LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Mikuni/Weber sidedrafts?

A few questions:

-Anyone run these?
-What are your experiences?
-Do they run steady on hills?
-Any problems besides hanging low and sucking up water?
-Any good places to buy them? The only place i've seen so far is Calmini for $800. Someone has to sell them cheaper.

Thanks!

Lonny - Redmond, WA
87' Stomper, 1.6 EFI, SOA, Missing Links, Z-bar Eliminator, 5.125RP, 4.16TC, lockers, bead locks and 33" Boggers
http://www.mystomper.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 12:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Mikuni/Weber sidedrafts?

A few questions:
-Anyone run these?

I ran the Mikunis for many years.

I fiddled with them for a couple years trying to get them balanced. Don't waste time trying to do it yourself. One day I took it into a shop that builds circle track racers, they put it on the computer and it ran like fuel injection from that day forward. Oh the years of wasted frustration.....
Get it set up by computer and you'll love it. Expect lots of power. Also expect crappy gas milage.

Great on side, up, or downhills.... once you have it correctly dialed in.

They're always setup for larger engines than the 1.3 or 1.6 Samurai. Downsize your venturis to a 28 or 29mm and you'll keep it from 'loading up' all the time. Very easy for the DIYer.

-Any good places to buy them? The only place i've seen so far is Calmini for $800. Someone has to sell them cheaper.

Do NOT buy the Mikuni. It is a good carb, but it has been out of production for several years now. You cannot buy replacement parts for them, seals, jets, etc. Get the Weber DCOE dual sidedraft. Same great design, but it is under current manufacture.

'Fast Freddies' is a place I had good luck with in the past on buying dual sidedraft parts. They advertise in 4x4 magazines periodically and are located in So Cal.

http:// www.rocky-road.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 03:20 PM
Can't Get Enough

A few questions:
-Anyone run these?

<font color=blue>I run them on a 1.6 Tracker engine.</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Run great out of the box, but they do need smaller venturis. Mine load up all the time. Having experience with side draft carbs I would recommend the DCOE over the Mikunis, but both are good carbs. The PH40 Mikunis were actually designed by Weber. I have a 50mm DCOE that I use on my turbo drag engine and it is one of the best side draft carbs around. My gas milage has gone down slightly too.</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>They run pretty well at all angles. You can stall out on a steep incline and the engine will fire right back up.</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>I second what Glenn says about engine size. I run the single 50mm DCOE on a 2.3L engine. In the VW world, dual 40mm webers are used on 1776cc engines and larger. They are good for up to a small two litre engine.</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Fast Freddy's (they have a website) or eBay. Capn_Crunch bought a set for a ridiculously low price - I think less than $350. I paid $600 for a brand new set still in the box off of eBay. You can still find some parts for the Mikuni's such as venturis, jets and rebuild kits. The DCOE is still being made, they are just redesigning the manifold.</font color=blue>

87' Samurai sitting on jack stands in driveway under constructionů stay tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 03:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what about baby Do's anyone ever tried those if so how'd they work if not why?

Drive fast and take chances.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks for the info guys.

I called Fast Freddy's and they had good prices on the 40mm sidedrafts but they said there isnt a manifold made for the suzuki.

Is Calmini having custom manifolds made or does someone sell them? If I could buy a manifold it would be easy to find a set of webers.

Lonny - Redmond, WA
87' Stomper, 1.6 EFI, SOA, Missing Links, Z-bar Eliminator, 5.125RP, 4.16TC, lockers, bead locks and 33" Boggers
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 09:40 PM
Can't Get Enough

Someone has put a manifold on eBay every once in a while. I saw it listed two separate times but I think it sold last go around. It was for a pair of Weber DCOE carburetors. If you were not in any big rush, I would wait for someone to either list a set of carburetors here, iZook or on eBay. A used set usually sells for around $400. Just be patient and a set will come around. If you did find a manifold it would be very easy to find some Weber DCOE carburetors, however the hard part is the linkages. You are talking about an adjustable linkage for a set of dual side draft carburetors. Not something you just mangle a piece of flat stock and make in an hour - very complex. Good luck and if you have anymore questions give me a yell. You have my email address. I am the guy who sent you that 3-way valve a couple months ago. What is wrong with your fuel injection system you are currently running?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Addict

I am mostly researching webers in case I cant get the fuel injection running perfect in the next month or so.

The first wheelin trip with the fuel injection it ran like crap. It was blowing black smoke (fuel) real bad and kept acting like it was running out of gas (fuel pressure would drop). I would turn the truck off for about 10 seconds and start it back up and it would run fine, still blowing smoke, but not running out of gas. On the way back to camp I poked a screwdriver in the gas filler to open up the flap and it would run fine for a bit.

So basically I think the stock gas tank wasnt venting properly and was building up suction or something. Probably because I was told to use the vent line for the return line since it was bigger. Also the sammi fuel and return lines are too small.

Right now I am putting a larger fuel and return line in and also putting in the Trackers fuel tank. Hopefully this will reduce the fuel pressure and it will run better.

Lonny - Redmond, WA
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 05:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

How many galons is the tracker/kick tank and is that a fesialbe mod?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 07:04 AM
Can't Get Enough

satchmo88 - Problem running the 36mm Dellorto's is finding a manifold. Besides that, they are down draft carburetors, not side draft. At one time I was thinking about mounting a single 40mm Dellorto/Weber down draft carburetor or even a Holley Bugspray on my 1.3L intake. The only problem with the down draft Dellorto/Weber carburetors mounted on a 1.3L intake is height. The carburetor is about 5-6" tall, the adapter plate would probably eat up another inch and then after you drop a 4" air cleaner on top you have somewhere around 10" of carburetor!

Glenn - You probably have figured thes out by now after fiddling with them for so long, but this will give others an idea of how much air those Weber/Dellorto/Mikuni carburetors can flow. One Weber 48mm IDA down draft carburetor with 45mm venturis will flow about 330cfm of air per barrel. That is 660cfm per carburetor and a total of 1320cfm for a set of dual IDA's! I have 40mm venturis in my 48mm IDA's for a small 2 liter engine. It is no wonder that those dual 40mm Mikuni's need to be choked down with 28-29mm venturis on a 1.3-1.6L Samurai engine.

lojones - Keep working on it, I think you are on the right path. It sounds like a fuel delivery problem. What kind of fuel pump are you using and what pressure? There are some pretty knowledgeable people here on this BBS concerning the FI systems, me not being one of them. Maybe you should repost asking for help.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 11:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info zoomy...I was wondering that cause I know they are very popular as well as readily availiable with VEEEEEEEDUUUBBB's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode