The Zuk is DEAD! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

The Zuk is DEAD!

Yep, confirmed and toe tagged by the mechanic this afternoon. The carb died. There will be a cremation ceremony immediately following it's execution by firing squad (you people probably think I'm kidding, I'll post pics).

Riddle me this Batman, what kind of A-holes developed this carb, who signed off on it, what moron decided it should go into production, and exactly what were they smoking at the time?

I have never seen more hoses and tubes, it makes a dialysis machine have wet dreams.

Sorry for the rant, here is the update.

I towed the Zuk down to the local garage (very reputable and decent people, I trust them completely and have had them do a lot of work), and had them look at it. They came to the same conclusion, there is a problem. It's getting plenty of fuel and plenty of spark. It would run fine, then die, then run fine after sitting, then run rough, then smooth out, then die, yadda, yadda, yadda. It means only one thing, CARB! They also said you don't work on these, you replace them, to the tune of $800. Nope. I have a spare, in a running Zuk in my barn, so the wife and I took a 220 mile road trip to go get it. We get all the way down there and have a look see (it's an '86 and mine is an '88.5), to make sure it's the same. Yep, I took a TON of pictures on the digital and they look identical. So I start pulling hoses off, and get to where I can see the bolts. Yep, 12mm should do, and there are only 4 of them. However, only 1 (ONE) that I can get to with the wrench. I tried a few different wrenches but none of them fit enough to get a bite on the nuts and no sockets will work. After about 20 minutes, I gave up, glad the guy that developed that POS wasn't there because otherwise I'd be hauled away for murder. We did get a TJ swaybar link for a guy on the Jeep BBS, so it wasn't a complete loss, also had some decent Chinese food for dinner.

So how do you get it off? And don't tell me, "you just unbolt it", because that ain't happening. The Haynes manual just says "take it to the dealer", of which there are 3 in the whole state, none near me, and 2 of which I know hired morons (we used to own a Sidekick).

With this stock POS, I'd rather not put the same back on, so I'm going to look for a Pony, something that's rebuildable, tuneable (imagine!), and that won't die all at once and become disposable.

I have been getting the Zuk ready for about 2 weeks now, working EVERY DAY until 1 or 2 AM, and starting directly after work. I have in the hundreds of hours into this thing to date, and maybe 230 road miles, 220 of which were driving it home. I also have numerous cuts, bruises, loss of blood, burns, bumps, and scrapes, but I guess they are par for the course working on any vehicle. At least I wasn't electrocuted, that's a first.

I'm willing to give it one more shot, then it's off to the classifieds and out of Zookdom for me. I've been able to run vehicles home using a soda bottle filled with fuel, taped to the hood, with a vacuum hose dripping into the carb, and there is nothing I can do with this thing, kinda frustrating and not very encouraging.

I have been counting the "problems" on Zuks, let's see if I have this right.

Carb sucks...learned that one recently,
Shifter sheet in tranny goes,
Transfer mount bends,
Birfields break in front axle,
Long rear axle snaps or twists the splines

Hmmm, that's about every major food group from what I see. Good for maintaining healthy teeth and bones, but not so good for trying to wheel a vehicle. I know they have their good points, which is why I'm not giving up on them yet. Maybe it's because I haven't built a repor with it yet, like I have with the Jeep. It isn't used to me and I'm not used to it.

Well, 1:30AM on the east coast and we got home 1/2 hour ago. I'll check back in the morning, then I'm off to RIDE with other people for the run/camping trip I'm attending. I'm on vacation after that, from work and the Zuk, which was getting a lot like work.

When I get back I think I'll concentrate on the Scrambler, I could have had it done by now and maybe it'll give the Zuk some motivation to stay running.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 02:20 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: The Zuk is DEAD!

I thought it sounded like carb or sensor problems. The carb can be unbolted with a 12mm combination open end/box end wrench with a little offset and a lot of patience. The nut on the back driver's side is really hard to get to, but with enough dexterity and patience it can be reached. If the carb from the parts rig works it should be a simple fix. If the sensors or ECM are also a part of the problem then it's time to consider a completely mechanical carb. If the 1st Zuk I owned ran like the one I had carb problems with, I probably would have lost faith too. But I had owned one with a reliable stock carb for years and I still to this day have never had a single problem with it. Like I have said in the past though, the stock carbs and sensors either work well or they don't. If they don't it's time for a conversion of some type.

[email protected]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 06:38 AM

my first zuke had a stock carb- ran great for a year
then got sick- bought a carb kit but did not put in in
after looking at maze of hoses and emission hook-ups
switched to a nissan carb never did figure out if it was
the carb or ecm causing problems-now 1st time i have any
carb problems with a stock carb its goodbye your the
weakest link i put on a adjustable carb-weber mostly
oldzuki

88 spoa samurai/weber/isky
97 sidekick sport
those that can samurai those that can't ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 07:50 AM
Can't Get Enough

Mark - <font color=blue>Please step away from the Samurai and count to ten...

Now relax and breathe in...</font color=blue>
I had the same problem getting the carburetor off for the first problem but after you get it off for the first time you can have it on/off in about 10 minutes. I know what you are talking about with the vacuum lines. I think Japan had a surplus of vacuum lines, diaphragms, springs, gidget & gadgets, etc. Plus, I think someone should investigate Suzuki for child labor violations... no grown man could have installed that carburetor, only a child's hand can get to those nuts!
<font color=blue>Breathe out...

Breathe in...</font color=blue>
I had a lot of frustration/aggravation when I first bought my Samurai too. When I first brought it home it needed tires. Simple enough, jack up vehicle, take wheels off, mount new tires, and put wheels back on - NOT! As soon as I started turning the front lug nuts the studs started turning on both front wheels. It took me several posts/hours/busted knuckles to finally get them off.
<font color=blue>Breathe out...

Breathe in...</font color=blue>
Now go give it one more try and if that doesn't do it, please post pictures of the carnage!
<font color=blue>Breathe outů</font color=blue>

87' Samurai sitting on jack stands in driveway under constructionů stay tuned.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 08:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Marc

I'll check to see if I have a Pony in the garage, if not I'lltry to get one for you ASAP. I have the kit here for it, you can install in no time. I could sent on on Monday if that not to late.

As for those amazing bolts. Take a cheap key and start grinding the side of it off I made one up and it takes 5 minutes to change a carb.....

I feel bad about your luck and can certainly feel your anger. I told the wife I only want to work on one thing from now on...The Zuk, all the rest someone else will fix. I sent the Toyota off the have the front end done and bit the bullet on the 250 labour bill! This is a first for me...... I hate having some one else play with my things. But lately I'm just tired of working on everything I touch. Lawn tractor, three wheeler, hand mower, Cherokee, dishwasher......
If i need it, it breaks.......
Eventually it's got to stop right????

LOL
Have a GOOD day anyway.

DannyL
Pony Express

http://www.partszuki.homestead.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 09:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My experence is that stock carbs run well when running. As soon as they go bad or give you problems get rid of them. I have a Pony and works great an has 1 vac line and 1 wire.However it does bog out on steep down hills. Good luck and keep the faith.

Don't force it, just get a bigger hammer.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 11:05 AM
Veteran

hey jeepn take the carb off and clean it , have had that prob a few times it only takes about half hour to remove. your idle jet is dirty that is all.

SIZE DOES MATTER 85 LWB 31'S LINCOLN LOCKER RR,CTR FORCE DUAL FRICTION, CUSTOM BUMBERS & GAS TANK PLATE, SPOA BOBBED 6 INCHES CUSTOM SPORT CAP
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

Well, I'm headed to EMWF and then to camp for a week, so I'll see you all then. Thanks for the input.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 11:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

WEBER WEBER WEBER WEBER!!!!! 3 hoses and it's done. Plug all that other crap up and listen to the sweet sound of air flow.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 84 cj7 Laredo [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Superior 1 piece, more to come.....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 01:29 PM
Can't Get Enough

MIKUNI MIKUNI MIKUNI MIKUNI!!!!! 1 hoses and it's done. Plug all that other crap up and listen to the sweet sound of air flow... it's the sound of vacuum you create when taking large amounts of cash out of your wallet at once!

Sorry - I couldn't resist! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

87' Samurai sitting on jack stands in driveway under constructionů stay tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode