Evry1 going to ZKYMLT - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Evry1 going to ZKYMLT

Sorry to bother you but i wanted to remind you. BRING CAMERA'S and VIDEO CAMERA'S Lots of Video footage, especially if you think someone is gonna roll, keep it on him. Reminder though, anyone shooting footage of a dangerous situation remember this STAY OUT OF THE FALL LINE ! That means if the vehicle were to roll, are you under it? In the way? It doesnt meant that if your behind a vehicle your in a safe place. The fall line is this: if you where to roll a rock down the hill a rig is going up, which way down does it journey?

Lots of people there, so im wondering if we shouldnt list off a few basic helpfull hints. Its good to review this stuff before a big event like this. Ill start it

1) One spotter, one driver. The rest of the crowd around the rig no matter how much you hate the line, dont yell it to the driver. Mention it to the spotter at a time that is appropriate. Not in the middle of an attempt. Drivers use a spotter YOU TRUST not someone you do not know. To many cheifs and it confuses things which equals slower lines.

2) Bring water, and lots of it for drinking. Seriously, bring water, not pop or caffiene drinks, water. You can bring what you want, but its essential.

3) My pet peive is a person going up a steep hillclimb and parking so that only two vehicles can park behind them. There so excited to see the next person behind them, that they shortchange the whole line and its a cluster fudge behind them when someone cant get up the hill. Park off the path if you can on the side, leave the top of the hill open.
4) Bring toilet paper, suntan lotion, and breath mints. No one will want to talk to your stinky self if your breath wrecks. I scare people off all the time.

5) When rolling, or about to roll. Take your hands off the wheel and cross them on your chest. I have not rolled yet, but i hear thats the thing to do, and i intend to do it, unless someone has logically better advice. Dont let your passengers bail on you if you can help it. PASSENGERS, dont ride along on the hard stuff and expect not to roll. Stay in the vehicle and keep your legs in at all times till the vehicle stops. The driver generally needs your weight as a counter balance, and he can direct his vehicle under a stable load. An unstable one is when your passenger leaves without warning.

6) Bring spare parts, axle shafts like the long rear one, hubs, carbs, etc.

Feel free to kick in wisdom at any time. We need a little during this event.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 03:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Evry1 going to ZKYMLT

great words of wisdom max, thanks. might bring some spares with me. who knows.

EVERYBODY, if you dont have a cb, please get one. makes rides sooo much more enjoyable.

the bad lands is full on straight ups n downs on many of the trails. dont attempt a up until the clear has been given on the vehicle in front of you.

max, agreed completely on the water man. bout all i carry in cooler.
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 03:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

"One spotter, one driver"

Couldn't agree more. Seems like most of the times I get stuck is when I'm listening to too many folks. Know your spotter, trust your spotter. Also make sure your spotter knows his left from his right (or yours!). Did you hear that Yankee Bob?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Other hint. Use finese. Anyone can give it the go-juice to get up and over. The real talent it to do it effortlessly and without damage. The right pedal is the breakage pedal. Don't know about you all (and I know Max will agree), trail fixes suck balls, even if you get to try out the new on-board air system.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 04:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The spotter thing, I am really serious about that one.
Nothing I hate more than 10 people shouting advice. I will get down right nasty if it happens to me. (I think that our guide in paragon will never forget me though!) When spotting keep an eye out for the truck(Don't get run over) and then worry about the guts of the truck, Thats what matters, if it is about to smack a rock on the diff or transfer case tell the driver if possible. If they are fully shieded as I am I expect to hit parts and will want to slide up and over things on my guards. (I care about driveshafts and steering linkage.) See ya all there!

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode