T-case gear questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

T-case gear questions

After a "friendly" discussion with someone at the melt[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I have gotten myself VERY confused with the gear ratio on my SJ410 T-case I'm putting in my Sami. I'm going to be running 31s in a few weeks (I presently have 29s underneath) and I was wondering if the 410 T-case will help restore my highway driving to a more acceptable speed (IE, over 65mph). I was under the impression that the 410 case will help with top end, the person I "talked" with assured me that my high end would suffer worse than it is now as the gears are actually lower than the stock case and the engine will actually be running at higher RPMs and turning the wheels slower...

I'm now confused to all hell. Can anyone advise me on what to expect when this case goes in? I have a line on a GRS1 for $300.00 which needs bearings but the price is right. If I can sell some parts I'll pick it up and use the 410 case on the wife's Sami.

Thanks in advance for your help. I know the questions about the 410 T-case have been beaten with a stick and this question might seem stupid but I'm not too smart sometimes and gear ratios have always confused me....

AARRRRRRRG! 1987 Red JX 'vert, 4.5 BREEZE SPOA, SJ410 T-case (next week), 29 Super Swampers... more to come.... AARRRRRRRG!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 01:59 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: T-case gear questions

Yes, the 410 x-fer case will restore the top end. It is the baby lobster or something. It has a higher gear raito (example stock: 1:5, 410 x-fer 1:6 fer just an example). With the 29" highway should be ok, thats what I run. I think there is like an 8 or 10% difference in the gears. The 29" make it about 14% off so it would bring the zook closer to the stock gearing configuration. With stock and 31" tires, the revs would be so low in 5th gear you would never go anywhere. The revs have to go higher to gain the speed, and since the hp= touque and rpm, less rpm means lower hp and you dont go over 45 in 5th gear @ 1100rpm ehehheh.. I think the stock rpm @ like 65 is about 3500 or so.. There is a chart on this site that shows the rpm chart in refrence to the gear. Answer, yes it would make driving more like stock. GsrI would be nice though, the low range is nice and low! On the 410 case, low is like your present low vs. the like 4.3:1 on the gsr series of x-fer cases (they change the high range and drastically change the low range, the 410 changes the high a little and the low a little). You should get some more exacting answers later on.. The real ##'s

got zook?
http://www.geocities.com/bik3r
29x10.5x15 SS TSL *SX*, Calmini Header, SPOA, Lights, Dupicolor, Z-bar, Xenon lights, diamond plate rockers, tubes front, rear, & sides!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks...Like I said, it confuses the hell out of me... I'll probably pick up the GRS 1 for $300.00. It's a hell of a deal!

AARRRRRRRG! 1987 Red JX 'vert, 4.5 BREEZE SPOA, SJ410 T-case (next week), 29 Super Swampers... more to come.... AARRRRRRRG!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 09:34 AM
Keyboard Implanted

If you go for the GRS and want to off the 410 case, let me know[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Thanks.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 09:35 AM
Keyboard Implanted

The thing to remember is this, Larger tires= higher gearing,
and thus will lower your RPM's on the highway, SJ410 t-case will lower your gearing thus raising the rpm's back up.
the engine/drivetrain is set-up for a certin RPM range.
a larger engine can handle taller gearing better than our 1.3's but when you go to larger tires you need to re-gear.
(For your 29" tires the 410 t-case will be about right.)
now the GRS-1 style t-case is the cat's meow as you also get a 4.16 -1 reduction in lowrange. really nice. This help?

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 01:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you drop in the 4.16 gearset and have the 410 gears sitting around, we buy core gears from them depending on the year... we also buy stock core gears. Just somethng to keep in mind that might help offset the cost of those used gears you have your eye on.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 02:07 PM

go with the 4.16 transfer case gears -- they work great off road while helping on road with larger tires. another thing you can do other than new r & p's is to find a 88.5 or later tranny -- the 5th gear is lower than yours & makes about the same difference in 5th as the t/c gears do !! good luck!!!

cueball
88 hd-top,1.3with weber, calmini cam,headers & 2" exhaust, jacobs ignition, 3" national spua , 4.16 tc gears, 88.5 5th gear,29x10.50 swamper tsl sx's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode