AutoZone (Neapco) U-Joints/Snap Ring Info. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Addict

AutoZone (Neapco) U-Joints/Snap Ring Info.

There has been some discussion about the AutoZone u-joints over the past month or so. Just prior to this I had changed all my joints and threw out the original snap rings/c-clips. I couldn't get the joints free up not realizing that the problem may be with the snap rings. Wildweasel sent me an original snap ring so that I could try to find a match. Those that come with the AutoZone u-joints are .051" +/- .002". The one Wildweasel sent to me measured .047" +/- .002" -- a measureable difference. Especially when you consider that there is one on each end of the joint which doubles the error.

I e-mailed AutoZone and didn't hear anything for weeks. During that time I was searching local hardware stores and the net for the right rings. The only ones I could find locally were approx. .042". A bit thin. However, I found a snap ring manufacturer (Rotor Clip) http://www.roto-clip.com that produces metric snap ring that is exactly the same (+/- .001") as the OEM clip. I request some samples. While they were being shipped, I received the following e-mail.

"Mr. Monroe,
As the manufacturer of u-joints to Autozone, we were forwarded a copy of your complaint. We have received very few complaints about the 1-1557 u-joint in the recent past. However, we sell only a few thousand of this
part number per year for several different Dodge, Mitsu and Suzuki applications. It is possible that there is a slightly different version of the u-joint or yoke that we are not aware of. I would like to discuss this with you over the phone to get the problem resolved as quickly as possible. I can be reached at ...

Sincerely,
Mike Rogers
Product Design Engineer
Driveline Aftermarket Group
Neapco, Inc."

I called Mike Rogers and spoke with him about the problem. He said that he has seen instances where instead of using a standardized snap ring, a company will use a specific kind making it extremely difficult on aftermarket manufacturers. I told him that I believed I had found a solution to my problem through Rotor clip - where Neapco also obtains snap ring. However, when the discussion was over, I think it was pretty clear that Neapco doesn't intend to make any changes because of the low volume they sell of this joint. It is also used with other vehicles besides the Samurai as noted in his e-mail. On a side note, I also learned that Neapco is one of two major u-joint manufacturers and depending upon where you live, you will find the same joint being sold at different stores.

To get to the point, the metric snap ring DHO-25 from Rotor Clip Inc. is a perfect replacement http://www.roto-clip.com/dhospred.pdf. I received enough to replace all of them in my shafts today. I did two shafts this evening and they work perfectly! Rotor Clip is not a direct seller though. However, a quick request to their sales dept. should get you info. on the nearest dealer to your location.

For those that don't run on the road much anymore (or those that keep their OEM clips), this infor. may be useless but I thought I would pass it along for those who may be interested.

I'll be back.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 05:39 AM

Re: AutoZone (Neapco) U-Joints/Snap Ring Info.

so to make a long store short dont break your factory clips and save them. thats true the only way they would change it is if they probly got alot of hassel .

RUN IN TO YOU LATER
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 08:28 AM
I Do This For The Glory

That's good info, thanks for doing the legwork. I'll file that one away for future reference.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 11:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Standardized that's funny!

Drive fast and take chances.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode