What's the low down on the Rotary swap?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 09:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What\'s the low down on the Rotary swap??

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to replace my 1.6 16 valve Sidekick engine for something with more power and torque?
I'm considering quite a few options but a 12A rotary does seem to have some advantages when compared with other options.

Aside from any reliability issues, what do you guys think about the power and torque characteristics of the rotary engine for 4wdriving? Some people say they are really peaky and others say that they have a really flat torque curve.

I don't want to go to a V6 as the only real option here in Australia is a buick based 3.8L cast iron engine backed by a T700 (too long and heavy!!!), but I'm having trouble finding a decent option in the 2-3L size with a 5speed or auto that is short enough to fit in a sammy. So any other suggestions??

Thanks.

Zooky Matt
'88 Sierra,16v efi 1.6L, 4.16 transfercase, Hilux diffs, 4.88 ratios, Locked rear, SPOA, 33" Swampers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 12:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What\'s the low down on the Rotary swap??

whacha plannin on doin with that 16ver??

anywho it matters what kind you find..like if it is a front wheel drive vehicle not only do you have to come up with a custom motor mount but you also have to come up with a custom drivetrain...Now if you find a Rx7 then I think those were live axle rear wheel drive..anyway just pull the motor and you will probably want the tranny to and bolt it up to your t/case (probably custom as well??!!)...I have heard a lot of good things on these engines they may not have that much HP but they definitely have got some torque cause they definitely can get on it!!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 12:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

hey man, T D Graham is the one to talk to. dont have his email, hes in indiana i believe. use the izook locator to find him. or if your on topica, hes on there too. i wheeled with him at the melt last year. his rig was sweeeeet...
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 03:05 PM
Veteran

i drive an rx7 as my other (reliable) vehicle and there is about 100 hp and about the same for torque. But if yopu are gunna run gears and a crawler case it would be the perfect choice as they like to use the upper rpm limits, so i've been told.:-{]

SIZE DOES MATTER 85 LWB 31'S LINCOLN LOCKER RR,CTR FORCE DUAL FRICTION, CUSTOM BUMBERS & GAS TANK PLATE, SPOA BOBBED 6 INCHES CUSTOM SPORT CAP
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 03:24 PM
Can't Get Enough

Studly - He lives in Australia. If you were thinking about buying it, it would cost you a pretty penny in shipping alone.

87' Samurai/1.6 Tracker/40mm Mikunis/header/2" exhaust/5.5" SPOA/shackle lift/CJ-Sami springs/Cross over steering/4" Pitman arm/31x13.50 TSL-SX/Pumpkin caps/Roll cage and bumpers in progress...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 04:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

oh [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]!!

%$#^%$#^*%^%#!! nobody: lives, zuks, sells in jacksonville florida!! Is anobody out there a jax man?? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]!!!!!!

Thanx
Studly
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 04:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I may be moving to Tampa in August. That's half the state away from you, but hell.. have Zuki, will travel.. right? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Neal the Zukiguy

"If it is '...a Jeep thing...' I hope it isn't contagious"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 04:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah woo'hoo come on down brethren!!!! I hope more guys decide to move down to florida cause this is a beautiful state to livein....Yes it is true we do not have snow!!

Thanx
Studly
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 05:18 PM

a few years ago i had a 12a in a sami--the power was great for both highway & off road. with a homemade header, free- flow exhaust & holley 390 4 bbl it would turn 9000 rpm's & was absolutely flying!! but it was so loud that i put a quieter exhaust on it which cut the max rpm's to about 7000--still plenty fast. plenty of torque & good tractable power off road. i used a maxda 4 spd tranny & mated the flange to my trans shaft after cutting it so short that it was mostly just 2 flanges--stil didn't have much vibration problem. the front diff housing will destroy your oil pan without at least 3-4" of lift--even then i'd run a longer bumpstop on that side. my main problem was cooling if i ran it hard on the highway-had my radiator recored but still overheated at high speeds--an overdrive tranny would help. i would do the swap again but the 12a is a rare bird here & they cost a bundle to have rebuilt & from what i'm told it takes special tools to do the job which are hard to get. good luck if you do it!!

cueball
88 hd-top,1.3with weber, calmini cam,headers & 2" exhaust, jacobs ignition, 3" national spua , 4.16 tc gears, 88.5 5th gear,29x10.50 swamper tsl sx's
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 05:26 PM

hey zukiguy!! i live in the tampa area & would be glad to show the wheeling spots around the area. let me know when you get here!

cueball
88 hd-top,1.3with weber, calmini cam,headers & 2" exhaust, jacobs ignition, 3" national spua , 4.16 tc gears, 88.5 5th gear,29x10.50 swamper tsl sx's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode