leave the rear open for now. This way you still have some road manners since the road is all your Sami sees anyway[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Don't flame me; I'm just teasin'.

How's your daughter's softball championship coming along? I haven't heard much about it lately.

AARRRRRRRG! 1987 Red JX 'vert, 4.5 BREEZE SPOA, SJ410 T-case (not sure how I like it), 29 Super Swampers (31 BFG M/T knock offs - eventually) AARRRRRRRG!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 10:39 AM
Keyboard Implanted

it all comes down to the use of the rig man. if its a trail only rig and will have power steering. id say weld rear n lock the front. if its a double duty rig, locker in rear if you must have a locker. my double duty rig will not have a locker cause i dont like the way they handle. might get fancy shmancy one of these years n go with a arb in the rear. but not anytime soon. thats why im building a trail rig with 38s. gonna be locked up in the rear, possibly the front too. locked or welded front will be fun to turn. 1 point turns turn into 10[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] point turns. well, maybe not 10, but it makes it more points. here is my opinions...

1. if its a double duty rig, and you must have a locker, go for it. you can weld it n save money but wear tires lil more.
2. if its a trail rig only and you would prefer both ends closed up for traction, weld rear n lock front. if $$ is tight, just weld up both.

remember though, when weldin it up, if something ever gives, your lookin at more parts to fix it cause weldin it is perminent.
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]just weld it[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]i got plenty of extra side gears n axles[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]that i can end up sellin ya[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img].... go ahead, i need some of that green baby!!!!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 10:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know from experience but from my many years of being around offraoding (many other trucks) welded diffs cost more money in the long run. After breaking stuff and replacing chunck you could have bought a lock and not had the carnage. .02

Jason

I Work to Wheel, because I wheel, I work.
http://www.geocities.com/zuk_tonka/zuk.html
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 10:47 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Should I put the locker in the front or rear a

Okay here is my 2 cents.
Question how much do you really use it offroad?
not much ,daily drive= put in front. leave rear open or ARB it.

I am locked front and rear, And I daily drive it except in winter, Lockers and Newengland winter don't mix. (From 0-4"
of snow they SUCK. Over 4" they work well. This is onroad BTW. If the road is off camber and it is slippery you will slide off the road real easy)

That said, if you run offroad alot the locker should go in back first, then buy a winch and then Power steering and then the front locker. DO NOT WELD THE FRONT!! you will be unable to turn offroad, Unless you unlock a hub. If you must do a lincoln locker do it to the back and put the locker up front.

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 10:53 AM
Can't Get Enough

Put the locker in the rear and leave the front open. I'd only use a locker in the front if you have power steering and use it on the trail only. Next time you're on a trail ride, see if you can drive someone's rig with a locked front, then you'll know what I mean. On these short wheel-based Sami's, you don't really need both ends locked like you do on a larger rig - but as BillyBob said: depends on how you'll be driving it.

Scott Trester '88.5 Suzuki Samurai
http://RockPile4x4.tripod.com/Scott.html
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 10:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

check this out.
http://www.alloffroad.com/issue/2000...con_locker.htm

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 11:07 AM

We too started with a locker in the rear, and that seemed to help alot getting thru stuff off road that we weren't able to get thru easily before we had it. Now we have a locker up front as well but no power steering just yet. and let me tell you...you get a hell of a work out trying to turn your steering wheel. We have 33inch BGF MTA's and forget about turning easily.. Ask Billy BOB.. he had to help me four hand the steering wheel to get my tires to move! so i am saying lock the rear...open diff in front UNTIL you get power steering. my $.02
Rae

Sooner or Later you will be shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look just right.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I am not getting the responses I was really looking for. Maybe I put too many options in my original post. I am getting too many responses concerning the pros/cons of welded diffs. What I should have really asked is...

If you had only one locker, where would you put it, front or rear?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 11:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

REAR.

Why should I put a locker in the rear axle before the front? (opinion.) Don Schultz
There are a couple of compelling reasons for installing your first locking type differential in the rear axle first: 1) Much of a vehicle's weight transfers to the rear wheels when driving up steep hills. This places most of the burden for climbing traction on the rear wheels. The shorter the wheel base, the more pronounced the effect. Under extreme conditions you can't afford to lose any traction on a back tire, even in 4wd. A good driver, with a suitably equipped 2wd and locking rear axle, can go places thought only accessible by 4wd. 2) If you are like most recreational 4x4 drivers, you spend more time in 2wd on the street than in 4wd off-road. With a locker in the rear your vehicle benefits from the added traction in both on and off-road service.

Note: Please don't misunderstand. I like and own front wheel drive vehicles but... there's a myth floating around that front wheel drive vehicles climb better than rear wheel drive vehicles. This is only because the rear wheel drive vehicles that were tested lacked positive traction (a locker) to both wheels. The same laws of physics apply to towing. That's one reason why rear wheel drive vehicles in general are used to pull heavier loads than front wheel drives. Bottom line for 4x4'ers... two lockers are better than one, but if you must choose, stick it in your rear!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode