Auto Zone U-Joint C Clips - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Auto Zone U-Joint C Clips

In the past, I've had trouble getting the 'c' clips to seat correctly. Recently, I've replaced more u-joints than I care to remember, however I did discover a little 'trick' to get those thicker 'c' clips to seat properly. It seems too simple, but I thought I would share it anyhow.
After installing the new u-joint, press in one bearing cap a bit deeper than it should normally sit. Now install the new 'c' cilp and make sure it seats properly. The opposite side of the u-joint now will be too far out to install the clip so press it in. Install the new 'c' clip. If it doesn't seat, take a suitably sized implement of destruction (ie., a socket to fit inside the 'c' clip)and give it a little tap. The 'c' clip should then seat. If not, repeat till it does. Then using a small screwdriver, double check to see that both are seated by gently taping the clips.
I'm far from being a good back yard wrencher and it took a while for me to figure this out. So far, it has worked really well with the thicker 'c' clips.
I hope this can be of some help to those using the Auto Zone (1-1557) u-joints........

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 02:29 PM

Re: Auto Zone U-Joint C Clips

GOOD NEWS!! i replaced two u-joints today when i put in my
extended slip yokes (i always ruin the old joints taking
them out) the new 1-1557 auto zone joints now have the
thinner c clips-but i always use your method for seating
clips on all joints--oldzuki

88 spoa samurai/weber/isky
97 sidekick sport
those that can samurai those that can't ?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 07:13 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Auto Zone U-Joint C Clips

I destroyed a U-joint yesterday while installing my 2" slip yoke and luckily Capn_Crunch left one here when Robzuk and I did his SPOA. Thanks Capn! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I use the same method when installing C-clips too. I always keep my old C-clips around just in case I have problems seating the thicker ones. So far I have not had problems seating any but thanks for the tip anyway.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

87' Samurai/1.6 Tracker/40mm Mikunis/header/2" exhaust/5.5" SPOA/shackle lift/CJ-Sami springs/Cross over steering/4" Pitman arm/31x13.50 TSL-SX/Pumpkin caps/Roll cage and bumpers in progress...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode