Nor'Easters - car carrier for Moab? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Nor\'Easters - car carrier for Moab?

I wanted to bring this up at the Melt, but was too overwelmed.

I'm bringing this up now, as now is the time to start planning. I'm going to Moab next spring for Zukfari. I would like to take the Sammy, and not just the GV. Driving it there is out of the question (been there, done that, never again). Flat towing or trailering is also out.

That leaves only Car Carriers. I think the largest carriers can hold 10 cars. I also spoke with a Jeeper who said his club did something like that a few years back and it as about $8000 R/T. Worked out to be less than a grand for each truck.

That's not too bad. When I drove my sammy(pulling my sammy trailer), I used about 450 gallons. Considering the fuel costs, 2 oil changes and the wear & tear on my rig and my sanity (drove 48 hours non-stop, each way), the carrier looks good.

What I'm asking is, are there 9 other Nor'Easters who would be willing to see if this can work and do it? If not, well, I'm going in the GV.

My reasoning for returning? Moab was WAY cool. By far, it was the best four-wheel experience I've ever had ANYWHERE. The hardest terrain, the best trails, the most beautiful backdrop, the most choices, the most fun. I did it once thinking I had to get it out of my system, now all I do is compare every trail ride to Moab. I WANT MORE!!!

One more return trip to Moab for me. Then it's off to the RUBICON! Of course, I fear that the 'Con will exceed my Moab experience and I'll be driving even further for my fix.

Anyone game?

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 03:14 PM

Re: Nor\'Easters - car carrier for Moab?

Well Tim, what can I say... maybe it's time to give up the "Yankee" part of your name and move out west. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

http://suzukisteve.rockcrawler.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 03:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Hmm While I would love to go I don't think I could pull it off for at least another year. Figured out my possible
crawl ratio for the tracker auto/transfer case into my 4.16
t-case and 4.62.. 97.5 to 1 I think there might be some mutiplication for the torque converter. I am now at 70.18 to 1 . the high range should stay the same. so I can stay with 4.62's or go to 5.12's if I never want to drive on the road again.. And If I can find the 1000.00 for tracker t-case gears then I will be inthe 230-1 range.. Ohh I am all aquiver.. (I really shouldn't have done the figureing, as now I want to start on the swap!

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Okay, I called Reliable. They are the top of the heap, so they will be the most pricey. They quoted a price of $5,200 each way. We can put as many car as can fit on a truck, but it has to be under 13'6" total height. That probably won't happen with lifted Zooks. Considering that, at most, 6-7 trucks to a carrier.

That would put it at about $1,500 per truck.

I'm still game.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 03:35 PM
WSB

Tim,

I contacted a few car carrier companies a few months back. They all wanted about a $1000 ONE way from NY to Moab. I figurged a price for driving 2-3 days with stopping to sleep and it was less than $1000 for both ways, considering
the average price for fuel was $1.75 and an average of 15 mpg.
A friend of one of my friends transports vehicles both and forth the florida for a living and I've been trying to contact him about making a trip to Moab
sometime nextyear. I have a few people that might be interested if the price is reasonable.
I definately would love to go back to Moab, even more with my own rig - it something that you can't get out of your system. Sue dosen't like to wheel around here since she's been to Moab.

Wayne

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Smitche - What? And abandoned the most winning baseball team ever? Wheeling is UT is real cool, but box seats at Yankee Stadium for our 4th consecutive Series win will be even cooler.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Glenn,

This might take a couple years just to plan. You will like it there. Just hope you don't get the bug like me.

230:1?!?!?! Geez, how low can you go? That low of a crawl will start to take the fun outta it! Good luck on the swap and let us know how it goes.

Anyone have a 5.12 kick ass end for sale locally/cheap? I mean, real cheap. Don't want to spend too much on something I could screw up.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Wayne -

Cool beans. I figure if the interest is there, and we put our heads together, we should be able to find something that is do-able. I plan on driving the GV still to get out there, but not the Sammy. 3000 miles in A/C, leather and CD is okay, but the Sammy kills. Trust me.

Would you be interested in going if we can do it reasonably? If we can get it down to under $1000 per truck round trip, it would be worth it.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 03:50 PM

Yah, but you could fly back to go to the games, you have to drive or pay up the WAAzooo if you wanna wheel out here. For me (not much of a baseball fan) it would be a no brainer, but to each their own. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

http://suzukisteve.rockcrawler.com
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 03:54 PM
WSB

Tim,

Brad and I have talked about going back to Moab(with our own vehicles).
As far a I know we were thinking possibly next year - later in the fall maybe.

I'll see if I can get ahold of this truck driver guy and talk to him, I was told that he'd probably do for a very resonable price.

Wayne

post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 04:07 PM

damn yankees!
one of these days the astros will lose their playoff clumsyness and finally win the divisional series... then it will all be a domino effect that wont end until the world title is theirs!

go astros!

Steve [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'88 Suzuki Samurai
'99 Toyota Tacoma (Tow Vehicle)
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode