Desperate for Help with my EFI - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 09:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Desperate for Help with my EFI

A new problem has surfaced with my fuel injection (out of a 1991 Samurai)and it seems no one can figure this one out. At idle the truck surges and drops repeatedly almost to a stall, then surges again before it finally stalls, or even worse slams to a halt. Even if I manually rev it it just wants to stall. I was told by my local Suzuki dealership technician that it's probably the PCV valve or the idle speed controller (ISC). Well I changed the PCV and the problem persists. A mechanic friend thinks it might be the MAP sensor. Can someone please help me diagnose this problem. I'm scheduled to leave Tuesday morning for Zukimelt and it must be fixed by then. If it's the ISC or the MAP will anyone at Zukimelt have these parts there? Maybe NCO?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 09:54 PM
Addict

Re: Desperate for Help with my EFI

Did the problem just start (was it running well until now) or are you doing the installation now for the first time and having trouble?

I'll be back.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 10:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This is a new problem. The truck has run fine since the installation until now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 10:20 PM
Addict

Have you checked the fuel pump and filter?

A vacuum leak could also cause this. If you have a vacuum tester - like the mityvac (or just use your mouth and see they hold vacuum o.k) you could check all your emissions diaphragms - egr, egr modulator, ... might check around the intake for leaks as well.

The other good possiblity would ge the throttle position sensor (TPS) that sets on the side of the TBI. I think there is way to test this -- let me check the only book I have on it (Haynes).

I'll be back.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 10:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am trying to remember what caused that problem with my 92 EFI before I repowered with the Rotary. I believe mine did it one day when I was flushing the radiator and block. It started to surge almost to a stall and then back up to idle and down and up just like you are saying yours does. I think what I found was that there is a sensor in the water system that shuts the engine down if the water runs low and I had less water in the system than required but as it filled up a little it would run back up again making the pump run faster and pushing out the water again. First make sure the system is full of coolant and no air pockets, then I would find that sender and see if it bad. Later ...Harry...

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 10:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys, your both a great help and I truly appreciate it. Zukinator, I will be towing the truck to my mechanic friend tomorrow after work and we'll check all the items you noted. Please let me know what your manual says. SamurazdaRX7, my friend thought about the coolant level also, but we checked and it is fine. Something you mentioned has me thinking though, what if the water pump is failing? Maybe it isn't pushing enough fluid to satisfy the sensor?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 10:55 PM
Addict

Here is what the manual has on it. Let me know if you can't read it. I can e-mail the pages to you.

I also noticed while looking around in the manual that there is a fuel press. regulator on the side of the TBI as well. Maybe something else to check. -- ??

I'll be back.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 11:05 PM
Addict

Having some trouble with the file size -- should have it here in a sec.

I'll be back.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 11:07 PM
Addict

Here is what the manual has on it. Let me know if you can't read it. I can e-mail the pages to you.

I also noticed while looking around in the manual that there is a fuel press. regulator on the side of the TBI as well. Maybe something else to check. -- ??

I'll be back.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-473483-Page1.JPG (89.0 KB, 6 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 11:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Zukinator, yes please email the data to me so that we may have it for tomorrow night. Greatly appreciated. It's worth a couple good ol' Canadian beers at Zukimelt, or some whiskey - your choice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode