Dual T-cases - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2001, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Dual T-cases

I am now just about done my dual t case thing. Ive been working on this for approximatley 2.5 days. I have them both mounted in my zuk, there hooked up to the tranny, i just goto make a rear tranny mount, cut a hole for the shifter, fill them with oil and ill be done and ready to crawl. Does anyone know if thoes guys with the duaal cases(the green caged black zuk with 38's or the blue one with the flip front end) were using the stock rear drive shaft? The tcase was moved back a bit, as of now i dont know if ill be able to use my stock rear driveshaft, it could be too long.. Also can this setup be used on the street or highway? Brent, it is a ton of work, more than youd want to do probably. I had to get a spare frame, cut the cross member out on that, put a tranny and engine in the frame, mount everyting in there, do a ton of measurements.. And i still had to cut parts of the body off to get it in there. I also had to cut part of the stock tcase mounting arms off the frame.. Its a big job.. I goto finish this, find somone to tow (or maybe drive) my zuk for august long, put my front locker in, clean my carb then ill be set for rennie.
I didnt take any pix during this whole thing. Does anyone have more pix of thoes 2 trucks with the dual cases? (pix of the cases)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2001, 10:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Dual T-cases

i tried to get some shots, but they had it all covered up so nobody could copy it or something. they are gonna sell a kit to install a second case.i was thinking of doing dual cases too but it sounds like a real P.I.T.A.!!

-Mitch
86 samurai
33"BFG, YJ rear 3"rears up front w/breeze droplinks, breeze crossover steering & track bar, DT shocks, locked f&R, 4.16 case, weber, header
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2001, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

The blue one had skidplates covoring the t-cases but the green one didnt have anything on it.. I didnt like how the blue one was setup anyway, they didnt use a stock front driveshaft, it had 3 ujoints i think. The green one, i belive it used stock driveshafts, and the mounting looked simple enough.
The owneer of the blue one said he was going to sell the kits. Does anyone know their e-mail addresses?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 01:41 AM

So you used 2 Samurai t-cases ? did you know if you used a old LJ80 t-case for the front one it is a much easier swap because it is so much smaller and it's also a steel case. I think you can use your stock driveshaft too and it's lower gears than than a Samurai

Dedicated to the restoration and care of the North American Rhino
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 06:29 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Here are a couple of pictures of that creature LJ-80+Sammy cases.........

DannyL

http://www.partszuki.homestead.com
Attached Files
File Type: 28-491490-2Xcase (29.3 KB, 9 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 06:42 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Another

DannyL

http://www.partszuki.homestead.com
Attached Files
File Type: 28-491492-2Xcase1 (30.0 KB, 10 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 09:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Anton:

I shot video of the blue flipnose's underside... all blocked by plates!

I suspect it is an LJ-80/SJ-413 combination as pictured by DannyL. There was too much rear driveshaft and the shifters looked just about right for the LJ-80 setup.

Ackerdackerly

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 11:57 AM
I Do This For The Glory

My question is how do you get the alignment correct. It seems that if they are just bolted together, and not aligned exactly right, you'll get premature wear on the bearings which will cause their premature failure. I have some ideas as well, but haven't gone any further due to lack of funds, and if I can't even get the damn thing to run right, there's no point in a lower crawl ratio.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Danny are thoes your pictures or somone elses truck? I never seen pix of the LJ tcases, looks like it would work much better.. I dont know about the blue one but im pretty sure on the green one they used both samurai transfer cases. Do you know what the LJ tcases have for gearing?

JEEPN, i connected mine with a driveshaft spacer, so shouldnt that align it good enough if it works fine on you driveshafts?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 03:39 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I wouldn't think that'd be good enough, if you have them connected (bolted) together, then maybe it would work. If they move independently of one another, it seems like you'd be putting uneven pressure on the bearings, which are designed for rotational movement. Needle bearings can handle angular loads to a certain extent, but I'd be concerned about just bolting the two together using the flanges.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but that's my take on it.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode