electric fan - one more time - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

electric fan - one more time

got the electric fan and switch today.... wiring has me a little confused though... it says to wire a switch and the thermostat switch in parallel.... does this mean that ill be able to turn the fan on anytime i want, while the thermostat will turn it on when i need it? or does it mean that ill be able to turn the fan off permanently, or let the thermostat take care of it? has anyone else wired a switch in with the thermostat switch like this? should i just breakoff after the fuse to go to both switches and then rejoin after the thermostat switch?

also, how do i set the adjustable thermostat? do i let the engine warm up and then when it runs at the temp i want it to and turn the dial till the fan comes on?

thanks guys, ill keep ya'll updated

Steve [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'88 Suzuki Samurai
'99 Toyota Tacoma (Tow Vehicle)
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 01:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: electric fan - one more time

I have a eletric fan in my ride and i just used the fan,A relay, and a switch, this way I control when the fan is to be used. If you use the thermostat module then you could have the fan trying to run wile in heavy mud or in deep water which will in turn burn the fan motor out. But thats just what i think about it, i don't want to keep having to spend more money replacing fan motors. If you still want to use the module then to set it use a themometer and put it in the top of the rad (cold) and run it till you get to the temp that you want the fan to cycle at( kick on ) and turn the little set screw until the fan triggers. I hope that helps you out. I also found that by just running it the way
I do i keep a more consistant temp.

Manitoba Trail Masters
Brent

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 07:51 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Wiring the switch in parallel the switch will turn the fan on when the temp is too low for the thermostat. You need to put a switch in series ,between the power source and thermostat to be able to shut it off completly. The paralell switch will not allow you to turn the fan power off. If you need a diagram let me know and I'll send you something when I get home. Jim

http://sites.netscape.net/riodiusa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

yeah, i was thinking about that...
i was also thinking of getting a 3 way switch and doing both... wire from battery to switch, and then go from switch to fan (for full time use), and then switch to thermostat to fan (for auto use)... is all this really worth it? i havent ever crossed any deep water, and i cant think of any other time i would want the fan to be manually off (or manually on for that matter)

still got another day to figure this out... im gonna work on it tommorrow night

'88 Suzuki Samurai
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 09:06 AM
Keyboard Implanted

SPDT-single pole, double throw, center off is the type of switch that would be the best. In one position you could use the thermostat, one position on always, center power off. Jim

http://sites.netscape.net/riodiusa
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 09:34 AM

87zuke wrote:

>>SPDT-single pole, double throw, center off is the type of switch that would
>>be the best. In one position you could use the thermostat, one position on
>>always, center power off.

Ditto to this. That's exactly what I've done; three-way rocker switch:
1 position - auto (thermostat operation)
2 position - perman. off
3 position - perman. on

Worked like a charm. As for the kick-in point: get a thermometer that goes up to at least 250F. Cool the engine a little bit so you can open the radiator cap. Now it's a good time to add some coolant :-) Start the engine and let it idle (you can turn on the heater fan or lights so it fast_idles). Put the thermometer inside the radiator neck. When the temperature reaches 200F, turn the adjusting screw on your thermo_switch so the fan goes on. Replace the radiator cap. Enjoy!!

-marker
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

why do i want to wait till the radiator reaches 200 degrees? the temp of the antifreeze will be 180 coming out of the engine right? if my zook is running hot, does that mean that the temp of the fluid going into the engine (coming out of the bottom of the radiator) is over 180? and then does the thermostat stay open all the time?

i think ive been thinking too much about the cooling system lately... im getting confused...

breathe in, breathe out.... at least i got that part right

'88 Suzuki Samurai
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 11:41 AM

Hey Steve, I think you're overheating too.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Jokes aside, let's clear this issue:

the boiling point of the antifreeze is 212F (100Cel. for us, metric people :-).

It starts bubling at about 203F (95C). This is when you want your fan to kick in.

Remember, the cooling system is under pressure, so the boiling point is higher (about 220F (105C)). Therefore 200F (93.3C) is safe in this case - it will not cause any harm.

The OEM thermostat starts to open at about 180-190F (82-88C) and it's fully opened at about 10deg. more - which matches (give or take a few) the 200F point where the electric fan (or fun?? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]) supposed to start..

Hope it helps

-marker
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 11:00 PM

Yeah, the switch bypasses the thermostat. That way if the stat dies or for some reason you want the fan on, you just flip the switch. To set the thermostat, turn it all the way up, let the engine run until it gets up to temp and the water starts flowing, then back it off until the fan starts.

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
Shopping for a Samurai!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 11:05 PM

One more thing: you may want to use a relay so that the thermostat is not switching the full load of the fan motor. Most of those thermostats are only rated at 15 amps or so, and the fan motor draws more than that when it first starts up. I used a 30 amp relay from the fog lights section at autozone.

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
Shopping for a Samurai!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode