Body lift question/problem-UPDATED!. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

Body lift question/problem-UPDATED!.

What is it with Zuks? It only (ONLY!) took me 14 hours today to put the measley 2" body lift on, and that was with the online instructions posted previously.

I made my own lift blocks, got the bolts (6 of which were too long anyway, good thing I had shorter ones laying around), and the stud extensions. Finding all the stuff did take about 4 hours, but that included meals, driving (anywhere up here takes a minimum of 45 minutes due to the remote location), and "getting psyched" to install the lift.

I used the Hi-Lift and scissor jack, and nothing went right.

By the way, I have some diamondplate rocker guards to sell cheap, the previous owner decided to pop rivit them into rust, so guess what popped off when I put the Hi-Lift underneath?

All of the bolts came out fine, but very few went back in OK. After fighting with it, they're all in and bolted down.

Here are my questions.

1) What do you do about the fuel filler? It's not even contacting the metal filler piece. How do you extend it?

2) The steering shaft. I drilled out the 4 plastic pieces, right down to bare metal, and soaked it with PB Blaster, but it wouldn't move, even with a hammer. After the lift, I see about 1" of new section from under the firewall, so I know the shaft is not expanding. How do I "help" it along?

The front brake line was fine, but I'll drop it more anyway. It sure looks a lot more normal with the body lift in place, the 32" Swampers don't dwarf it anymore.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 11:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Body lift question/problem.

well I remember someone sayin you did not have to extend the filler unless you used a 3" body??

P.S. did you use those boat rollers??

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

Yes, I used the boat rollers, and my fill tube doesn't contact the flex tube, at all, with the 2" lift.

Is there a way I can stretch it for a little more length?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 12:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

2) The steering shaft. I drilled out the 4 plastic pieces, right down to bare metal, and soaked it with PB Blaster, but it wouldn't move, even with a hammer. After the lift, I see about 1" of new section from under the firewall, so I know the shaft is not expanding. How do I "help" it along?

well on putting body lifts on some dodges and chevy's we always heated the shaft and tapped it with a hammer maybe thats what you need to do to

Flaming Zuki [/b]"It is dangerous to be sincere unless you are also stupid"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 12:33 AM
lilzeus

Be careful how much you heat that shaft. You will melt the plastic and have a sloppy shaft. The 3incher I had for a long time said to extend the shaft at the steering box out a bit on the splines. I ran it like that through everything under the sun and it was fine. Just dont over do it. The filler neck will need to be cut and put a peice of pipe in between the spot where you cut it. The peice of pipe came with my body lift kit. Cut it where its straight and is going up and down. Watch your intake tube for the carb/injection, it might get a bit tweeked. If you have those. Watch the fan shroud, the fan might start smacking it.

ICQ# = 3859170
There's a new Sami website in town, and its...
http://members.home.net/micahis
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 12:57 AM
Alfie

On my Zook I fitted a spacer in the shaftline where it bolts together near the steering box. The spacer was a rubber re-inforced with canvas or somesuch. Shaped and drilled.
Can't help with the fuel filler hose, mine still fitted with the 2" lift.
HTH
Alfie.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

Maybe I'll try tweaking the hose. It was 1 AM when I finally finished.

Thanks for the heads up on the intake tube. I'm going to extend the passenger's brake line down tonight and see what else needs adjustment.

Just FYI, I spent $45 on all the stuff to install my own 2" lift, and about 14 hours as well tweaking everything into place. That is probably about the cheapest anyone could do it for. If I had to do it again, I'd probably just buy one of the pre-made kits, it'd go a lot easier and wouldn't cost that much more. I had all the tools needed to make my own, so I would NOT recommend anyone without a decent supply of tools trying this.

I'll let you all know how it holds up, I may be taking it back off again and going to a pre-manufactured if this shows unfavorable signs of wear. I'll be putting it through some rigorous paces in the next 2 weeks on wheeling events.

The plus side is that it looks like a factory lift, and is a lot tighter than before I installed it. Those 2.5" round blocks are huge as well, they're larger than the factory ones by quite a bit.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 09:37 AM

mines a 2 inch lift and i did not have to do anything about fuelfilter or filler hose . nether did i have to do anything with the stering shaft .or the front brake lines.

RUN IN TO YOU LATER
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

I didn't move the front line due to it being long enough, but the fuel filler and steering shaft did need to move. Is anything of yours stretched?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 10:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

what is it yall are takin about drillin 4 plasic steerin pieces??

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode