More Lift ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

More Lift ?

Getting a set of 31's this weekend. I have a 2" S/R with stock springs. I'm assuming that these tires will not fit as I stand now. I have 235's and as she stands I have about 4" of clearance to the top of the wheel well and about 2.5 to the rear of it. My question should I do a 1" or 2" body lift or is there another way I can make these fit? The Boss(Wife) probably is not going to go for springs. Any suggestions ? Thanks. Jim

http://sites.netscape.net/riodiusa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 09:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: More Lift ?

read and article on cuttin the fenders out!! Looks pretty cool but I do not know if that would save you from faulting??!! otherwise I would say go with the body lift or the both! unless you wanna put some doe in and SPUA or SPOA lift it!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 07:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The shackle reverse makes fitting those tires VERY difficult with stock springs. The problem point is the rear of the front fenderwells. Even with their 5" combo kit, most guys were having real problems with fitting the 31's that Calmini advertised would fit.

Forget the 1" or 2" lifts, for proper clearance on those tires, you should be looking at a 3" body lift.

http:// www.rocky-road.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 07:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Agreed, the prob is the rear front corners. I ran the 2" s/r with 31's. I did two things to lengthen the life of my treads:

I sawed the metal bracket that the flares bolt to right at the corner, notching about an inch deep into the body and about 3 1/3 inches lengthwise off. I then came back and cut/sanded the flare to match.

I noticed ofcourse that this threw off the geometry of the body line on the flares, and being the type of person that likes to keep a somewhat stock appearance on my Zuki, I just took sand paper and followed the new line I made on the corner all the way around the flare until the style line looked proper. Instead of having a perfect half circle shaped flare, I ended up with a half oval shape. My 31's only grabbed the corners at full compression afterwards. The major prob at that point was losing articulation from stuffing one tire into the body at less than full compression. So I started working on the 2" bod lift I'm currently cramming between the frame and body now. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Also, I've noticed most every Sam I see on stock springs has somewhat of a front end droop. I remedied this by adding 1" bushings to the front 2 and 1/2 " at the middle 4 lift points. This gave the Zuki a nice level setting and made the body lines look natural again. This also helps keep those tires off the corners of the flares.

A little wood screw in the corner where the flare meets the body molding kept the two pieces snug together for cosmetic appearance.

Also, there is a seam under the wheel well that you should take the BFH to, otherwise it will bite into the tire on the trail.

Neal the Zukiguy

"If it is '...a Jeep thing...' I hope it isn't contagious"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Zukiguy, You had nothing but the 2" S/R? I thought that the rear of the front wheel well was going to be the problem.Thanks. Jim

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 08:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, at that point the only lift I had was the 2" from the Calmini s/r and the added 1" on the front from the body lift gained from correcting the drooping front end. With the 2 " bod lift I am adding all the way around the Zuki, it will still rub insde the fenders, but only at full compression. With a 2" bod lift, 2" s/r, and 3" springs, the tires shouldn't rub at all if my math is correct. I don't have the 3" springs yet, I'm still running stock and trying to figure out how I'm doing my 4 coil set up, so I prolly will never do the 3" springs. I will post some pics of my Zuki witht he 1" lift in the front and the 2" s/r with 31's so you can sorta see how it worked. Give me a day or two to get them scanned.

Neal the Zukiguy

"If it is '...a Jeep thing...' I hope it isn't contagious"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I'd appreciate the pics. I really don't want to get new springs (just put poly bushings in these) or remove the S/R so I was just hoping there was some other solution. Guess I kinda want my cake and eat it too!! Thanks.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode