Long shot CSC driveshaft question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Long shot CSC driveshaft question

OK, I've got a long shot question.

For those of you running the CSC YJ kit and spring under, what is the long and short driveshaft lengths for the rear? I had ordered the kit a while ago now and Dave at Asian Auto wasn't sure what length to have the rear shaft made as. The front is fine since the new one is shorter than stock and extends long enough. But what about the rear shaft?

If I can't find this out, I will have to wait until the kit is installed then take the measurements. My only problem is once the measurements are taken, the shaft still has to be made.

What temporary quick fixes can I do if I can't get a shaft in time? I really want to make it to the Suzuki on the Rocks run but won't be able to if I don't have the rear shaft issues sorted out.

Mark
1986 Suzuki Samurai soft-top
1999 Toyota Tacoma
http://members.home.net/marvinmartian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 09:04 PM
4xRonin

Re: Long shot CSC driveshaft question

Arizona Driveline, the company that makes the shafts is familiar with the lift and has made several shafts, both front and rear for others running the CSC kit. You can contact them directly and/or contact CSC directly. Good luck.

Scott Whitmore
"It's not that it's able to do the job. It's that it does the job so well"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 09:16 PM
4xRonin

My apologies Mark, I missed the spring under part of your post. I still think CSC would be the people to ask. Best of luck.

Scott Whitmore
"It's not that it's able to do the job. It's that it does the job so well"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 10:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i installed the csc YJ kit on a friends zuk spUa. we didn't have to make any changes to the rear shaft. the front shaft will NOT work. he now has a spOa suspension and d/s spacers.
you can install the kit and save up for a custom shaft later. but it the stock shaft will work fine on and off-road. at least it did for us. it also offered 4.5" of lift.

build it, break it, then build it better.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 11:09 PM
Old Hand

My csc kit is spoa and i tried using a 1" trailtough yoke, and this past weekend I bottomed the driveshaft out (too long) and ripped the side of my t-case off. Talk about a pain in the A$$. I had to take out my low gears and put them into another tcase.

-Ryan
'88 Sami. Moderately modified. Two track mind
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 11:46 PM
Old Hand

First off the rear driveshaft was not a product of CSC's..
they do not offer it or the front driveshaft as a total package!
I had to buy my own front driveshaft. I had a SpOa with CJ springs on the rear, so I had a spacer to make up for the short stock DS...

Once I talked myself into the retail cost of the front one..I got the kit from Fred...then after using the front one, I figured why not solve the trouble of blowing u-joints every so often and cure the bad vibs (go way back in these messages, and read about it)

I went to Oscar and had him build a custom driveshaft for SpOa Zuks...using the same big ass u-joints as the front one. anyone can either order direct from them or save a buck and order from us..now that we have sold so many, and buy them in groups of 3 or more we get a break on them...and I get them wholesale now instead of retail like mine!

best bet is to wait until you have your suspension like you want it, then order one (where ever) and get it right the first time. you will have it within a few days, still time to get to SOR...
that is if the CSC suspensions start rolling back into production in time?

Dave

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 02:14 AM
zukiman

I have the CSC YJ kit on my Zuk in a SPOA configuration. The Sumo front driveshaft from AAPA will work fine with a SPOA or SPUA; it has enough slip yoke travel to accomodate almost any setup you could ever run. In back, I am using a stock driveshaft with a 2-inch Trail Tough slip yoke. I had a 1-inch slip yoke before, which worked fine until I exploded it. So far the rear driveshaft works fine, but I will be getting one of AAPA's rear Sumo driveshafts eventually though, so that I don't keep blowing up U-joints.

-- Geoff Beasley

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 08:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The YJ kit in SPUA is only about 3-4" of lift. Your stock rear driveshaft should be all right for this application. In fact,we don't recommend using any spacers/extensions until you get into the 5" lift range. Front you'll still need to address though.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 09:46 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I think glenn is right. I think I've got the 4.5" spoa kit on my zook and the drive shafts are just fine. I have the shimms in the rear end (welded them too). There is not enough room to even put a spacer in the thing..

got zook?
http://www.geocities.com/bik3r
29x10.5x15 SS TSL *SX*, Calmini Header, SPOA, Lights, Dupicolor, Z-bar, Xenon lights, diamond plate rockers, tubes front, rear, & sides!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 09:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

it is a lond shot but.....why couldnt you get a rear driveshaft and mate it up front??!!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode