body lift, do or not do - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

body lift, do or not do

howdy, I am putting a 5.5" spoa lift on my sammi. I already have the 1" lift shackles. I have the 1" wheel spacers, and a set of 15x9" rims of a ford f-150. I am now pondering a body lift. Should I do a body lift, should I do a 1", 2", or a 3". Where should I buy the body lift, and who get's it to you the fastest, and who has the best lift. What are some draw backs of a body lift, and has anyone lost a body mount and wished they didn't do the body lift. I ask my fellow 4x4's this because you have been there, done that, and broke it some how some where. I wait for the knowledge you are bound to put forth.

Jimmie & MONZUKI

"God dones't have to hand out brains every day!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 01:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: body lift, do or not do

For about $30 you can do your own 2" bod lift. I used 2x2x3 steel box iron. Drilled one hole for the stock bolt, and another opposite for the bolt to mount it to the body. I refused to use those bolt extension units as they just don't seem sturdy enough for me in my non-engineer opinion. I could be wrong, but it was just as easy to drive another bolt in and gives me peace of mind. Retained stock bushings, but check to make sure yours aren't cracked and worn before re-using. I simply didn't have the money that weekend or the patience to wait to get some, and mine weren't in bad shape at the time. didn't have to adjust anything or replace anything. 2' is alot, especially with the other lifts you have on your rig. I took two floor jacks, loosened all the body bolts, and lifted the drivers side about 5 inches at each end of the tub, placed the spacers, let the side down, then went to the other side, rinse and repeat.

But do you really need to lift your body? the only reason I lifted mine was to make clearance for my tires. With the 2" bod lift, 2" s/r lift, my 32's just barely rub at full compression. When I do my next suspension lift, 3" or 4" It will look symettrically appealing as well as fully functional.

Neal the Zukiguy

"If it is '...a Jeep thing...' I hope it isn't contagious"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 03:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There is a another way as well...BOAT ROLLERS!! I can not wait until I can try this cause it seems it would ride a lot nicer than steel?? I do not know if you can get 3"'ers but the total cost is like 30 bucks!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 03:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I have a 2" body lift, and despite the concerns by many, I love it. It afforded me more tire clearance AND, the most important to me, I have free and clear access to my undercarriage. I can reach the top of me gas tank, t-case and tranny all with ease. I can change the oil filter without popping the hood.

I wouldn't recommend a body lift for a truck that sees mostly road use. Off road fine, on road BAD.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 03:29 PM

In my opinion if you don't need the lift I wouldn't do it. It just increases your center of gravity without suspension to compensate for it. My friend had a bad roll over Memorial Day weekend... Barrel rolled 7 times. Anyway, I'm not blaming it on the body lift, but he was the only one with it and the only one that rolled. It was just that little extra lift that threw him off. When he replaced the body he decided to leave the body lift off this time. In my opinion, it's just not worth it unless absolutely needed.

http://suzukisteve.rockcrawler.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 04:50 PM
4xRonin

I'm with Yankee Tim on this. I've run the Sky mfg 2" body lift for a couple of years now and have no intention of taking it off anytime soon. Two points brought up I thought I might add my two cents to. It does increase the center of gravity but not nearly as much as two inches of suspension lift. I am an engineer and have no problem with the bolt extension units. Conversely I hae no problems with the square tubing design either. I would avoid a three inch body lift though. The headache factor goes up considerably.

Scott Whitmore
"It's not that it's able to do the job. It's that it does the job so well"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 07:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Actually, a body lift affects C.O.G. less than a suspension lift does. Less parts are being lifted on the vehicle.

That said, a flexier suspension can certainly help create a more stable vehicle in many situations.

http:// www.rocky-road.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 07:41 PM

2 inch body lift is the way to go if you go 3 you will have to do something about your gas filler tube

RUN IN TO YOU LATER
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

howdy RRO,
by chance could you tell when my lift might come in. My wife is on my butt. I order it in May, you might remember me, because I next dayed it and the post office gave me a little bit of a problem and you all had to go pick it up. It was about the 25th of May.

Jimmie & MONZUKI

"God dones't have to hand out brains every day!"
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 01:05 AM
Alfie

Yeah I agree with RRO, with a body lift you are just lifting tin, mainly.
You lerave the heavy stuff behind.
2" is fine. 3" looks ugly. And is a nuisance in other ways already quoted.
But with all the lifting you have already. is anything mora than 1" overkill ?
Alfie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode