Anyone running a hybrid FRONT axle? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Anyone running a hybrid FRONT axle?

I heard that TT has a hybrid FRONT axle, using the rear kick chuck. Anyone seen or run this?

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 03:30 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Anyone running a hybrid FRONT axle?

How can you do that, the axles are different splines and different diameters.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 03:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Well I am looking at a dana 30/zook front axle. Making it up myself that is. Jeepn - do you have a dana 30 front around?
Off set perferred but not required. I intend to use the knuckles and axles shortend and resplined to the rear zook sidegears. To say the least I killed my first Birfeld at the melt..

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 04:01 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Pretty sure I have one laying around. I'm using the one from the Scrambler in the front of mine, already has 3.73's. I think I have another, I'll check as I'm headed out the door to the house in Waldoboro for the weekend.

They are all offset to the correct side, only the YJ and TJ D30's aren't, but I have none of the newer junk. They are even within 1" of being the right width as well, at least the narrow tracks are. If I don't have one laying around, I'm pretty sure I know where I can get my hands on some, hopefully cheap.

If you're going that route, what about narrowing a D44 and using it? Too much underhang?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 04:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Well you know me Mark, Cheap cheap... I am allready set-up
with the 4.62 gears and locker up front. So I will be re-using them, and gaining the larger stronger axles and easier to maintain u-joints of the dana. This will be an on-going project that I will make up on a spare front diff
carcass that I can swap in when we go to coils up front this winter. (YJ in rear) Do you know the diameter the D30's axles are? I know I will have to have them re-splined, there is a shop in palmer Ma that is supposed to be about 60.00
per axle.

Glenn
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 04:19 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Yes, they are 27 spline, 1.13" diameter, with a 7 1/8" ring gear. How large is the Tracker gear, 7 1/2"?

You'll probably want the 1977 to 1980 D30, it has larger brakes and stronger 6 bolt hubs.

With a coil setup you may want to go YJ D30, they have a reverse cut and a higher pinion. Also harder to find though.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 04:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

All I want is the knuckles and hubs and axles. I don't care about the center chunk at all. Disk brakes a must. I will be making the coil set-up custom anyway. I will have the
dana axles turned and re-splined to fit the rear sami sidegears that I will move up front. (they are larger than the stock front.) thanks for the sizes. I am mostly starting the hunt for the parts now. Once I have them in hand then I can start the real planning. The rear hybred wasn't hard.
the front one will just be more carfull measureing and setting of the angles.

Glenn
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 05:22 PM
Can't Get Enough

Glenn, Please take lots of pictures and notes so others may follow. I am really interested in your project. I would love to drop a set of Toyota axles under my Samurai but unfortunately the Maryland State police are very strict on tires being inside of the wheel wells. An axle close to the stock Samurai length is what I am looking for.

Believe it or not, that's how I got a set of fairly new set of 35" TSL/SX35's on a straight up trade for a set of half bald 31's. The owner of the 35's had them mounted on a Wrangler and was pulled over weekly by the state police. So much that he decided it was not worth the aggravation anymore.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 07:34 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Well as long as I can remember to clean up and take pics I will document it.

Glenn
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2001, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Jeepn,

You will use the larger 26 spline axles in the front. TT has these and Calmini's 4340 are due out soon.

I'll get the exact size of the "crown" or ring gear, but the late model Kicks had a 12 bolt, not 10 like the earlier ones. I imagine the ring is around 8".

As I see it, much larger chunk, larger, stronger axles, and as long as you use Spidertrax Rings or Calmini Cups (reading this Glenn?), then the birfs should be fine.

We trashed an axle at the Melt. The Spidertrax ringed Birf held up find (no cracks) but we twisted the puny 22 spline end right off in the carrier.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode