Zuk won't run, need help ASAP! SORTA FIXED... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

Zuk won\'t run, need help ASAP! SORTA FIXED...

After installing the winch and body lift, the Zuk won't run. I wanted to take it out today to road test it, but there is no way it'll start. It ran fine before, it'd start right up without even being in the vehicle.

Here is what I did to it:

...Clutch switch bypass
...Installed Raider gauges (hooked to oil sending unit, battery, and dash lights, but it worked after I installed them)
...Rehabbed the battery terminals, cleaned them up and locked them down. I was careful not to touch anything else so as to cause a short.
...Installed winch
...Installed Body lift
...Wired radio

Is it possible I smoked the ECM when I removed/reattached to battery terminals? Like I said, I was careful to not ground anything, but this is the only area I see that could be the problem, I smell plenty of fuel. Is there anyway to troubleshoot the ECM? Would this likely be the cause? I did remove the positive side first and put it back on last, could this have smoked something?

I looked in the mostly useless Haynes manual and it mentioned a "fusible link". If this is the black wire coming off the battery post, it is fine from the post to the connector, but I have no idea of where it goes after that. Is there anything else to check? Main fuse box?

I doubt it is just flooded, I held the pedal down to clear it and it made no difference. I don't want to run the battery down so I can diagnose it.

I tried to start it with just carb cleaner, and no-go. It won't fire.

Any help you guys can give me would be great. I'm new to these things, most of what I have wheeled with (minus the TJ and Trooper) are old enough and simple enough to diagnose easily.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 08:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Zuk won\'t run, need help ASAP!

The fusible link is what went bad on mine that caused it not to work. The wire had a broken spot inside the insulation. I replaced it with one from autozone that has an actual fuse in it.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 84 cj7 Laredo [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Superior 1 piece, more to come.....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 08:05 AM

give us more details as to how it doesnt start... as in, "turn key, nothing happens... turns over fine, but doesnt seem to get spark..." that kind of thing....

having smoked an ECM myself, that is probably not your case (be thankful)... when mine went out, it blew the coil/instrument panel fuse everytime i moved the key to on... to make sure though, you can just reach under the glove box and disconnect the plug from the ECM... when i did this, mine fired right up, but would not idle... this is because the ecm controls the idle... if you disconnect it and it still doesnt start, the ECM is not your problem...

when my ECM shorted out, it also blew my fusible link... yes, it is the wire coming off of the positive post going into the connector, but that is the only place you have to check... if it is blown, it will be right there... also, if this is out, you will have NO electrical power anywhere in your car... im thinking this isnt your problem since you didnt mention a lack of electricity and mentioned not wanting to drain your battery...

once when i replaced the distirutor o ring i messed up the timing and mine wouldnt start... i wouldnt think this would be your problem since you didnt really mess with any engine stuff, but you never know with these things... they go crazy every once in a while....

hope this helps a little...
ill try and think of more things that might be your trouble...

Steve [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'88 Suzuki Samurai
'99 Toyota Tacoma (Tow Vehicle)
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

Is that the black wire I mentioned? It looks fine and I tested it with my multimeter, 12.2 Volts, it's getting power. Thanks for the suggestion though, I'm kinda desperate as I have a run to attend Friday morning, and still have some work to do.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 08:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Are you getting spark? You said you have fuel right? How about your fuse panel did you check your fuses. Blowen fuse might indicate a problem with electrical changes.

Jason

I Work to Wheel, because I wheel, I work.
http://www.geocities.com/zuk_tonka/zuk.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

OK, I checked the ECM like you mentioned, and nothing changed. It still won't start, this is kinda a good thing (at least I know where the ECM is now!).

Yes, sorry, I also check the fuses, but they are all fine, and seem to go to non-essential systems as well, except for the ignition circuit. Are the fuses anywhere else?

Everything else works fine, all the lights, gauges, radio, beeper for the key switch, etc.

I touched nothing mechanical in the Zuk, nothing under the hood like the distributor, so I doubt it's the timing.

I also doubt it's the fuel pump as I can smell fuel and if that were the problem it would have fired under the carb cleaner. I'm guessing it's electrical, but it's only a guess.

Thanks for the help Steve & Jason.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 08:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds like you plugs might have fouled while you where working on it. Let us know how it goes.

I Work to Wheel, because I wheel, I work.
http://www.geocities.com/zuk_tonka/zuk.html
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 08:26 AM

yeah, you would think that its electrical since that is the only thing you have changed since it last ran... its hard to believe though since no fuse is blowing and all your other stuff works fine... try disconnecting the winch and see what happens... you woudlnt think this would matter, but electricity is a tricky little sucker... it really shouldnt be the clutch switch, since if the switch isnt working (clutch not pushed down), the starter wont turn over...

thats where i would start though... go back and undo the things you did and see if anything changes... ussually though when you mess something electrical up, you will start blowing fuses...

how long was it since it had been running?

'88 Suzuki Samurai
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 08:29 AM

i know the haynes manual sucks, but it got me through 2 years of messing with my zook... it actually has better pictures of certain things than the factory manual, and it didnt screw up my brake drawings like the FSM (i have an 88 car with an 88 manual and it shows only one brake line goign to the rear... WRONG!)

anyhow, it does show you how to check elctrical resistance in the coil, something i did when troubleshooting my problem... but i would think that if the coil were bad, it would blow a fuse... who knows? try checking that since the coil is absolutely nessacary for the car to fire.

'88 Suzuki Samurai
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 08:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds like you may have streched some wires when you did the body lift, It's real easy to do if you wind the body up too high to get the blocks in. Check the earth wire at the back of the engine block to the distributor and the three gearbox wires with plug connectors. These are the most likely to strech and disconnect.

Good luck.

Let us know how you went.

86 LWB 3" Body & suspension, 5.12 gears, Locked F&B. Factory canopy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode