35x15.5-15 Super Swamper TSL/SX - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

35x15.5-15 Super Swamper TSL/SX

I scored a set of 35" Swampers really cheap yesterday. So far I have a 5.5" SPOA, 2" longer shackles (1" of lift} and about 2.5" of spring lift. I figure it to be just about 9" of lift and I could fit 33's with no problem. I have the makings of a 2" body lift if needed, but I would like to stay away from it if possible. These tires measure 34" exactly. I will be ordering a set of 15x10" Willamette wheels today with 2.5" backspacing. These are the two questions I need answered.

1) How much more lift am I going to need?

2} I don't have the money for a GRS t-case right now so I will be using only ring and pinions. So what size ring and pinion would be best?

87' Samurai/1.6 Tracker/40mm Mikunis/header/2" exhaust/5.5" SPOA/shackle lift/CJ-Sami springs/Cross over steering/4" Pitman arm/31x13.50 TSL-SX/Pumpkin caps/Roll cage and bumpers in progress...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 08:20 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: 35x15.5-15 Super Swamper TSL/SX

Do they make a 6.72 or 7.17 for the Zuks?

Just kidding.

For 34's, I'd look to the realm of the 33's, so I'm thinking along the lines of the 5.12's. Too much smaller and you'll have problems with the size and breakage.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 08:33 AM
Keyboard Implanted

hey man, if your gonna be flexin it a lot, i would guess you would want nother 2-3 inches guessin. not sure though. depends on how you want to lift it. can get lifted springs, give you 3-4 i think, scrap that stuff, fab your own YJ kit. not hard now that i have mine n looked at it. or a body lift. or you can always just sell me the tires!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
you definately want the 5:12s though.
good luck man.
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 08:36 AM

A few things, your will really need steeper then the 5.12, and i think they make a 5.33 yukon. Without the grs1 in at the very least its not going to matter that much at all, its going to be brutal on your clutch. One thing that first came to mind was "boy i sure hope tim has power steering" because your going to need it. Those swamper dont flex all that well when aired down, we took the stems out on a set of 33's last year and it was zilch for flex, the sammi doesnt have enough weight. To answer your questions, the 2 inch body kit might be your cheap answer, but id address the rims your about to order, get the 2 inch backspacing, not 2.5" to keep off your springs, plus you widen your stance to offset your height a little.

This also address the fact, you have done all this wonderful work, and i see that its coming, but ill push it for that matter. Tim, you need a roll cage in there. Safety first, fun next.

so in review to your direct questions, 1) the 2 inch body lift should do the trick, just watch your upwards travel on the bumpstops, and watch your Gas filler tube guard.
2) Get the lowest you can go, 5.33 or 5.80 I think calmini has that to offer. If its just stock sidekick/tracker ones then all you have for a choice is the 5.13's. Here begs another question. If you cant afford the grs1 but you can the r/ps then why not get the grs1? The rps are still close in price, if you saved a whole two weeks, i bet you could just splurge on the transfer.....

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 08:46 AM
I Do This For The Glory

You could always hook a vacuum pump to the tires to get them to "flex". [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Max is right, there was no flex on Yankeetim's rig.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 09:06 AM
Keyboard Implanted

If you ever wheel it hard off-road you will start breaking axles left and right. Esp you, You like to go fast...(See your rep is out..) 35" tires are yota diff time as far as I am concerned.

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 09:07 AM

I guess that is why you were trying to call me yestarday huh Tim?

35's, I think you just need to settle down on the tire thing and finish up all your other projects first before jumping into 35's. You keep dumping money into a vehicle to go 4 wheeling that you have no intention of ever doing any real 4 wheeling until your kids get much older. I think you vehicle looks good now and can tackle most trails out there without the added headache of 35's. I have done all the trails at Tellico with 32's, and there isnt a trail in Waldork area that requires 35's, unless you are going to start mud bogging..YUK.. just my 2 pennies worth, talk to you later..

Anyway

"Happiness is a Belt Fed Weapon!"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 09:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I run those 35" TSLSX tires and use 5.38 gears. They work great for my vehicle.

You might be fine for lift. The main thing I've found with those tires is that they are VERY WIDE. You'll probably have to do some extra clearancing/cutting on your front end so that they don't rub since they have such a wide arc.

If you feel like ordering the gears from us, ask for me when you call and I can tell you how we've been gaining a good 3-4" more clearance on our Zuks up front for super wide tires.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

JEEPN - Pretty funny! I was thinking about the Yukon 5.38's.

Billy Bob - Have a pair of 33 Swamper's that you would like to trade? I have been thinking of the RRO rear up front swap with CJ springs out back and missing links.

mxnhid - I know what you are saying about power steering. By straightening out my drag link with the Breeze cross over steering it was like adding a mini power steering system. The roll cage is in progress. Just have to decide on a final design. I think I am going with a rear bed rail style. It will use the entire rear bed lip as a rear anchor point. For the front I am not going on the side or around the dash. I don't like all of those bends. Either straight through or in front of the dash.

wildweasel - I am afraid that I will be snapping axles with the 35's if not easy. I couldn't pass up the deal on the tires. Should I tell you?!?! Okay - straight up trade for my three 1/2 tread and one bald-ass 31 TSL/SX's! Lav25 saw them and he could vouch for how bad the one tire was. I think a bologna skin pretty much sums it up.

lav25 - Like I told wildweasel, couldn't pass it up since the deal was heavily in my favor. No dumping money here - they were a straight up trade. I have little money into my Samurai besides the engine swap. I still have my 31" retreads that I can run for now. Then once I get to the point that I have caught up on all of my other projects then tackle getting these meats underneath my rig. I have been so busy with softball that I barely had time to go pick up the tires today. The good news is my Daughter is the relief pitcher in tonight's All-Star game. If she doesn't pitch tonight, she will start tomorrow. Softball will be over soon and then it will be fab fest every night in my garage. By the way, I turned about 1/4" off of that 2" extended slip yoke and it is on my front drive shaft. Those front drive shaft vibes are all gone now. It was that 1" drive shaft spacer.

Glenn - Thanks, I think you are right about the lift. I would like to stay away from the body lift. I think the 5.38 gears will fit the order too.

87' Samurai/1.6 Tracker/40mm Mikunis/header/2" exhaust/5.5" SPOA/shackle lift/CJ-Sami springs/Cross over steering/4" Pitman arm/31x13.50 TSL-SX/Pumpkin caps/Roll cage and bumpers in progress...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 02:05 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Tim, if BillyBob doesn't have any to trade, I may be interested. What condition are the 35's in? I was looking to go to 36's later, but 35's would be a step in the right direction.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode