Trouble Installing Amp And CD Player ..--UPDATE - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Trouble Installing Amp And CD Player ..--UPDATE

Here is the problem.. I just bought a CD player, 300 watt Amp and some other things for my zuk (speakers and such). On wed, i set it all up and it worked perfectly. I just had everything laid out on the seats, nothing bolted down. So yesterday i made some nice brackets to mount everything up high, and now some new problems came up.. When i turn the key to the Acc position, and turn the music on, everything is fine. When i turn it to the Start position (so now everything can be operated like turn signals) and turn it on, after about 10 seconds the sound gets all weird, like all staticy and such. Also when i turn the windsheild wipers on, you can hear the noise of the motor through the speakers! Same goes with the signal lights.. and when you turn anything else on theres a little click everytime it is turned on or off. I dont understand why it does this when the key is in the Start position and no the acc position. I wired the power supply to what the instructions said. ON the CD player i put the yellow memory wire to the positive battery termanal, the ground to the negitave battery, and the red positive wire to one of the white wires under the dash that i belive powered the stock radio, these wires are controlled by the ignition switch. For the amp i have the memory wire going to the other white wire under the dash, also controlled by the ignition switch. Ive tried everything i can think of but it doesnt fix it. Ive ran the 3 power supply wires for the amp directly to the battery, doesnt help, ive ran the Cd players to the battery, doesnt help. so in other words i was bypassing the ignition swith, trying to see if that was the problem.
I tried powering the amp by a seperate spare battery i had, and the noise went away! Im thinking it has somthing to do with other things drawing power from the battery, but i still dont get why that has anything to do with it, it does this with the engine running too.
Now, with the key in Start position and the Cd player on, i connected a speaker to the output wires on the cd player and it was fine, no noise no matter what i did. This is really really annoying me becuase im trying to get it done soon so the truck can be moved.. Has anyone else had this kind of problem? Also the return/exchange policy at this store sucks, in order to get an amp or cd player exchaned its goto be installed by a professional
Heres an old pic of my zuk on a rock

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-475291-rockcrawlin.jpg (75.8 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 05:56 PM

Re: Trouble Installing Amp And CD Player in Zuk!

sounds like you ground is too far away. try finding another grounding point within 2 feet of the amp. the closer the better. also do you have the amp and the deck running off the same power line? if so what gauge wire did you use for constant power? may want to try a larger wire. try the ground thing first, i think that'll fix it.

http://suzukisteve.rockcrawler.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Ok cool, got my ground really far away accually, many feet.. the amp is in front of the targa bar, above your heads between the seats, i have the ground running to the -batery termanal.. Im using this crappy small speaker wire for the power supply, i really should change it, it was getting hot hehe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 06:09 PM

the small wire could also be a big part of the problem. ground and larger wire should do the trick. hope everything works out for ya. if you need any more help let me know.

http://suzukisteve.rockcrawler.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 06:30 PM

As Steve stated, I would first start by moving the ground. A bad ground can cause many problems with noise in the system on stereos. Also replace that power wire with something heavier.

Typically when I wire a stereo in, I always ground it out to the body. I have seen aftermarket plug wires introduce noise also, but not the kind you are getting.

Mark
1986 Suzuki Samurai soft-top
1999 Toyota Tacoma
http://members.home.net/marvinmartian
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 06:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well this is comin from a person that has run a sound comp stereo. I had my zuk set up to run 134Db moderatly.

1 Run no smaller than 8 guage wire to the amp
2 Spend the money and buy good quality rca cables( if you are thinking Wal Mart think again)
3 Keep all power wires away from your rca cables
4 Find a good frame ground

As for the deck being wired I can't remember which wire is the ignition wire for the deck.

Ask all the questions you want and I will try to help you out. Later Hammy

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

OK i took care of the small wires for the power supply to the amp and it helped a lot, no more noise.. BUT, when i turn on the signal lights, or the wipers the noise the motor makes and the clicking the signal thing makes comes out of the speakers now! What is with that and how do i get rid of it? This only happnees when going through the amp, when i connected a speaker directly to the cd deck, it was fine! My ground is like 2.5" long with thick wire.. well accually i doubled up some speaker wire for now but that should work ok right? Is there anything i should change on the wiring on the cd player?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 07:36 PM

i have had this problem befor anton when i was in competion sound show running 4 12,s 2 600 watt amps and 300 watt amp for , 2 8s ,4 6s, and and a 100 watt aamp for all the tweats , the only way i evry got ready of the noise was to have a extra battery hooked up just for the stero stuff , you might try hooking your power strat to your battery and your ground 2 that help al little but a extra battery is the way to go ,or boomer caps but them things are 150$ a piecse and the extra battery takes care of that here is whats happen your turning on your exc,s and there pulling a surge through yourh battery and your amp is senstive to power surges hinse it makes noise. the extra battery or boomer cap fillters it out .

RUN IN TO YOU LATER
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 08:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Trouble Installing Amp And CD Player ..--UPDATE

Anton, first of all... GREAT LOOKIN ZUK!!!!
second, check your wires, if they are the cheap kind, id look into that. if not, then its probably the ground.

nice zuk!!!

~GooT~
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Do not drink and park, accidents cause people.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Re: Trouble Installing Amp And CD Player ..--UPDATE

Ok, i talked to a electrician friend and he said to go to the store and buy a noise filter or whatever to put in the power supply line to the amp. I did that and it helps but not totally gone...Who cares, its good enough and its just an off-road vehicle anyway! this thing is LOUD and sounds GREAT!!! Thats just with 2, 150 watt speakers and a 8" sub! a few more days to the melt!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode