tranny woes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

tranny woes

took my zook to a transmission shop this weekend to get an estimate on fixing the tranny... we go for a drive and the first thing he tells me is that the clutch is getting ready to go out (DOH!)... we get back and he drains the oil and looks at it and says it needs new bearings and synchros and all that jazz... good thing is is that the gears appear to be fine, bad news is is that to get the tranny rebuilt, new clutch, install new clutch, resurface fly wheel... 1200 bucks best case scenario! OUCH!

i sure hope my tranny doesnt go out any time soon, theres no way i can afford that kind of money.... ive called the junk yards around here (austin texas) and none of them have a transmission for the zook, so right now im out of luck i guess...

anyone have any ideas?

Steve [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'88 Suzuki Samurai
'99 Toyota Tacoma (Tow Vehicle)
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 12:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: tranny woes

I know where to get a kit for your tranny the same one that online vendors sell w/syncros for the low cost $95.00. You can rebuild it your self if you feel you can do it or have it done. the clutch is around $120 including the resurfaced flywheel, pilot bearing, adn throwout. You should do that your self anyway. So my sugestion is to buy the part your self, pull the trans and take it to get rebuilt. install new clutch while trans is in shop and reinstall your trans yor self. That should save you a grip. Or you can e-mail me offline and I will give you a phone numbeer to a guy in alabama who has rebuilt trannies for 225 (I think) for sure less that 300 and have it shipped. That should still be cheaper than the above.

Jason

[email protected]

I Work to Wheel, because I wheel, I work.
http://www.geocities.com/zuk_tonka/zuk.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 01:47 PM
Can't Get Enough

The wrecking yard below in Killen, TX shows they have a transmission for $250. I don't know how close that is to you, but it should be in driving distance. I have seen stock OEM clutch kits with pilot and throwout bearing included advertised for a little over $100.

1987 Suzuki Samurai Transmission $250 #1117 B & T Salvage 1-254-699-1951 USA-TX

Email: [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

i dont want to mess with rebuilding the tranny myself, but i wouldnt mind yanking it off and taking it somewhere... i could probably handle the clutch myself too, but i dont like working underneath that thing lying on the ground in the middle of the yard.... unfortunatly the only place i have to work on my zook is in the yard at our place in the country (either that or the very fine dirt that makes up the garage floor) and i dont want to take on a job that big out there... the closest auto parts store is 13 miles, and i dont think they know what a suzuki is (they can order parts, but sometimes i cant wait a week for them to show up)...

so i guess im just stuck right now

'88 Suzuki Samurai
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 04:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Steve, have you checked the Zook vendors for a price?

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

yeah, cheapest ive found is 395 from trailtough, followed by 450 from dave in arizona, followed by 565 from petroworks.... this will be the way to go if i HAVE to, but i would still rather find a cheaper tranny... but buying a used tranny can be dicey, thats why i want a CHEAP one.

'88 Suzuki Samurai
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 05:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Go with the TT tranny. Get a cheap Sachs clutch while yer at it. Bring the flywheel to be resurfaced. Compared to the $1200, this is the far cheaper (and reliable) way to go. Yeah, it will suck wrenchin' in the dirt, but you'll feel better knowing that it's a rebuilt tranny, and not a used one.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode