Wrangler spring swap worth it? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2001, 10:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wrangler spring swap worth it?

For the past couple of months, the Wrangler spring swap has been the rage. I would like to hear from some people who have done it. Is it as cool as everyone said it would be? What makes a shackle reversal with Jeep springs different from one with Suzuki springs? (for years people have said the Calmini S/R system sucked pretty bad!!!) How far forward are people moving the front end so that the tire doesn't dig into the firewall? How well are the Jeep springs holding up? The sad condition of my suzuki springs (3rd set) is the main reason I want to try something different. Any tips or tricks I should know about before I start making brackets? I have heard that chevy pickup shackles will work for this conversion, any truth to this? I know some people complained about the pinion angle with the store bought kit. FYI... I will also be switching to Toyota axles at the same time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2001, 12:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Wrangler spring swap worth it?

i think its dodge shackles that is used,not chevy but i could be wrong.Everyone i have talked to thats done the YJ kit realy likes the ride and flex that you get out of it.If you have been through three sets of zuk springs sounds like its time to do some type of upgrade be it Yj's or some aftermarket springs.Good luck with what ever you do.

QuadZuki,87 spoa,33"wild countrys
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2001, 02:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I'm in the process of installing them on my rig, so it'll be a bit before I can give you feed back. Yesterday I attended my clubs RockCrawling championship. After watching the Jeeps without S/R bend the front springs because of bad approasch angle and the shackle diggin right in to the rocks, I'm happy that I'm going S/R way......
I'm not buying a kit , but rather building it all from scratch. Only thing I'll need its the front driveshaft.
Tips: I would (will) make the front hangers with some sort of skid plate on them!!!

DannyL
Pony Express

http://www.partszuki.homestead.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2001, 02:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have the YJ kit with toyota axles and i think its an awesome ride, and has the most flex ive ever seen with my own eyes. it flexed more than buggy spring setups a couple weekends ago! I have the front pinion angle up 4* rear at 5* and its fine on and off-road. I think if ya wanna save the springs ya gotta bumpstop them! they have alot of reverse arch in them. i am bumpstopping them to keep the 35s of the fenders. this will offer alot more wheeltravel also due to having a fulcrum point so the opposite wheel drops farther.

build it, break it, then build it better.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2001, 04:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey gotzuk what all did you do to cram those yoters under your zuk??

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2001, 05:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Got

What did you do for drive shafts?

I'm going the Toy axle way and was just wondering......

DannyL
Pony Express

http://www.partszuki.homestead.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2001, 06:19 PM

danny he ordered the shaft from dave , with the kit for the frount . i already asked [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
TW

Home Pagehttp://home.talkcity.com/SparkplugSt/trailwalker1/
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2001, 11:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Danny. i ordered the front shaft with a toy end and a zuk end. I got the shaft back with 2 zuk ends so i drilled out the pinions to accept the zuk shafts. the front had some WICKED vibes. i first thought this was me drilling the holes slightly off. it wasn't. The shafts end was poorly welded! it had major throw in it. the local shop couldn't balance it the way it was. they swapped ends for me and RE welded the badly built shaft. the rear i am having the local shop build me one. tomorrow actually. they are goin to build a shaft with a toy and a zuk flanges. 1310 clearance joints with a new shaft. if it still has vibes they will build a double cardan CV shaft. will let ya know how it works out. and will get P#'s. the rear shaft works ok with a 1/2" spacer and new joints. but when the left rear drops all the way it binds in the joint. haven't busted a joint yet! BUT.... my new shaft is being built cuz its just a matter of time.

build it, break it, then build it better.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2001, 12:30 AM
Pooh-Bah

I like mine alot, I have the CSC front kit and my own rear set up, and it works great great flex, smooth ride.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode