knocking engine - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

knocking engine

here is my recent encounter described as accurately and detailed as possible;

on my way home the other day I thought I'd open up the new engine ,had it cruisin at 120 km all of a sudden it started to lose power. I noticed the temp started to go up and the oil light flickering when turning into the off ramp. As I came to the stop sign the engine went from a quiet to loud knocking at idle. On my drive back to my garage I noticed the knocking to be on and off, and at times the oil light went off. under the hood I noticed the knock was quieter with an occasional loud knock but in no particular pattern, the knock came low in the engine. the engine was also running smooth and otherwise quiet. today I was ready to yank the engine when I gave it another start, the knock was there but quickly went away. oil light stayed off, temp stayed level. and the motor ran very smoothly. the motor is a 1600 lower block with a modified samurai top end, isky cam, thorley, pony carb.

did I just trip? what happened?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 11:40 PM

Re: knocking engine

Hi Mike,

How mutch miles (or Kilos did you have on your new engine before oppening it up...?) Was it broken in yet...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Normaly, when its slow knocking its the Bottom-end. If its a fast Knock, its in the head.

Have you done a compression test yet? Thats the first thing you should do now, to know what is going on in your engine...

If you didn't lose compression but hear the knock, it might be a rod bearing or crank bearing which lacked oil when you stepped on it.

If you lost compression...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] its either the top-end (valves) or Its the piston rings or piston themselves...

I'm not an expert mecanic on this though...the guys will be happy to correct me if I'm wrong...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

By the way Mike, if you need help, drop me an email.
Are you coming to the ride this weekend?

See ya!

Yannick
1987 stock hardtop Zuk
http://lukinfomud.homestead.com/frontpage.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2001, 09:43 AM

Re: knocking engine

Might want to check the front crank/timing belt pulley. They’ve been known to come loose but, what you describe sounds like a lower end problem. Can you check your oil pressure with a gauge? I think it only takes about 5 psi to keep the idiot light off.

Hopin’ for better news. Bobcat.

<font color=red>I Feel more like I do NOW . . </font color=red><font color=green>. . Then I did awhile AGO!</font color=green> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode