Tire /Rim Size - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Tire /Rim Size

Worked out a deal with Loweguy for his tires ,31's, but not keeping the rims. I have a set of stock rims and was wondering if I should mount them on the 5.5's or look for a set of 7's or 8's? Will the tires footprint be smaller with the 5.5 rim? Thanks. Jim

http://sites.netscape.net/riodiusa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 01:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tire /Rim Size

No the footprint would not be affected...You could use stock rims as so I have heard people usin ??*12.5's on stocks but none bigger than that!! Bottom line matters if you want to pay for rims......HOw wide are they anyway if they are 31*10.5's then they should fit on stock it just will not stick out like some people like!!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

They are 31x10.5's. When you say they will not stick out is that because of offset? Will they rub on the springs with stock rims? Thanks. Jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 02:08 PM

i'm running 10.5 "wide swampers on stock rims with good luck. the footprint is affected if you run high pressure because the 5.5 "width causes the tread to round out thus the shoulders don't make full contact--no problem with low (15-20 lbs pressure on road-lower off) no rubbing problems except left front rubs at full lock full compression--solved by panhard bar or spacers under wheel as i did. good luck!!

cueball
88 hd-top,1.3with weber, calmini cam,headers & 2" exhaust, jacobs ignition, 3" national spua , 4.16 tc gears, 88.5 5th gear,29x10.50 swamper tsl sx's
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 05:41 PM
zukiman

The 31x10.5's will mount on stock rims, but those rims really are too narrow for the tires.

My spare tire is a 33x9.50 BFG M/T mounted on a stock rim, and despite the tall sidewalls and narrow width, the tread is very "rounded" because the sidewalls are really pulled in. The shorter, wider 31x10.50's you have will really wear unevenly in the center if you mount them on stock rims.

A general rule of thumb is to mount the tires on rims that are 0-2 inches narrower than the tread's actual width. Obviously, larger tires have more room for variation than smaller tires.

Most 33x12.50's have about a 9-to-10-inch-wide tread. The narrowest wheel you'd really want to mount them on is a 7-inch-wide rim. I had my 33x12.50's on 15x8's and that was (in my opinion) the ideal size. My current 33x14.50's have a 12.5-inch-wide tread and are mounted on 15x10's which are almost too narrow. Their height (as tall as some 35's) helps make up for that. At street pressure, only the center 9 inches of tread actually touches the ground because of how narrow (for the tire's width) the wheels are. But this helps reduce the rolling resistance from so much rubber rolling on the pavement, and it helps protect the edge of the rim and holds the bead better when aired down.

Most 31x10.50's have around an 8-inch-wide tread. A 6-inch-wide wheel would really be pushing the limits of width differentiation, and the stock 15x5.5 would be too narrow. If it was me, I'd go with a 15x7 wheel for the 31x10.50's.

-- Geoff Beasley

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 11:59 PM

Seems like youd pop a bead going that wide.Why do you say that the footprint is no different with the 5.5s??Wider the rim,wider the print,right?

Hey,I know a shortcut......[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 06:24 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Jim first thanks for the decals for the NE-fabfest I will be handing them out at the melt. 2nd Max has a set of
15x7 white spoke rims that he bought last year and only used down in paragon, (Not right off set for 33x12.50)
he only paid 25 each new so I think he will be lower
for the set. (They are the same type I ran on my 31's last year no rubbing.) Just another option. (You should run the right rim. 15x7 is good for 31's.)

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Glenn, I'll get a hold of Max about the rims. If you see him tell him that I'm interested in the rims and he can give me a call. You have my number. He maybe could even give them to Daxe when he comes down to get the chrome ones so no shipping. Glad you got the stickers in time. Have a great trip. Jim

post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 06:47 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Well He's sleeping up in my guest room so thats no problem... (Doing a 16 v swap at the last moment on his wifes zook. (Going well but man...) I Know 2 of the rims are still mounted with 33's. I dought we can get them off before the melt so it will be a week.

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Time no problem at all. I won't even have the tires until next week. Just get all thoses rigs ready!! Time grows short. Jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode